Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Pro LCD "white" spots

Hi everybody!
I have a late 2007 3.1 version MacBook Pro with a 15 inch matte LCD screen.

Recently, after hearing someone mentioning his problem with MBP LCD screen, I found the same glitch on mine.

I have a couple of spots on the right and on the left side of the screen which look brighter than the rest of their surroundings, when observed on a uniform light background. These spots aren't glitchy pixels, since they don't have sharp edges. They are not exacly circular and have somewhat 5*7 pixels area (with fuzzy edges). They are visible in both Windows and Mac Os, as well as during boot up.

Basically it looks like some layer of the lcd sandwich is letting through more light from the background illumination than it should.

Since I still have both warranty and AppleCare, I was wondering what can I count on here, is such a bug a warranty case?

I noticed some posts here where people report the same problem, any luck with resolution?

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.5.4)

Posted on Jul 4, 2008 2:48 AM

36 replies

Jul 21, 2008 3:45 PM in response to duodeus

The same exact problem appeared on my monitor today, after about two months since purchase. Two bright spots to the left side of the monitor.

I've been a relatively loyal apple customer with a history of purchases topping $10,000, but recently i've started becoming quite disappointed with their products.

Prior to the bright spots, came the vertical bars that appear on the monitor on random occasions for to get rid of you have to restart or put the computer on sleep mode and wake up again.

I hope there is a solution to these spots since they don't seem to be going away. In addition, i do hope apple doesn't use the same excuse as they did with the bars. Namely, it is a firmware issue that they are trying to resolve (for quite some time now).

Sep 11, 2008 12:54 AM in response to duodeus

Yup, I have a mid 2007 MBP 15" and recently noticed a white spot on the right of my screen. It's amost as if one of the LEDs is shining through brightly.

That, combined with my flaky keyboard (endless typing errors not due to my fingers) and a major screen-not-waking-up-from-sleep problem, is making me think I'm gonna have to bite the bullet and take the machine back in (fortunately I have 3-yr Apple Care).

Sep 16, 2008 12:51 AM in response to duodeus

My dad and I both have the June 2007 model and both of them show the exact same kind of defects. His one has a bright streak-like one on the left side of his screen, mine has a tiny one right at the bottom where the Dock is and a faint splodge on the far right.

I honestly can't say when these appeared as I may have simply not noticed them until recently. We did take my dad's one to an Apple Service Provider in Singapore (while we were on holiday) and they were prepared to replace the LCD. Sadly the part didn't arrive in time for our departure.

We took the same machine to the Apple Store in Southampton (UK) and the Genius said that lame prepared speech about how you'd need "six of these spots for it to warrant a replacement". He also kept calling it a dead pixel problem despite me many times explaining it was a reflective layer problem and that the Service Provider in Singapore was prepared to replace it (I even showed him the form).

I was extremely disappointed by the service from that particular Genius. He in the end simply refused to have the machine serviced. It is still well within warranty, by the way.

It just seems to be a common defect with these particular models. To be honest, I'll probably get one of the design refreshed models when they come out later this year. Does Apple do a trade-in thing?

Nov 17, 2008 2:45 PM in response to discostu514

Hey Guys,
I have the same problem, a bright spot on the right side of the dock and a loud left fan, however i didn't purchase Applecare and the Macbook still hast waranty, do you they will repair it or would it be better to buy Applecare first?
The Macbook is the 15.5 model, so i am astonished that they still havent fixed it....

Dec 5, 2008 10:38 AM in response to duodeus

Hi everybody,

I have a 2007 MBP 15" matte LCD screen. I have a series of spot along the left edge of the screen. They are visible when the background picture is close to white or clear hue. I think they are similar to what described by duodeus. Unfortunatly my warranty is expired by few weeks and Apple Europe told me that I have to pay for the replacement of the screen. I'm very disappointed for this problem/defect after one year of utilization of the MBP. After almost 20 years of Apple computers utilization I'm disappointed.

Dec 15, 2008 10:53 PM in response to duodeus

Hi all,

I just noticed the same thing on my MBP this evening. About 1/3 up from bottom of the screen on the left side it a little white "smudge". It's sort of like a tiny 1/8 in comet, bright on the right with a fading tail. I purchased this MBP in the fall of 2007 along with AppleCare. I'm going to give Apple a call tomorrow to see what they can do about it. Will report back.

-Jason

Dec 27, 2008 11:04 AM in response to benj1989

benj1989 wrote:
let's make a big white spot topic of this one 🙂...
i hope Apple will recognize this problem..

Yes, let's make it! I had a macBook. Now I have a MacBook Pro 15'. I had same problem on my MacBook, and I have it on my MakBook Pro. This seems not to be a dead pixel. The color of the white spot changes with the change of the color of the displayed image. When the color is black, it is not visible.

I believe it should be some kind of mechanical dirt particles. This is how it looks to me.

And most disappointing is that I was refused a repair. Now my warranty expired and if I am to replace something I will have to pay for damage NOT caused by me. I will anyway do that, since I want a clear display. Suggestions?

Feb 5, 2009 9:09 AM in response to duodeus

Soorry to bump such an old thread. But more info can be found if you search for 'LCD mura'

The exact cause is somewhat hard to pin down however since heat, physical stress and latent defects all contribute to mura formation. In my experience though, this is a warranty issue if the display is only a few months old.

Feb 20, 2009 10:54 AM in response to 80HD

I have a Macbook Pro 15" late 2007 Model and Have two Small Blotches that just appeared on my screen as well. These are not from pressure, but almost seems as though dirt or dust particles have somehow gotten behind the screen. My unit is out of warranty so I am SOL, but this will probably be my last Mac purchase. The quality of Apple products have been suspect as of late.

MacBook Pro LCD "white" spots

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.