Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Old iPhone chargers and the iPhone 3G

As you may have noticed or read here, old 3rd party iPhone chargers will not work on your 3G iphone and when you try them you will get this error message: "charging is not supported".

I have done some testing and have found that the wall charger that is shipped with the original iPhone will work with the iPhone 3G. Plus old usb cables will charge the phone. If the old factory wall charger will work with the iPhone 3G then why shouldn't the 3rd party chargers. Both my wall and car charger from before are rejected by the 3G.

Does the old official charger working mean Apple is specifically disabling old 3rd party chargers? Could also contribute to the lower phone price.

Macbook Pro, Mac OS X (10.5.1), iPhone + iPhone 3G

Posted on Jul 12, 2008 1:50 PM

27 replies

Jul 12, 2008 2:28 PM in response to mlilley01

Didn't even think about the apple BT pairing issue.
How could that issue not be addressed.

I am a big fan of apple products and I most often keep my gripes to myself: But
to make the apple BT headset (which is one of the most expensive BT headsets on the market, and at best--not to mention plagued w. static/reception issues) obsolete w. the iP upgrade to 3G.

That's just insulting.

Jul 12, 2008 3:09 PM in response to jonnylovemac

I have Bluetooth through my Camry Nav system and it has worked beautifully with my 2G iPhone. And, famous last words, I don't anticipate any change with the 3G ... when I get it.

For the second car in the house, which doesn't have Bluetooth compatibility, I searched the Apple site and found reference to only the Jabra 5050 (I chose the visor style) as being compatible with 3G. Who knows??? Anyway I bought that a couple of weeks ago because it also works well with the current LG phone they use and presumably will work with the 3G they have on order. CA just began a new Hands-Free law on 7/1 so we needed to do something for the LG user and couldn't wait for the G3 release.

In the AT&T Wireless store yesterday, the Sales Rep told me that the 2G car charger will work with the 3G and that I don't need a new one. He also said that the 2G dock won't work and that the 3G will now be sync'd with the USB cable connection between phone and desktop. He also said that the AC adapter for the 3G comes in the box.

Jul 12, 2008 5:11 PM in response to mattathayde

Matt-
If you haven't already, go to:

www.cingular.com/order status/orderstatus

Select order#/confirmation #
Enter the # above the barcode on your receipt
Enter your zip code

That doesn't give the delivery date; an email I got did that, but it at least confirms that your order is in the system.

This is what I got from iCare@cingular.com
Subject: AT&T - Wireless Order Status Update

AT&T – Out of Stock/Back Order Notification
Check the status of your order at any time via our website by clicking here (the link takes you to the order_status address I gave above) or by calling our automated phone system at 877-782-8870.

Item Name Apple Iphone 16 Gb 3g Blk Phone
Item Number 69114
Quantity Ordered 1
Quantity Shipped 0
Quantity Back Ordered 1
Usually Ships In 5 to 7 days

Old iPhone chargers and the iPhone 3G

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.