Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Bonjour/mDNSResponder.exe Issues

* Moved here: Tim Gaunt, "Bonjour/mDNSResponder.exe Issues", 08:41am Sep 8, 2005 CDT *

Hi,

After a couple of somewhat irritating days of constant loss of DNS relying through my server I've traced the issue back to mDNSResponder.exe and the bonjour application, as soon as mDNSResponder.exe is executed my Router (D-link DSL-G604T) can't seem to relay the DNS info, has anyone else had this issue and know how to sort it? I've disabled it in services and atm its ok but only time will tell...

Any ideas would be apprechiated.

Tim

Posted on Sep 8, 2005 7:25 AM

21 replies

Sep 9, 2005 1:42 AM in response to Tim Gaunt

I'm having the same problem with my D-link DSL-G604T using Dell Dimension 8300.
I do not have the bonjour application installed on my computer and the router's firmware is up-to-date. I can restore and restart my router to get internet connection back but it only works until i use itunes again (when it closes again). Weird thing is, Skype still works.
Anybody have a good workaround for this? I've contacted the Apple technical support line but because I'm out of the 90 days cover, I need to pay £30 to fix a problem that Apple have created.
Tim

Sep 9, 2005 2:05 AM in response to Tim Laws

Hi Tim,

I think you will find that iTunes has installed Bonjour. What's happening is the DNC relay is getting messed up somewhere along the line so your router cannot map the domain name (www.somesite.com) to the IP address of the computer (123.123.123.123). What I would do first is navigate in Explorer to: c:\program files\bonjour\ and you should see a file "mDNSResponder.exe", thats the program that's causing the issues from what I've found.

How do I know if this is causing the problem?
On startup I would load task manager and it wasn't there however I found that as soon as I lost HTTP connectivity I would load Task Manager and it would be running...

Why does Skype still work?
Many messengers will still work (Skype, Trillian etc) most likely because they're using hard coded IP addresses in their program which means it doesn't need to connect to say www.skype.com to get the information they need (MSN doesnt do this hence you'll lose connectivity through MSN).

How to fix it?
I'm not on home so someone else will have to fill in the gaps but on pro the first thing to do is navigate to Control Panel --> Administrative Tools --> Services

Then scroll down until you see "Bonjour Service" double click it and in the drop down box "Startup Type" select Disabled and it its activated click "Stop"

Once you've done that, return to the file mDNSResponder.exe and rename it to something like mDNSResponderexe.jnk

Restart and you should be done 🙂

I hope that makes things a little clearer or at least explains things. If there are any Apple developers around I would be interested to know what its doing to kill the D-Link routers...

Tim

Sep 9, 2005 2:25 AM in response to Tim Gaunt

Hi Tim,

Many thanks for this. However, I just tried to reinstall itunes 5.0 and it get's stuck when unpacking the files. I get an error reading "Errors encoutered while performing this operation" and then hangs there.
Any ideas on how to solve this brand new problem?!!!
I really appreciate your last post - above and beyond the call of duty....many thanks!
Tim

Sep 9, 2005 2:36 AM in response to Tim Gaunt

Yeah, it's clean install - uninstalled and restarted the machine. The file just seems corrupted - tried everything.
Don't really want to download another copy as it's another 30meg download for something that may not work (and mess up my machine anyway!)
If your solution works, I'll post back later to let you know - like you said, really annoying when people just say "fixed"!
If not, i'll post anyway! Seems like people are having loads of problems with this - maybe a itunes 5.01 is on the way as we speak! 🙂
Thanks fo all your help!
Tim

Sep 9, 2005 3:36 AM in response to Tim Laws

Hey cool, glad to hear it worked for you too 🙂

Incase you're wondering what it's for, my understanding (though I stand to be corrected on this) is that it sends out a "signal" every now and again telling the remote server(s)/user(s) that you're online (and I guess ready to "share" something but why its messing with the router I'm not sure. (Please post if I'm wrong as I don't want people mis-informed).

Tim

Sep 9, 2005 4:20 AM in response to Tim Gaunt

I'll have to try this myself, I had the same problem with my bt voyager 2100 router when i installed iT5. I couldnt load up any websites on either PC on my network after I installed it. I uninstalled and the problem disappeared. It looks like this could be the problem, as if I restarted the router with the PC with iT5 installed disconnected there was no problem.

Sep 9, 2005 1:24 PM in response to Tim Gaunt

I have this problem using BT voyager 2100 connecting to bt yahoo broadband.

Thankfully i finally got onto someone at voyager help desk who was familiar with the issue.

Solution he gave me was to specify DNS server settings in WinXP network connection properties box (and not on the router itself - yes i made that mistake and its wont help for anyone reading this).

I have also just followed your advice regarding "bonjour" !

Thanks,
Mark.

(Would have been great to read this earlier today but of course i didnt have any web access then !)

Sep 9, 2005 4:50 PM in response to Mark Gammon

Hi...

Wonder if any of you can help me. I to have had problems with the BTVoyager2100 although I use Virgin as my ISP. I installed 5.0 and immediately I couldn't log onto the internet anymore.

As updating iTunes was the only thing that I had done, it was fair to assume that this was the problem. After using System Restore, I could once again log on.

Trouble is, I now cannot get iTunes to run. I have tried to repair it to no avail. When I try to launch it a box comes up saying that some of it's files are missing and that I must reinstall it. Re-installing it didn't work as "Some of the files are missing!"

I then tried to uninstall it and guess what, a box comes up and says that some of the files are missing and the process can't continue.

Back to the set up disk that came with the iPod. When installing from here, a box appears saying that there is a newer version installed and that it cannot continue with the installation!

Great, and all this started with the Bonjour.exe Why couldn't Apple warn us that there may be a conflict?

Any ideas?

Thanks is advance...

Gary

Sep 9, 2005 9:50 PM in response to Tim Gaunt

Hey Tim. You're basically correct about what Bonjour does. It's unfortunate that you're having all these problems with Bonjour, because actually it's a really cool technology. It's also unfortunate that the D-link DSL-G604T and BT Voyager 2100 routers are so poorly engineered that they can be crashed by standard DNS queries, but that's what's happening. You can also work around this crash by manually entering your ISP's DNS server IP address into the Network Control Panel, and that way you'll bypass the router's DNS relay. You can find your ISP’s DNS server IP address by going to the router’s configuration utility or web page.

Sep 10, 2005 1:47 AM in response to Tim Gaunt

Well, well. At least now I know I'm not alone. Down here in Australia I am having exactly the same problems. And after following every hint on the Apple list (over and over), I still lose my ADSL aconnection as soon as I install version 5. I have had moments of great despair over the past 24 hours: Nothing can be as bad as losing access to the web! I am up to the "give up" stage and intend re-installing version 4.9 now.
Look forward to more info when Apple have fixed these probs. BTW, I am running a NetComm NBS ADSL-2 modem router.

Cheers, Laurie

Bonjour/mDNSResponder.exe Issues

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.