Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone and compilation albums?

Can the iPhone iPod app be set to hide compilation artists in Artists mode?

I know this is possible in older iPods, and in Itunes by selecting "Group compilations while browsing", but the option in the iPhone seems to be missing.. unless I'm missing something. If this functionality isn't possible, Apple really needs to implement it, because I'm seeing hundreds of artists in that list that I really don't want to see!

Also.. if it isn't possible, can anyone suggest a way to emulate this functionality, without losing all my ID3 data? I wouldn't mind shuffling ID3 tags around, provided there's an app that can batch-process them, and provided I can change the tags back at some later date.

Any input would be appreciated, thanks!

- Ben

Macbook Pro 17", Mac OS X (10.4.10), iPhone 3G

Posted on Jul 16, 2008 9:26 AM

55 replies

Oct 27, 2018 1:09 PM in response to faridzadeh

compilations (various artists) the album artist tag has to be empty, then in ipod/iphone the complication is shown as 1 album, not every artist with the same album name differently

when the artist is one then the album tag can be empty or can be the artist name - in ipod/iphone the album is shown as 1 album

when the one artist albums contains feature artists (original artist ft. another artist) and this is tagged the album artist tags then the ipod/iphone will show them as differnet albums (compilation rule will apply)

hope it will helps and sorry if the problem has been answered before, pretty new in this forum

Jul 16, 2008 1:00 PM in response to ckbcowboy

Andrew J just isn't getting it. He is saying that in iTunes, the compilation "flag" is correctly honored and artists that appear on compilations do not show up on the list of artists on the Browser in Album View. However, the iPhone iPod app does not honor this flag and just dumps a list of every artist on the Artists page. I can verify this and am wondering why it is like this. Even on firmware 2.0 of a iPhone 3G this is a huge error/mistake/oversight.

Jul 24, 2008 12:17 PM in response to Ralph_London

Just found a useful tool for rearranging track data using apple script. I have moved the artist name to the composer name and changed the artist name to the name of the compilation - for my songs that are a part of a compilation. That way my compilations are listed as one entry on the Artist view on my iPhone....

Would still appreciate a fix from Apple to select whether to group compilations or not.

iPhone and compilation albums?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.