Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

GPS with no cell service

I am new to iPhones and bought the new one for GPS but if I get where there is no cell service, as in the national forest in Oregon last week, there is no service and hence no GPS. I think that dedicated GPS units don't have this problem but have never used one before. Am I doing something wrong or is there a workaround/solution to this?

SONY VAIO, Windows XP Pro

Posted on Aug 14, 2008 10:19 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 26, 2008 10:57 PM

Here's my experience on this topic. I was recently at a remote beach in SW Western Australia, with absolutely NO cell service.
However, i wanted to drop a pin in maps to pinpoint my location for when I wanted to go back.
If you open maps with no cell service, you WILL get just a blank screen - HOWEVER, GPS still works FINE, and allows you to drop a pin with no problems. When I got back to an area with cell service, there was the pin, in the correct location, now with the correct map.
So while it's not very useful when out of cell range, the GPS chip does know where you are, and you can mark your location for later reference.
33 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 26, 2008 10:57 PM in response to PGORDINI

Here's my experience on this topic. I was recently at a remote beach in SW Western Australia, with absolutely NO cell service.
However, i wanted to drop a pin in maps to pinpoint my location for when I wanted to go back.
If you open maps with no cell service, you WILL get just a blank screen - HOWEVER, GPS still works FINE, and allows you to drop a pin with no problems. When I got back to an area with cell service, there was the pin, in the correct location, now with the correct map.
So while it's not very useful when out of cell range, the GPS chip does know where you are, and you can mark your location for later reference.

Aug 26, 2008 1:40 AM in response to PGORDINI

You need a cell service. And you need one that is working together with your iPhone. If you put your iPhone in AirPlane mode, there will but no GPS info. For the moment I use the app GPS Kit (great one) and it only works when there is a cell service available. In Blegium I have no problem using it. But last month I was in Germany and Italy and there you can use all the cell services available. All of them work well if you use it for making a phonecall, but if you want to use the GPS function, you have to choose the cell service that is supported. In Italy the GPS unit was not working with 'I WIND', but it was working with 'I TIM'. In Germany I had the same problem. It was working with 'E-Plus'. Here in Blegium it works with all the cell services (BASE, Mobistar and Proximus)

Aug 26, 2008 11:27 PM in response to Ansuz82

Ah, in a word, NO that's not right.

It uses cell towers when it can't see the sky. (can't see the satellites).
With a clear view of the sky it knows exact longitude and latitude coordinates (usually to within 100 feet or so).

The reason the OP couldn't find their location is because it draws maps from
web sources. No maps, no display.

If geotagging was turned on, taking a picture would still yield a geotagged image.

Unfortunately, I'm not not aware of any way to get the numerical Long/Lat figures out of the phone. Maybe something like Snail Trail ( http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewSoftware?id=288352724&mt=8 )
or Breadcrumbs ( http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewSoftware?id=286545866&mt=8 ) or
gps Compass ( http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewSoftware?id=286550480&mt=8 )
from the App store would be useful in remote locations.

Aug 27, 2008 12:32 AM in response to PGORDINI

NO, as already mentioned iPhone uses assisted GPS, that is it has no satellite receiver and it gets this information from the cell towers to feed its GPS chip.

Yes, independent GPS units will use satellites directly and will work where no cell tower signal is being received by the iPhone. Conversely iPhone's GPS will work underground and in buildings where satellite signals cannot penetrate.

PGORDINI wrote: Am I doing something wrong or is there a workaround/solution to this?

Aug 27, 2008 12:55 AM in response to PGORDINI

A small word about iPhone and Google's GPS coordinates.

iPhone uses Google Maps, these are based on the pixel, this means they radiate outwards from the center, maps are read from the top left hand corner and as such are only accurate for devices using Google maps.

Use ordinance survey maps and use you iPhone's co-ordinate's and one will be about fifteen miles off target in a map block covering about ten square miles.

In other words, if the AIS and Radar breaks down in your cruise ship at sea, iPhone WILL put it on the rocks in reality. If you're a platoon commander and call in a fire mission from your iPhone, you'll miss by miles ~ unless, unless the fire base is ALSO using an iPhone ~~ 😉

Aug 27, 2008 2:36 AM in response to PGORDINI

I'm reading many information here. For me it's very clear...
The iPhone has a real GPS unit build into the device. It's working fine when you don't put the iPhone in AirPlane mode. When I put it in AirPlane mode there is no information available, not in googleMaps, not in other apps like GPS Kit. Just test it for yourself if you have an iPhone. It can be that when in AirPlane mode the GPS unit is also turned off. I don't know that.
If there is a cell receiver available it's working fine. In GoogleMaps you first get a blue circle (coordinates coming from the cell receiver) and then there comes a blue disc which will finetune your location and it is using the GPS information.
But when I was in Italy I had to choose the cell receiver that was working together with the iPhone. When I selected 'I WIND' it was NOT working. I waited for 5 minutes. When I selected 'I TIM' I get the exact spot after less than 1 Minute.
So if you can, take your iPhone and test it for yourself.

GPS with no cell service

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.