Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

There are 6 to 8 different iPhone 3G Models

I was over at http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1937 and I noticed that there are several different part numbers for the iPhone.

There should be at least 3 different part numbers (8GB Black, 16GB Black and 16GB White). But why are there so many in under the US and Canada? All the other countries have 3, except for the US and Canada?

Any suggestions? Which one is the latest one?

US:
MB046LL/A
MB048LL/A
MB499LL/A
MB702LL/A
MB704LL/A
MB705LL/A

Canada:
MB629C/A
MB630C/A
MB631C/A
MB632C/A
MB633C/A
MB634C/A
MB635C/A
MB636C/A

MacBook Pro + MultiTouch, Mac OS X (10.5.4)

Posted on Aug 21, 2008 12:09 PM

26 replies

Aug 22, 2008 3:49 PM in response to Sohaila

I bought 2 iphones; one for my girlfriend one for myself. Both were MB499LL/A . Mine works flawlessly except for the application lag issues however my girlfriends got the apple logo of death (where it get stuck on the apple logo and there isn't anything u can do).. So I returned hers to the store and got a new iphone which happened to have the same MB499LL/A part number; her new iphone has no problems. I had them update hers to 2.0.2 in the store to be safe (with no problems). So, just because you have a certain part number doesn't guarantee failure.

I work in I.T. so I have some experience diagnosing problems. In my humble opinion I believe there are 2 issues that could be causing all these problems.

1) A hardware issue created during putting together manufactured parts (the parts all work fine). i.e One of the parameters during part placement is incorrect creating a malfunction. So the theory floating around of an immature chip set is bogus (especially since most iphones work). If it was a chip problem all iphones would have problems which is not the case (according to Apple only 2% have issues).

2) A software problem: If I had to point fingers it would be at the Apple Application Store and/or 3rd party apps. In which case we will be fine. Bugs will be found, updates will be made... All will be good.

This is all just my opinion based on my own experiences.

Aug 22, 2008 10:30 PM in response to Kyn Drake

From the numbers posted, it seems that, at least for the us,

The first three are the three sku's for phones sold in the Apple Store, the second three SKU's are for phones sold in the AT&T store. Since the SKU as it appears on the box is a sticker, it could be applied to any box depending on where it's being shipped to, not because there's something different inside the actual phone.

There are 6 to 8 different iPhone 3G Models

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.