Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

HP Photosmart C4580 not detecting wireless network

Just bought a new MacBook with the wireless HP Photosmart printer. when I go to set up the wireless section of the printer I get an error message telling me the printer is out of range. The printer and router are touching. . . The wireless network is working properly as I am writing from it. HP tech support would not even trouble shoot the problem. I tried twice. Finally I contacted a friendly Mac rep who took me through trouble shooting and then, not having an answer, offered to replace/refund the printer or let me see if i could get an answer here. In the interest of gaining some enlightenment (and hopefully more instant gratification) I'll try here first.

Mac Book, Mac OS X (10.5.4)

Posted on Aug 27, 2008 2:01 PM

37 replies

Sep 16, 2008 7:59 PM in response to David Bales

OK, I was able to figure it out for my system tonight. My problem was that I wasn't switching my laptop from my normal wireless network to the "hpsetup" network that the printer is on. To switch networks, I just went into the airport menu (by clicking the airport icon in the top right corner) and clicked on "hpsetup". Once I was on the printer's network, I was able to properly go through the whole initialization with the setup assistant that comes with the installation CD.

Bottom line of the confusion for me? I guess I was figuring all printer communications would go through my existing network I use for internet. However, it seems the printer creates its own network and you have to log on to use it.

By the way, when I finish printing, I have to log back on to my personal wireless network to resume using the internet...

I hope that helps anyone that might have had the same confusion as me.

Sep 17, 2008 9:12 AM in response to RedBeard66

well, don't know what happened, but after restarting everything this morning, was able to print a page wirelessly via my existing (not hpsetup) network.

This is what I had done in-between times:

unplugged USB cable to HP C4580
reset WEP passwords to router (5x)
tried to download HP software upgrade (dead link!)
contacted HP tech support (email response: WEP key or Router problem)
ran HP setup Assistant (3x)
added printer in Print/Fax Sys Prefs (3x)
ran HP Printer Utility (3x, did not see any printer connected)

deleted all printers in Sys Prefs
and then added in once more

HP printer utility now shows the printer connected via Bonjour

Testing second print now...... failed.

One thing that is deceiving, is that there is no indication on the printer that it is actively processing a file. Even after the job has been successfully sent, the printer may remain totally dormant for another 3 to 5 minutes before a print starts to happen, and this is with small files.

Be patient, and good luck.

Sep 17, 2008 9:20 AM in response to David Bales

OK, try this:

If you can connect with Bonjour in the HP Printer Utility, go to your printer, and press the button by "Wireless".

In the printer on-screen menu, select Wireless settings.

Then Print Wireless Test Report.

From this, verify your Network Name (SSID) is correct.

Use the IP Address listed, and go back to the HP Printer Utility.

Select the printer (hopefully it is still in the list), and click on Add Manually.

Select IPv4, and then enter the IP address in the field below.

Have made three prints now, cheers!

Now to add in other computers, and see if it still works.

Nov 18, 2008 8:15 PM in response to David Bales

I am also have the same problem that you all experienced. I have followed the instructions that David and others have listed here and felt that they were pretty straight forward. However, when I go to print, and I check the job printing status it tells me: Printer is currently off-line. Offline.

I have no idea how to fix this. And how can it be offline?
-----
If I take the USB cord and plug it directly into my PC it works.
If I take the USB cord and plug it directly into my Airport express, it does NOT work. (error above encountered)
If I take the USB cord completely off, nothing still happens.

Thanks

Nov 22, 2008 8:23 AM in response to RedBeard66

I recently purchased a new Imac - 10.5.5 and a new HP photosmart C4580 printer. Everything appears to be working fine, however, when the printer goes to sleep, I can not wake it up - I have to unplug and re-plug the printer. Nothing happens when I press the OK or power button. When I goes to sleep, I can not print from my computer. Does anyone else have this problem?
I really miss my HP Laserjet 1000 printer.. is there an easy way to get the drivers for this?
Thanks

Nov 30, 2008 8:57 PM in response to SugarMedia

I got my C4580 to work wirelessly for printing and scanning, but it wasn't easy or pretty.

With the USB cable plugged between the Mac and C4580, I installed the CD software. When given the option to setup for wireless printing and entering my network name (SSID) and PSK (pre-shared key, the 64-digit "Equivalent Network Password" you get from the "Base Station" menu in the Airport Utility), an error message kept telling me the network was out of range. Yet it was only two feet away.

I switched to the "hpsetup" network using the wireless networks menu, opened a browser and typed-in the IP address that the printer provided when I chose to print network settings on it's small screen. The default IP was 169.254.15.233, but yours might be different.

The browser opened the printer's settings and, under the advanced network settings, I was able to enter my network name (SSID) and password (64-digit one). I selected Save at the bottom of this window, which then seemed to hang for awhile. I quit while it hung and it still seemed to have worked.

I was then able to add the printer using system preferences. I restarted the HP Setup utility, which had been previously installed, and checked all my settings until I got a "setup completed successfully" message.

It wasn't easy; several times I wanted to give up and return this unit. But the wireless printing and scanning is working well now and I'll give HP a pass for now, although they really need to clean up their software and installation process. I'll think twice the next time I want to buy one of their products.

Dec 1, 2008 12:12 AM in response to SugarMedia

I too have not been able to print wirelessly and for the most part, have given up. After reading this thread, I may give it another try.

The first time I failed, I called HP tech support (some guy in Canada) and one of the first things he pointed out was that my software was out-of-date. He had me delete the whole HP program, then download and run the new software installation. You might consider checking that.

Dec 7, 2008 9:23 PM in response to RedBeard66

OK, this is messed up still. I can't print wirelessly and after install/wireless configuration the HP software is saying

"Device Not Reachable -
The network configuration was successfully downloaded to the device. However to continue configuring the device in network, your Mac must have access to the device. So please make sure that your Mac has access to the Network : "..." and retry."

I am obviously connected to the same connection as the printer.

Is anyone else getting this error? Anyone? Help???

Dec 8, 2008 10:20 AM in response to Lucas Smith

It's been a while since I've tried to use the wireless printing option on my HP Photosmart. However, strangely enough, I seem to remember when I went through the setup, I was then able to "command" a scan operation in the wireless mode, but I was NEVER able to get it to print wirelessly.

You should consider calling HP tech support. When I called them, I got someone up in Canada who spent an hour with me before we gave up. By now, there may be some new software that will enable the wireless mode to work correctly.

As noted above from my previous post, when I called the tech guy, he told me the CD installation that came with the printer was no good. The first thing we did was to delete all software from the computer. We then downloaded the new (at that time) software and did a complete reinstall. I don't remember exactly why I "packed' it in, but we did give up since the so-called new software didn't work either.

I don't understand how HP can release a printer that doesn't work.

Now that I think about it, I seem to remember that I was able to print in the wireless mode from my PC, but not from my MB. I then went to the USB mode on my PC in the hope of using the wireless mode from my MB.

As for the printer, I think its a good one. The scanner is great, and the printer works fine with a cable. In my case, most of my printing requirements call for operation from my PC anyway so the loss of the ability to print from my MB is not a big deal.

Still, the wireless option is the ONLY reason I bought the HP.

Dec 25, 2008 1:28 PM in response to RedBeard66

Here is how I worked around this problem.

1) Connected to 'hpsetup' network via Airport menu
2) Browse to '169.254.67.217' (or the default IP address of printer which you can discover by using the printer's wireless menu to print the network configuration page)
3) Go to Networking/Advanced page
4) Configure wireless network settings to desired values and hit 'Apply'
Note: at this point the browser will hang as the printer is no longer on the 'hpsetup' network, it is instead configured for the wireless network you just entered
5) At the printer, disable wireless and then enable it again (via the printer's wireless menu)
Note: at this point the printer should be on the new wireless network you set in step (4)
6) At the printer, print the network configuration page from the printer's wireless menu (these should reflect the new settings made in step 4)
7) Back at your Mac, use the Airport menu to disconnect from 'hpsetup' and return to the wireless network you normally use

You should now be able to print wirelessly to the HPC4580.

Message was edited by: boz831

Jan 7, 2009 6:55 PM in response to Lucas Smith

I was having the same problem and spent endless hours on the phone with apple, linksys (my router), and hp. I finally got it to work by printing out the network configuration page via my printer then manually adding the url for embedded web server address given by the test page through system preferences (after i deleted the other printer listed). I added it as an hp jetsocket and then selected the driver from the list and now it's working perfectly. I just wish someone would have told me it was that easy on the phone.

HP Photosmart C4580 not detecting wireless network

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.