Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

To Engrave or Not To Engrave, That is the Question

I am getting a 30G and thinking about having it engraved. My major concerns about engraving are the following:
1. Is it "safe" to do so? (I mean, someone has to open the box and take out the ipod, and then shoot a laster bean on it...or is it all done by a machine?)
2. If something goes wrong (knock on the wood) with my new ipod and I have to return it for a replacement, would it be OK if the ipod has been engraved(ie "personalized")?

What are other pros and cons about engraving ipod?
p.s. I don't have any plan to resell it in the future.

Thanks all for replying and hopefully, I am posting under the right folder.

Cheers,
~sally

Posted on Nov 3, 2005 12:26 PM

21 replies

Nov 3, 2005 1:22 PM in response to sallycc

As you don't plan selling it in the near future, I would go for the engraved version, like I did. It makes it all the more special. I've got my wifes & my own name on it, and if you include a contact number, if you lose it, someone may return it. My brother-in-law from Venezuela lost his wallet in Belgium, and an Italian gentlemen phoned me on my mobile (he had a card with my details inside the wallet), and we got it back. The wallet also still contained the $300 which were inside!!

Nov 3, 2005 7:00 PM in response to sallycc

I got my new iPod last week. I had it engraved. It was defective and I had to return it. Apple offered me the choice to have my replacement engraved or not. They said it would take 2-3 weeks to get the replacement if I had it personalized, but 3-5 days if I did not.

So if your iPod is personalized, you can still have it replaced with an iPod that has the same engraving (assuming it is still under warranty.)

If you get an engraving without personal information in it, it may not affect the resale value. (Mine said "Get your filthy claws off my iPod!")

I do wonder, though, whether the engraving process is why my iPod was defective... Guess I will never know. For this reason, I elected not to have my replacement engraved. On a side note, I am glad I made that decision since the replacement they sent me was the wrong model. They actually sent me an old iPod Photo so I had to return that as well. I STILL don't have my new iPod... grrrr.

To Engrave or Not To Engrave, That is the Question

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.