Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Disney File Digital Copy - Doesn't Work!

This is just to share my frustration with Apple's lousy customer service and this faulty technology so others experiencing the problem don't waste their time troubleshooting a problem on their computer when it's clearly Apple's problem.

I purchased The Nightmare Before Christmas with the Disney File Digital Copy included, just so I could copy the movie to my iPhone. I already owned a copy of this on DVD, this was the only reason why I purchased it.

I placed the CD in my drive, filled out the information it asked for, and it opened iTunes. I was prompted for the code and typed it in, and immediately got "Sorry, the iTunes store is currently unavailable, please try again later".
I tried accessing other parts of the itunes store and everything else worked fine, just not this part. I called Apple customer care and the first person had me copy the movie from the DVD to the desktop and then try changing the extension and importing it. When that didn't work he transfered me to iTunes support. They insisted there was nothing wrong with the itunes store and it had to be my computer or firewall. I bypassed the firewall and connected directly to the cablemodem, still nothing.

They asked me to try another computer so I did. When I tried another computer, instead of the message that I can't connect to the itunes store, I got a message saying the code was already used, which was farther than I got before. At that point I was told the problem is software related on my computer and they gave me a new key to try once I figure out my software problem. I was highly skeptical that this was the cause, but decided to just wipe out my HD and install Windows from scratch and iTunes ONLY. When I attempted to activate the new code, guess what.. the SAME THING! It said the code was activated already! By that time support was closed so I had to call them back the next day.

I call them back, explain the situation, they then tell me to try it again tomorrow. I said "Why? Is there a known issue that will be resolved tomorrow?", their response was "There's no known issue, but you should try it again tomorrow." I responded, "If there isn't a known issue, then why the **** should I wait yet another day just to get the same error again and have to call back and wait another 45 minutes to speak to someone!?"
Their response? "I can't tell you that there's a known issue, all I can say is you can try it again tomorrow"

So clearly.. they're either trying to get people off the phone regardless of whether their issue has been resolved or not, or they know about the issue but in true Apple fashion they won't admit to it. When I complained further, I was told they were going to escalate the issue and I would receive two emails.. one from the person I was speaking with, and one from the person they escalated the issue to. I've yet to receive that 2nd email and I have wasted over 20 hours trying to watch a movie THAT I PAID FOR and can't due to Apple's crappy technology.

Lets see how long this message lasts on Apple's forum before they delete it..

-One ****** off customer.

Asus G1s, ..

Posted on Sep 7, 2008 4:26 PM

16 replies

Sep 8, 2008 9:20 AM in response to LI Keither

Well well.. I just spoke to the Disney people and according to Eric from their technical support issue, this is a known issue which only started a few days ago, they have had numerous reports of it occurring, and they expect to get back to me in a WEEK with information on how to use a product that I paid for but can't use. I'm not happy about not being to use a product that I paid for, but at least unlike Apple they acknowledge there's an issue.

Sep 8, 2008 5:48 PM in response to Katrina S.

I agree I'd rather have a realistic expectation set rather than one which is constructed to just get the caller off the phone and result in an aggrivated customer when it isn't met. That's the difference between Apple and Disney. Disney acknowledged the problem and set a realistic expectation, whether it's met I won't know for a week. Apple not only set an expectation it didn't keep, they intentionally provided false information and misled me to believe it was faulty software on my machine suggesting that I ultimately wipe it out and reinstall everything but antivirus and firewall software to see if the problem was resolved. Apple is a disgrace of a company.

Sep 8, 2008 6:58 PM in response to LI Keither

yup...just bought it....same problem. its amazing b/c i hear the same things about apple and their lack of acknowledging that there is a problem. i think they are told to say that b/c they want people to know how "awesome" their product is and not bad mouth it themselves. granted there are a lot of good things that outweigh the bad. its just that their support ***** bigtime and one hopes that one day they will realize to have better support in the future. i just hope they fix it quickly b/c dumbasses like me love the apple franchise and hopefully one day they will cater to us a little better when the fit hits the shan. either that or i hope one day they reap what they sow. this is ridiculous that it took me like 5 searches to find a decent thread addressing the problem. a better search engine perhaps?

all i know is in the future i hope they adress the problem a little better than this "wait and see" technique. i wanted to get this on the ipod....sigh....FIX UR PROBLEMS APPLE!!!!!! cripes...... F *!!!!

Sep 8, 2008 8:45 PM in response to Evan De Gorter

The same thing happened with my Blu-ray version. I tried activating it yesterday but got the "temporarily unavailable" error message. Today I got a receipt from Apple saying that I purchased it (for free) but when I tried to activate again, it didn't work. The "report a problem" link in my purchase history also doesn't work, it just repeatedly takes me to a generic iTunes support page. As of now, I still cannot get my digital copy to transfer/activate.

Sep 10, 2008 10:27 AM in response to LI Keither

Re: Disney File. I bought my copy of the movie the same day it was released, and loaded it onto my computer within 48 hours. I initially ran into the same problem. I subsequently checked all of my network connections, log in information, and ensured that I was actually, accurately, and legitimately connected to the iTunes store. Once I had ensured that I was connected fine, the copy downloaded without a problem. Perhaps I am singular in getting the program to work?

Sep 10, 2008 10:29 AM in response to The Literati

Oh, sorry. Missed the larger subject grouping (iTunes for windows...) I am using OS X. Perhaps it is not a problem with iTunes individually, but instead is a problem with iTunes / Windows. I know that all of my windows programs et cetra when I was using PC's and not macs never worked 100% correctly. Hopefully this helps, apologies if it does not.

Sep 10, 2008 10:53 AM in response to LI Keither

The reason it was not working was because Apple was doing iTunes maintenance. As soon as they released iTunes 8 and the new Quicktime, you were able to download the movie, regardless of whether or not you downloaded the new software. That would be why they told you to wait until the next day. Originally, iTunes 8 was supposed to be released on Monday, Sept 8. It didn't get released until Tuesday, Sept 9.
I had the same problem. When I remembered that they were doing another iTunes, I checked the boards to find that everyone was having the same problem.
And Disney is no better than Apple. There's another thread on the boards about the same topic. People who had Nightmare and Family Guy but couldn't get them to download. A few called Disney and had the Disney techs tell them "Sorry we can't help you" and hung up, as soon as the caller mentioned putting the digital copy into iTunes.
It's nobody's fault. It was iTunes maintenance messing up the Store.

Disney File Digital Copy - Doesn't Work!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.