Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Unkown Error 13001 occurs when loading iTunes 8

iTunes 8 was working fine for me for a couple days, but now every time it loads up I get the error:

The iTunes application could not be opened. An unknown error occurred (13001).

If I temporarily move my iTunes folder than the software will load correctly. Maybe my library got corrupted somehow?

Any ideas on what to do?

Windows XP Pro, SP2 - iTunes folder and library on external hard drive

Posted on Sep 12, 2008 3:53 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 12, 2008 3:59 AM

What do you mean when you say you move your library?

Just a thought...
If your library databases are on an external drive, have you tried a shift key start?
Hold down the shift key, start iTunes, keep holding the shift key until you are asked to choose a library, navigate to the iTunes folder on the external drive and choose iTunes Library.itl.
25 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 12, 2008 3:59 AM in response to Matt Fink

What do you mean when you say you move your library?

Just a thought...
If your library databases are on an external drive, have you tried a shift key start?
Hold down the shift key, start iTunes, keep holding the shift key until you are asked to choose a library, navigate to the iTunes folder on the external drive and choose iTunes Library.itl.

Sep 12, 2008 7:00 AM in response to Matt Fink

If I understand you correctly, iTunes will open normally if you force it to create an empty library by moving iTunes Library.itl

What do you do after that, do you add your files again to the new library, or do you put back the old itl file?

I am interested in if iTunes starts to crash after you add tracks to the new library, but not before. If so you might have a content related issue.

Sep 13, 2008 2:07 AM in response to Matt Fink

I am having the same problem!!! It all started after I loaded ITunes 8.0.

I have most of my music on my external HD. I know how to switch from the music on my powerbook's HD to the music on my external HD by holding down option key while opening ITunes. Since I added 8.0. I am able to open the ITunes folder on my powerbook, but when I try to open the folder on my external HD by using the option key and choosing the ITunes folder on this drive (which always worked in the past) I get this 130001 Error message.

Can anyone help me with this? There must be a glitch in the new software. HELP!!!!!!!!

Sep 13, 2008 4:31 AM in response to Matt Fink

Well, I was able to fix this, but I never figured out the root cause. To fix, I did the shift start as suggested using a library in my iTunes/Previous iTunes Libraries folder. The one I used was dated from the day I upgraded to iTunes 8. Not sure if it was a save from before or after the upgrade happened, or if that matters.

After the library loaded I re-imported the music from the last few days and everything works fine. Only thing lost in the process was my play count information from the last few days.

Sep 13, 2008 11:52 PM in response to Matt Fink

I have exactly the same problem.
Tried already everything, also opening an itunes library from the folder "previous libraries" , but still I got an unknown error 13001 back. When I use a blank itunes library nothing wrong. I reinstalled 7.7.1 and everything went perfect. I prefer itunes 8.0 because it seems that iphone firmware 2.1 needs itunes 8.0
Can anybody help me?

Sep 14, 2008 11:54 AM in response to GraCha

I analysed the problem but It cannot be a corrupt itunes library.
I have my itunes-library on a special partition and that seems to be the problem, since when I place that library in the ~/music folder on the same partition as the system and subsequently the itunes program then the library can be read. So it seems a problem in the itunes software in locating a library on an external drive or partition.
Has anyone figured out the cause or solution?

Oct 9, 2008 12:27 PM in response to Matt Fink

I had the same problem after updating my computers to iTunes 8, waited and hoped that the latest update 8.0.1 would solve the problem. It didn't, so I tried a few different things. I copied my iTunes library to another external HD and discovered that the library would open without the Unknown Error 13001 message. I reformatted the problem external HD to OS Extended (Journaled) then copied the iTunes library back to the drive. Still got the Unknown Error 13001 message.

What solved the problem was to rename my external HD. Originally it had the name: *17" PowerBook Backup* After renaming the drive PowerBook Backup I was able to open the iTunes library, so it's possibly a character in the drive name not being recognized by iTunes 8.

Feb 23, 2009 8:25 AM in response to Matt Fink

I added a 1Tb hard drive and partitioned it, labeling each partition as a letter drive ("A", "B", etc.) Then when I moved my iTunes library onto "E" in order to gain space - I started getting Unknown Error 13001. Spent half a day trying to resolve, including reinstalling iTunes. Got some advice to check "Discussion" - erased the quote marks on my partion labels, and 5 minutes later all was well and working correctly.

BTW I've seen some advice that states to hold the 'Shift' key when opening iTunes to direct it to the new library location. I believe the correct key is the 'Option' key - anyway it worked for me.

Unkown Error 13001 occurs when loading iTunes 8

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.