You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Ipod Touch crashes my pc when plugged in

everytime I plug my ipod touch in it crashes my laptop straight away it comes up in the bottom right saying windows has detected a still digital camera.

what can i do???

its a toshiba laptop running windows xp

please help

Windows XP

Posted on Oct 15, 2008 1:10 PM

16 replies

Oct 16, 2008 2:26 AM in response to James Staniford

sounds like it's a problem with the pc rather then the ipod
i would make sure by trying to connect the ipod to another computer

if you have set your pc to automatically launch a program which is corrupt if it detect an usb device which introduce itself as a camera
that could happen

if that is the case you can change it so it dont automatically do anything
or you can remove all pictures from the ipod in which case it should also
not show up as a camera

Oct 17, 2008 1:32 AM in response to James Staniford

I've got the same problem: windows XP crash when i plug my ipodtouch fw2.1 with itunes 8.
The problem began when i upgrade ipodtouch fw from 2.0 to 2.1. I've try everything, even Logitech desintall, old itunes version install, all apple recommendations... the itunes 801 came out, i believed this prob was fix but not !!
The problem is from the apple mobile device driver. If it is desinstall, i've no windows crash, but i can't see my ipod touch on itunes.
Ipod touch is completely functional on its own. Is there a way to officially register this awesome problem on Apple support?

Oct 17, 2008 1:36 AM in response to sonicy

as I said before I would try another computer
to verify that it's an issue with the os or settings
rather then a ipod touch thing

no usb device should ever be able to cause a computer to crash

so my money is on an os issue or it trying to auto launch a program
to handle cameras connected to it
this is something you can change using the windows program tweakui

Oct 17, 2008 9:58 AM in response to James Staniford

Hello James

It looks like I got the exact same problem as you ;-(

I used my new ipod touch model om my windows XP for several days, without problems. Later I was asked to uppgrade iTunes. I did and the problems started.
Everytime I connect my Ipod Touch my computer crashes just after identefying that a still camera is connected.

- My daughter also have the same Ipod Touch. It crashes the PC too.
- I have connected to another PC, and it worked fine...
- I uninstalled the Itunes on my pc, and connected the Ipod. It did not crash.
- I installed the Itunes 8.0.1.11 again, and connected the Ipod. It crashed.
- Uninstalled Itunes 8.0.1.11 and installed 7.0.2.16 (Had this one on my disk)But this time it did not discover my Ipod Touch?? Only my Ipod shuffle was discovered.
- So I am again going back to 8.0.1.11. And the same problem...???

My guess is that the new iTunes software are not good??
Do anyone know if there is a 8.0.0 software I could try?

Oct 26, 2008 2:06 PM in response to mdvoyles

Hi - I've experienced this for the first time today after a few months of happy synching.

What did I do today different? I downloaded an image from my flickr account and set it as wallpaper. This seemed to have set up some form of conflict between my laptop and the touch and it crashed time and time again.

Removed and deleted the image and what do you know its all working fine again.

So I'd say check what you've got on the touch but not your pc - anything you downloaded and if you can delete it off the touch and try again.

Oct 26, 2008 5:01 PM in response to James Staniford

To everyone experiencing this. Please check out the 2 articles below that speak about this. Hope they assist. Otherwise post back.

iTunes 8: If Windows Vista displays a blue screen error message when connecting iPhone or iPod

Symptoms
After installing iTunes 8 for Windows, some users may see a blue screen error message when connecting iPhone or iPod to a Windows Vista computer. In some cases, the computer may immediately restart when connecting iPhone or iPod to the computer.

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS2280

Updating the drivers on your Windows PC
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1768
What to do when Windows XP or Vista computer displays a blue screen error message when syncing the iPhone or iPod touch

Symptoms
An error message may appear on a blue screen when syncing a Microsoft Windows-compatible computer (XP or Vista) and an iPhone or iPod touch with saved photos (taken with the iPhone camera or saved from Safari or Mail). This issue can also occur due to a USB driver conflict with another device connected to the computer.

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS1502?viewlocale=en_US

Ipod Touch crashes my pc when plugged in

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.