Previous 1 2 3 4 Next 45 Replies Latest reply: Nov 24, 2008 12:27 PM by Antat Go to original post
  • azureblue Level 1 Level 1 (20 points)
    I believe the problem is with the BBC. A bug fix may have altered something that they were relying on, but now their platform/connection detection code is coming to the wrong conclusion.

    I had a dig into it, and found this code:

    case 'STATECONNECTIONTYPE':

    // hack for demi - in case demi variables mysteriously disappear as they are prone to do.
    if(data.response.DEMIERRORFAILOVER === 'true' && _failOverCount < 3) {
    _failOverCount++;
    return device.connectionType();
    }
    else if(data.response.DEMIERRORFAILOVER === 'true') {
    self.setState("STATE_MEDIAUNAVAILABLE");
    return;
    };

    if(data.response.ALLOWED_NETWORK === 'true' && data.response.IPIS_UKCOMBINED === 'yes') {
    _state = 'STATEIS_MEDIAAVAILABLE';
    _mediaAssetProfile = data.response[_serviceType.toUpperCase() + 'MEDIA_ASSETPROFILE'];
    self.setMediaAssetProfile(mediaAssetProfile);
    return mediaSelector.mtis(_versionPid, _mediaAssetProfile);
    }
    else if(data.response.ALLOWED_NETWORK === 'true') {
    _state = 'STATEOUTSIDEUK';
    self.setState(state);
    return;
    }
    else {
    _state = 'STATENONWIFI';
    self.setState(state);
    return;
    };

    It's the "_state = 'STATENONWIFI'" bit that later results in the message of disappointment.
    I didn't get any further with working out how/when ALLOWED_NETWORK gets set to false.
  • Roy Pembroke Level 1 Level 1 (5 points)
    Thanks for this Azureblue. I have posted a link to your comment on the BBC iPlayer forum in the hope that someone at the BBC will read the result of your investigation and do something about it.
  • lakeuk Level 1 Level 1 (5 points)
    I think I've got to the bottom of the problem and I think it's at the beebs end and should be easy for them to sort out.

    I've recreated the error in Firefox by spoofing the user agent details so iplayer thinks I'm using a ipod touch.

    User Agent for FW 2.1.1 works:-

    Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 211 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5F138 Safari/525.20

    User Agent for FW 2.2 gives the error everyone is getting:-

    Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_2 like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5G77a Safari/525.20

    Pictures available here:-
    http://tinyurl.com/5qwvxt

    Should be a simple case of the beeb adding the above details to the list of allowed devices that can use iplayer mobile, hopefully they'll do this quickly tomorrow when they come in (I'd be worried if they don't)
  • lenycato Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
    I have the same problem, tried the suggestion 'reset network' but it made no difference. Wrote to Apple & BBC
  • sullivt56 Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
    tried to retore to previous version of ipod software but must have done something very wrong.

    cant restore as says "software for this ipod is not currently available. Make sure you have the latest version of itunes and try again". Wont even turn on

    have the very latest version of itunes and tried a on another machine but same thing even though this was running previous version of itunes.

    Notebook running vista.

    ANyone think they may be able to help.....
  • lakeuk Level 1 Level 1 (5 points)
    Issue is being passed to the iPlayer dev team

    http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/mbiplayer/F7331805?thread=6089889
  • seeny Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
    i also have the same problem
  • Roy Pembroke Level 1 Level 1 (5 points)
    You get a similar message on a Mac but you are given the option to set up your iPod as if it were new on the computer. You have to choose that option; it will not allow you to continue using the original registration. It then starts off from square one but using the old software. You will loose your Safari favourites, email accounts etc but you can re-instate these manually as you would have done when you were first setting up your iPod.
  • Roy Pembroke Level 1 Level 1 (5 points)
    Thanks for your help. In the meantime I have restored 2.1 and, lo and behold, I have access to the iPlayer!
  • linky1967 Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
    Same problem with mine, really gutted. Have tried to restore, its says it has but still comes up with 2.2 and the problem!
  • matt-the-lemming Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
    it would have been nice if we'd been told this would happen... and i suppose its part of the safari "improvements" they added. if they know it's happened it might be easy to fix, so i just hope they check these help pages.
  • swervo Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
    Seems to be fixed now. Good response from the Beeb. Bless.
  • Nick Bristow Level 1 Level 1 (45 points)
    It does indeed seem to have been fixed by the BBC.
    Everything working fine now for me as well, so my thanks to them.
  • Nick Bristow Level 1 Level 1 (45 points)
    Does seem to have been an issue at the BBC end, which they have very speedily fixed once back in the office!
  • Anna Sandham Level 4 Level 4 (3,475 points)
    hooray for the Beeb!