Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mini DisplayPort to Dual-Link DVI Adapter creates jumpy mouse cursor

I just got the new Mini DisplayPort to Dual-Link DVI adapter. It works fine visually on my 30 inch Cinema HD display, but now my mouse cursor is jumpy. Every few seconds as I drag my mouse, the cursor jumps 5-10 inches, making it hard and frustrating to use.

I tried swapping out mice (external Microsoft USB mouse, both wired and wireless), downloading a new mouse driver, turning off airport, resetting parameter ram, and powering the cable via a USB port other than the computer, but the problem persists. I don't see this when the computer is plugged into a 24 inch monitor. So either it's the cable or the computer trying to drive 2560x1600.

MacBook Pro (Late 2008), Mac OS X (10.4.5)

Posted on Dec 18, 2008 1:28 PM

103 replies

Dec 21, 2008 9:30 PM in response to krypttic

Since I purchased two of these adapters, I decided to try the other one... Same Problem.

To think I waited patiently for over 2 months for THIS!

I've switched back to my original MBP. I will be calling Apple tomorrow to return everything (the 2.8 GHz MBP, both Dual Link adapters, and a printer). This is a ridiculous thing to deal with after spending over $3000.

Dec 22, 2008 11:42 AM in response to krypttic

Honestly, I caught the plug for this thread on Xlr8yourmac.com and was quite surprised to hear that the adapters had been hitting the streets... b/c they're unavailable anywhere online.

Where exactly did y'all purchase yours, a local Apple Store or online?

In any event, my take is they may have prematurely released them.

J.

Dec 22, 2008 1:11 PM in response to krypttic

I called Apple support to tell them all about this issue. I encourage all of you to do the same so they don't think it's an isolated incident--you'll probably get a faster fix this way.

1-800-275-2273 to talk to Apple. There is no choice for "Accessories Support" so you'll have to choose "MacBook Pro".

Be patient, because you'll have to explain to the rep what exactly this adapter is and humor them while you zap the PRAM, reset the SMC, etc.

After I hung up, I got my RMA numbers to return everything.

Dec 22, 2008 1:35 PM in response to krypttic

I still cannot understand why you would return everything... Ultimately you want this computer right? Once the bugs on the adapter are fixed are you gonna go back and re-buy it?

Seems like a lot of time spent out of spite and not for good reason. Me, this is the best Mac I've ever owned (and I've owned many. no, really.) and I'm happy to wait for this adapter w/ this machine in stead of going back to my other box.

I observed a similar client of mine w/ an iPhone... after the first week, he didn't like the keyboard and a few other things, so he took it back and went back to using his Blackberry -only to dump the Blackberry again for the iPhone, because he realized that the iPhone still did more things better than the Blackberry.

J.

Dec 22, 2008 3:28 PM in response to joetech

I'm not returning it out of spite. It doesn't work with my existing equipment. Why would I keep a computer that doesn't work with (2) 30" monitors? That's $3600 of useless equipment sitting on my desks.

When the new laptops were announced, I didn't order because the Dual Link adapters were not yet available. I waited until they were (over two months) and then I ordered. No sense having a $3000 machine that I can't use. Now that the adapters have arrived and they don't work, I have no reason for keeping the laptop. When/if they start working then yes, I'll re-buy. I'd rather hold onto my $3K than Apple until that happens. My warranty will start later, and they may have even introduced a revised model by then.

I've owned every single laptop since the Wallstreet G3, but I wouldn't consider owning one that I can't use. Until this adapter issue is worked out (you'd think the 2 months they already took would have been enough), I will continue to use last year's model.

Mini DisplayPort to Dual-Link DVI Adapter creates jumpy mouse cursor

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.