Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

aosnotifyd?

Hi, I'm just curious: What is the "aosnotifyd application"? When I start-up or re-start my computer, I am asked to give my "login" keychain passwords for various items. I know what most of these are for (iWeb, Mobile Me, Mail, etc.). But "aosnotifyd" is unfamiliar to me and I was wondering if anyone could explain what it is and why I have to "login" to it?

Thank you!

MacBookPro, Mac OS X (10.5.5), 2GHz Intel Core Duo

Posted on Apr 6, 2009 1:11 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 6, 2009 2:43 AM

The aosnotifyd process is your Mac syncing with the MobileMe servers (e.g. for 'push' email/calendars, etc.) - it's asking to use your keychain to access your MobileMe password stored in the keychain.
25 replies

Apr 6, 2009 4:37 AM in response to DStout

AOS = Apple Online Services. Notify is obvious, right? The 'd' on the end of a process name means Daemon (pronounced demon), and refers to a process designed to run in the background. Hopefully that clarifies somewhat. The kbase article linked below describes how to check your MobileMe connection using Terminal (which reports a connection to aosnotify.me.com).

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS1155

You should have the option to click 'Always Allow' for the keychain access prompt, and you won't be bothered by the request again. It's always good to check into that sort of request (which I presume was why you posted here!), but as the kbase article linked above shows, aosnotify is a 'normal' part of MobileMe access, so it's fine to grant permanent keychain access for it.

Jun 2, 2009 2:16 PM in response to neuroanatomist

Unfortunately, at least in my case, the alert box does not give you the option to "Always Allow".

!http://gallery.me.com/glennac/100016/aosnotifyd-keychain/web.jpg?ver=1243976775 0001!

So now what? Can a Keychain item be setup to always allow MobileMe to perform its' function without constantly asking for permission?

I should add that it only asks after waking the Mac from sleep. Once permission is granted it doesn't ask again until the Mac is slept and woken again. Also, MobileMe never asks for this permission when the Mac is rebooted, only when it is woken form sleep.

Finally, my MacBook, which is also syncing with this MobileMe account, NEVER asks for aosnotifyd permission. Only my MacBook Pro. So something is not right. Cheers!

Aug 9, 2009 4:00 PM in response to Glenn Carter

I have the same problem. There is no way to "Always allow" like the screenshot above and it doesn't only happen when it wakes from sleep. It happens every time it needs to access the MobileMe account. Also, other programs request access to the keychain in the same way all the time. Very frustrating! Happened after I purchased a new MacBook Air after having and MBP, and then set the MBA to sync all the information from my MobileMe account (including keychains).

How can I solve this?! Please!

Aug 19, 2009 12:18 AM in response to neuroanatomist

This reply might come a little late, but I just ran into this "problem" as well: everytime I login/logout (or wake from sleep), aosnotifyd asks for my keychain password. This happened for the first time just 20 minutes ago, while yesterday I changed my keychain password.

On another forum I found a suggestion that the user password & keychain password should be the same. Would never have guessed that, but since I changed my user password as well, I'm out of trouble -> problem solved.

So: make sure your user (account) password & keychain password match. Then you'll not get the prompt as mentioned above.

Kind regards, J.

Sep 20, 2009 9:53 AM in response to Jeroen Smit

For me the keychain and login passwords appeared to be the same, and this did not fix the problem. However, I did add "aosnotifyd" to the list of approved applications for the MobileMe keychain, and this seems to have fixed it.

To do this:
1) In Keychain access double click on the "MobileMe password" entry
2) Switch to the "access control panel" and click on the "+" to add an app.
3) Navigate to /usr/sbin (you may have to use the Finder's "Go To Folder" entry and drag this folder to the open window
4) Select "aosnotifyd"

So far this is working--I no longer get asked at login to enter the keychain password.

Oct 5, 2009 1:17 AM in response to ambarvalia

ambarvalia wrote:
I tried to follow James's direction in Keychain access, but could not find the folder usr/sbin, even using "Go To Finder."

That's the place on Mac OS X 10.6. On Mac OS X 10.5 the aosnotifyd is located in

/System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/AOSNotification.framework/Versions/A/Resources /

Again, the recommendation is to use "Go To Folder" or press Command ShiftG when inside the dialog to choose the application.

Oct 29, 2009 1:56 AM in response to DonLand

I have a program called Little Snitch, which allows me to set up rules such as "allow forever" or "deny forever". It monitors all outgoing requests and notifies me if it does not have a rule for it. It's a bit annoying at first, but once most rules are sorted, it adds a sense of security. I know there are not many mac malware traps out there, but I know that if I was unlucky enough to pick one up, I would be notified if it tried to send any information upstream.

aosnotifyd?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.