Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Dell 2130cn

I have a Dell 2130cn printer that does not have mac drivers.

I've done everything this thread tells me to do to get up and running and printing in color: http://discussions.apple.com/message.jspa?messageID=8492020

I can ONLY print in black and white.

My driver is: Generic PCL 6/PCL XL Printer Foomatic/pxlmono

No where do I have an option to change my print settings to color, only by resolution and quality.

Do I have the appropriate driver? Where can I change to default to color if my driver is correct.

Thanks!

Macbook Pro 17in 2.66 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo, Mac OS X (10.5.6), Unibody

Posted on May 2, 2009 9:07 AM

24 replies

May 2, 2009 4:34 PM in response to Charles Disantis

Charles Disantis wrote:
I can ONLY print in black and white.

My driver is: Generic PCL 6/PCL XL Printer Foomatic/pxlmono

Close. You want the "Generic PCL 6/PCL XL Printer Foomatic/pxlcolor (recommended)". Everything you need is at http://www.linuxfoundation.org/en/OpenPrinting/MacOSX/pxlmono. Single color pxl* PPD is at http://openprinting.org/ppd-o-matic.cgi?driver=pxlcolor&printer=Generic-PCL6_PCL_XLPrinter&show=1

Matt

Aug 24, 2009 9:46 PM in response to Charles Disantis

OK, I've tried following the directions in the links within this thread, but I have a different problem -- I still do not have the ability to "Add Printer".

My printer (a brand new Dell 2130cn color laser printer) prints a test page (from control panel) just fine. But nothing comes out when I try to send from computer.I am running a MacBookPro OS 10.5.8, with Parallels for MS XP. I have downloaded the driver for this printer from Dell and run it on the XP side. But a strange thing happens: it recognizes an HP Color LaserJet 8500 PS! Why? No idea. When I try to find the printer on Parallels, it shows nothing to be added.

I have downloaded and installed the current drivers for GhostScript, Footmatic, and hpijs, as well as Gutenprint, but no results. (Does it matter which order I installed them?) I'm new to Macs, so I would know where to look for which other drivers are loaded, which are missing, or how to remove any. After several hours of this, I feel pretty stupid right now. Any help would be appreciated.

Sean

Oct 1, 2009 8:58 AM in response to anthonymi

I am sooo excited! Using the links and info provided, I was able to get my Mac G5(OSX 10.2.8) to print in color to my Dell 2130cn. My Mac lives in a PC environment and prior to this, I had to create a PDF file and email it to my Dell computer, in order to print.

It is also printing Landscape documents. The only software I've tested it with is FreeHand MX, so I'm unsure if it will print successfully in other programs. My first test page I tried print from Safari, and it did not print. For the heck of it, I tried to print the FreeHand file I needed, and it prints beautifully.

I did one thing different. The instructions to add the printer in Print Center by clicking "Option + Add" and using "Advanced" in the menu did not work. I could not find my printer in the list as instructed, and the "Add" button was grayed out, so I could not add anything I tried.

What I did, was to click "Add" then used "IP Printing" in the menu. I entered the printer's IP Address (which you can find by printing off the Printer Settings from the printer itself), and under Printer Model, I selected Dell... then from the list that appeared, I selected the Print Driver which was downloaded using the links above "Dell 3100cn Foomatic/pxlcolor (recommended)"

It works great with FreeHand MX! I hope my other software will print also. Thank you for all the information!

Oct 1, 2009 9:09 AM in response to dljs

Also, for others who are technology-challenged like myself. It was unclear to me at first, but you have to install all three packages downloaded from the following link (for your OS) before you attempt to add the printer.

The three package names begin as follows... and they added the print driver for the Dell 3100cn (which appears to work for the Dell 2130cn)rather than the generic driver as described above (maybe the link changed??)

1) pxlmono
2) Foomatic-RIP
3) gplgs-

http://www.linuxfoundation.org/en/OpenPrinting/MacOSX/pxlmono

I also saved the text from the 2nd link provided above....but didn't know what to do with it. So it's sitting on my desktop. I don't believe it contributed to the successful printing.

Dell 2130cn

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.