Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple Music today announced the release of its 100 Best Albums of all time, a list crafted by Apple Music’s experts alongside industry professionals. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iTunes 8.2 & Windows 2003

Hey all,

I just wanted to provide the latest updated installer pack for those of you wanting or needing iTunes 8.2 on Windows Server 2003.

This update is especially useful for those of you with an iPhone and a desire to upgrade to the newly released 3.0 firmware as this firmware update requires iTunes 8.2.

Sorry its a bit behind the firmware update even though the iTunes update was released a few days ago now, life's been... busy.

While I know we all hate reading user agreements and the like, I ask that you read all information provided from the self extracting zip file's dialog so that you understand the changes made and what risks you may or may not be taking.

Anyway the installer can be found here:
http://rapidshare.com/files/245786545/iTunes8.2.0.23_W2K3Installer.exe

(No longer hosting it on my home server due to bandwidth & uptime issues and an expected surge of users in this release due to iPhone 3.0 requiring it.)

Please remember this file will work ONLY with windows 2003 server. For XP or Vista please download the installer directly from apple.

Thanks again,
L2Fins2R

Continuation of thread
Regarding iTunes 8.1 & Windows 2003.
New thread to reflect new numbering iTunes 8.2
http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?messageID=9649135#9649135

null

Intel Core 2 Quad 2.4 Ghz, 8Gb Ram, Other OS, W2K3 R2 Ent.

Posted on Jun 17, 2009 9:43 PM

33 replies

Jun 17, 2009 9:47 PM in response to L2Fins2R

For those of you curious about what/how I made this work...

I downloaded the itunes exe file from apple, extracted the MSI files from the exe using WinRAR and used orca to edit the AppleMobileDeviceSupport.msi file.

The setting I changed was in the LaunchCondition table. In that table there is a field that reads

(VersionNT=501 And ServicePackLevel>=2) Or VersionNT>=600

I simply edited that line to read

(VersionNT=502 And ServicePackLevel>=1)

saved the file and compressed the extracted folder structure into an SFX (Self-extracting) exe archive.

The program installed and seems to be running fine. I was also able to successfully sync my Iphone 3G with Itunes which was my biggest concern seeing as how I was editing the Mobile Devices file and not itunes itself. I also was able to successfully upgrade and continue to use my iphone with the latest 3.0 firmware without issue.

As a final note, Windows Home Server is built of the same Kernel and support files as W2K3 so this fix should Theoretically work for all Windows Home Server users as well although I dont have a WHS machine to test it on.

Jun 18, 2009 7:02 AM in response to L2Fins2R

I've tried to modify AppleMobileDeviceSupport.msi by myself, but on running it it gave me error 2229. The same with linked above msi.

My solution was to create transform to msi rather than modify it in place. Than run msiexec /i AppleMobileDeviceSupport.msi TRANSFORMS=<name of transform> befor installing iTunes. Than installation of iTunes will skip AppleMobileDeviceSupport and goes without errors.

All works fine with iPhone OS 3.0 including new modem functionality.

Jun 19, 2009 8:21 PM in response to Jagor

Jagor,

Im glad the transform method was able to work for you, however, it has been my experience that leaving off the Mobile Device package can lead to errors in communicating with at the very least the iPhone 3G.

Every release of iTunes, I first test without the Mobile Device package and every time I run the update of iTunes only, I get an error when I plug in my iphone along the lines of the version of Apple Mobile Device Support is wrong, and to uninstall AMDS and iTunes and reinstall them.

I guess each user and computer is different and thus can have a different experience. Editing the MSI just seems to be the simplest and most universal method for all involved

Jun 22, 2009 1:21 PM in response to Jagor

I am getting the same error 2229 on my windows 2003.

Seems that in order to update my iTouch to OS 3.0 I have to update iTunes to 8.2 but I can not!

The problem would be just with the AppleMobileDeviceSupport right? Any solutions? And please, dont tell me to switch OS or either format or delete things.

Thanks!!

Jun 22, 2009 1:35 PM in response to fed.

fed., Yes, the problem is caused by AppleMobileDeviceSupport. You can try my solution with transform. I don't have one right now, but I can upload it tomorrow.

L2Fins2R, First was full install of original iTunes 8.2. That did update all components like Bonjoure, Apple Update, iTunes, but not AppleMobileDeviceSupport, which wants XP. So I did uninstall iTunes and AppleMobileSupport and then install AMS using transform and then original iTunes. It seems to check version of components before runnning their installs so I don't have any error messages and all is working ok. I did not update my iPhone to 3.0 using this install, as I did it before using Mac. But sync, tethering is ok.

Jun 24, 2009 2:51 PM in response to Jagor

Anyone able to tell me what error msg 2229 reads?

I took a look through all the msi's in the package and none of them have an error 2229 listed.

Since I have not had this issue, if there is a description to the 2229 error available, it would help me figure out what is causing the issue and maybe provide guidance on a work around, otherwise I will try to have to replicate the issue.

Jun 25, 2009 8:58 AM in response to seabert

I did it!

first uninstall all the apple msi from your server -itunes, bounjour, applemovildevice, etc-,
then run the command msiexec /i AppleMobileDeviceSupport.msi TRANSFORMS=w2k3.mst (Note: the transform must be in the same folder with the oficial AppleMobileDevice.msi from the itunes page)
It Will install only the Apple Mobil Device,
Finally install the itunes from de self-extracting zip.

Now my ipod works with the firmware 3.0 and itunes 8.2

Jun 29, 2009 6:14 AM in response to seabert

I can´t install iTunes.

First I uninstall all.
I download the latest itunes package from the apple webpage and unpack it.
Than I run the command msiexec /i AppleMobileDeviceSupport.msi TRANSFORMS=w2k3.mst and install Apple Mobile Device.

Now I try to install the itunes.msi and it fails with the SP2 error. Now the installer said that the MobileMe Control Panel need XP SP2.

I try to use the transform command for the mobileme.msi but it fails.

Any ideas?

regards
Andreas

Message was edited by: conVens

iTunes 8.2 & Windows 2003

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.