Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Slow iPhone 3G after 3.0 OS update

Has anyone else had their iPhone 3G slow down after updating the software on it? For me, it's not super slow, it's just a delay of about .5 to 1 second, but when I notcie it, it is exremeley annoying. And when I try to turn the keyboard to the side to text on it, it's also kinda slow. And if anyone knows how to fix this, please tell me. I have already deleted all of the apps that I don't use and it made it a little bit faster. Or could you just tell me if this is normal. Thank you for taking time to read this.

Dell, iPhone OS 3.0

Posted on Jun 24, 2009 9:06 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 24, 2009 9:16 PM

Same here , bud... 3.0 is fun and useful, but quite annoying on the reliability side.
77 replies

Jun 25, 2009 6:40 AM in response to annoyed_9

Well the 3G does have a slower processor and the OS is asked to do a lot more, so slowdowns are a slight necessary evil. 3.0 introduces many new features, and it is only logical that the bigger something gets, the more it can slowdown. I am sure they will continue to optimize and speed it up, but I also doubt it will be as fast as it was two years ago.

Jun 25, 2009 8:20 AM in response to sapphir8

Not OK when using a real-time application or game! Try using it for music -- what a bummer!

Is there anyway to turn off background notifications or something to stop these stalls? Like go into airplane mode or disable push or anything? This seems like a critical problem! Do people see this on the 3Gs? I won't upgrade if so.

Jun 25, 2009 3:59 PM in response to tigerfang116

I installed the OS 3.0 on my iPhone 3G (not the 3GS). Ugh, it has been so laggy!!! I couldn't care less about the new features and apps because I only use it as a phone, web browser, and email app (I don't play games on it). I wanted a performance improvement, having heard that Safari was improved. Boy, I got the exact opposite of performance improvement. There is a lag in everything, especially the screen rotation that gets stuck in the unwanted position all of the time. I hate this! Can I downgrade back to the old version? SO NOT WORTH IT!!!

This review site expands on these frustrations: http://gadgetsteria.com/2009/06/23/iphone-os-3-0-on-non-3gs-devices-slow-stutter y-and-just-plain-terrible/

Message was edited by: calgirl2

Jun 25, 2009 11:22 PM in response to tigerfang116

Just to weigh in, mine's slow too, in all the ways mentioned above. And, I find no new compelling features that make 3.0 worth the slow down. All the cool stuff is on the new phones. Mine is 6 months old, and I'm a bit miffed that the latest OS makes it dog slow. The typical OS upgrade makes things better, not worse!

Care to guess when 3.1 will be out?

Jun 26, 2009 1:42 AM in response to tigerfang116

Well, I just tried a full restore of my iPhone to try and get it back to the orginial OS on the phone (risky, I know), and the results are...it didn't work. You are still stuck with laggy, slow, and not to amazing OS 3.0. The new "additions" aren't worth it, except for maybe the MMS messaging later in the summer, but I don't know if that is even worth it.

Slow iPhone 3G after 3.0 OS update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.