Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Canon 8400F scanner not recognized by 10.5.7 on G5 Powermac

I've tried using Canon's driver uninstaller and re-installed the latest driver several times. However, when I try to import into Photoshop Elements 6, the latest version of Gimp, or the latest version of Canoscan toolbox, I get the following message:

The necessary file could be missing or damaged, or some settings are incorrect.
Reinstall the scanner driver.
Scanner driver will be closed.

After I click the 'ok' button, I get:

Could not complete the import command because there is no scanner installed.

Thanks for your help.

Posted on Jun 29, 2009 7:46 AM

17 replies

Jun 29, 2009 6:32 PM in response to Stuart Malone

Hello Stuart.

Could you check that the 8400F data source file is installed. Open Finder and navigate to Mac HD > Library > Image Capture > TWAIN Data Sources. Here you should see the file 'CanoScan 8400F.ds' or something similarly named. If this file is not present, you need to run the scanner driver installer again, which is separate to the CanonScan Toolbox application. You can get the driver via this link;

http://support-au.canon.com.au/contents/AU/EN/0900334701.html

PaHu

Jul 4, 2009 7:24 AM in response to Stuart Malone

I have a similar problem with a CanoScan5000F. I've spent days at it, and I've looked up nearly every forum on the net. I am very new to Mac (ex Windows) and I am only getting familiar with the system. When I follow the directions of the previous reply I do not find ScanGear in the twain folder. I dragged it into the folder just to see what would happen, and the sub folder is black in colour with the letters exec, which is like a windows.exe file. The scanner will work under Toolbox, but my Mac will not recognise ScanGear. I've downloaded the latest drivers, but my system asks where to install, and I do not know, except that I don't think the App folder is the correct place. ScanGear will not self install but maybe it needs another programme to open, so I installed PhotoStudio but I cannot establish a link. After spending so much time looking on forums, I am somewhat surprised to see so many Mac users who have problems with Canon equipment. I think they are very much lacking in support for older equipment, unlike HP who supplied all the necessary info to install my old printer, and it all worked perfectly first time. I read on one forum that ScanGear will not work with OSX. As I said I'm new to this system, so I hope somebody can assist me. Thanks in advance.

Jul 4, 2009 7:10 PM in response to cloonadra

cloonadra wrote:
...When I follow the directions of the previous reply I do not find ScanGear in the twain folder.

The TWAIN Data Sources folder should contain your CanoScan 5000F.ds file, not ScanGear. The ds file will be automatically installed into this location by the driver installer.

I dragged it into the folder just to see what would happen, and the sub folder is black in colour with the letters exec, which is like a windows.exe file.

This is not the correct procedure so it is not surprising that it didn't work correctly.

ScanGear will not self install but maybe it needs another programme to open,

Yes. ScanGear is the preview window that you see after you select to scan using the Canon scanner. So you do need some other scanning application to initiate the image capture.

After spending so much time looking on forums, I am somewhat surprised to see so many Mac users who have problems with Canon equipment. I think they are very much lacking in support for older equipment, unlike HP who supplied all the necessary info to install my old printer, and it all worked perfectly first time.

Having used Canon for a number of years, I would argue this point. A lot of the time the problem is caused the person using the Mac, not the device. Also, there are plenty of people in this forum with HP equipment that are having problems, so I think you will find that none of the vendors do it perfectly, including Apple, otherwise we wouldn't have these forums...

I read on one forum that ScanGear will not work with OSX.

I can assure you it works. My previous CS3200F worked fine for years until I dropped it and now my 5600F is working nicely with Leopard.

PaHu

Jul 4, 2009 10:02 PM in response to PAHU

+1

ScanGear works on my computer, no problems. Not at the moment, but then the scanner is disconnected 😉.

There are two pieces of software you should install: 1) the driver, 2) CanoScan toolbox.

The toolbox lets you access all the printer utilities, but is not actually necessary to use the scanner, just easier.

Be patient, grab the instruction booklet, and try again.

Jul 6, 2009 3:48 AM in response to PJB

Thank you guys for your prompt reply. I think my problem is that I do not have an application which will run ScanGear. Photo Studio came on the installation CD but it can't find the Twain Lib on my system when scanner button (in the Toolbar) is pressed, I guess something wrong there. I do not have any other application to try. Ulead was the photo editing I used on Windows, unfortunately I have no Mac version of this on the CD. My Toolbox works fine, although when I installed Scangear the plugin went into Toolbox, I just wonder is this correct. Finally there is nothing in Twain Data Sources folder after install.
Thank to both of you for your assistance.

Jul 9, 2009 4:48 PM in response to PAHU

PaHu,

Thank you! Yes, the file is there, but I went ahead and tried the driver you linked to. Unfortunately, after installing it, I still have the same symptoms.

I just looked again at Canon USA, and still no update to the driver. Does anyone have a workaround? I hate to replace what was an expensive scanner (to me) that's only a few years old.

Jul 9, 2009 6:52 PM in response to cloonadra

The Preview application that is included with OS X can be used for scanning. But first you need to configure the scanner driver via Image Capture. So, if there is no 8400F.ds file located in the TWAIN data source folder, then you will not be able to get the scanner working.

I downloaded the scanner driver '8400fosx10240en.dmg' from the Canon Europe web site and had a look at the package contents. The 'BundleVersions.plist' within the package shows that the 'CanoScan 8400F.ds' package does get copied to ./Library/Image Capture/TWAIN Data Sources (the leading dot stands for your hard drive root). So I recommend you get this driver and run its installer again.

Pahu

Jul 10, 2009 3:28 AM in response to PAHU

Re my CanoScan 5000f which I had problems with, I looked in my Photo Studio files and found an empty Plug-in folder. I installed the plug-in in this and now PhotoStudio connects to scanner when I press the scanner icon on the programmes toolbar, so everything is working again. This is just to let anyone know that the problem has been solved. Thanks to the people who helped.

Jul 14, 2009 6:06 AM in response to Stuart Malone

I sent an email to Canon USA. Here's their response, IT WORKED!!!!!!!

For troubleshooting purposes, please perform the following steps to
specify the display profile:

1. Select Displays in System Preferences.

2. Open the Color tab, and then select the display profile. When the
display profile is not displayed, deselect Show profiles for this
display only.

3. Select one of the display profiles normally attached to the OS,
''Adobe RGB (1998)", ''Generic RGB Profile',' or ''sRGB IEC61966-2.1.''

4. Close System Preferences.

You should now be able to scan normally.

5. Attempt scanning to confirm that ScanGear functions properly.

If using a display profile that is exclusively for your monitor, just
obtain the profile again, then install it in the designated folder.

We hope this information is helpful to you. Please let us know if we
can be of any further assistance with your CanoScan 8400F.

Aug 11, 2009 9:06 PM in response to Stuart Malone

I'm having the same problem with a CanoScan N67OU. I've uninstalled and reinstalled the driver and have downloaded the new Toolbox 4.1. Under Plug-ins, I see the ScanGear CS 7.0X (Sept. 17, 2003) file, but there is no .ds folder in Library > Image Capture > TWAIN Data Sources.

I've tried Canon's System Preferences suggestion, but that doesn't seem to help, either.

Any thought?

Thanks,

Don

Aug 12, 2009 8:04 AM in response to Stuart Malone

After thinking about it, it seems obvious that the install function isn't actuating properly. When I click the icon, it completes the install process almost instantaneously, then tells me the install is complete and asks whether I want to continue or quit. When I select continue, it returns me to the same dialogue box. So I quit and restart. When I check Library > Image Capture > Twain, the .ds file has not installed. Do I have any other recourse before contacting Canon?

Aug 17, 2009 1:44 PM in response to Stuart Malone

There is a driver update available at Canon. The difficulty is finding it, Better to call Canon and let the tech support staff walk you to it.

There also is an update to the CanoScan Toolbox to version 4.9.

Canon allegedly is ain the process of addressing their site navigation issues.

Hope this helps.

BTW why not update your System software to 10.5.8

Sep 3, 2009 7:28 AM in response to PAHU

I've had a Canoscan LIDE for about 2 years now, and it has NEVER worked with ease. It's condescending and ridiculous to imply that a piece of software that needs you to install it 2-5 times, and hit "cancel" instead of "ok" is the fault of the mac user. Canon's scanner support (for the LIDE line anyway) is terrible. Some of their scanners work, and a lot don't. It's not helpful to reply to a problem by saying that you're not having the problem.

I've now upgraded to snow leopard and it's busted AGAIN.

I'll be buying a new scanner, and staying away from Canon like it's got swine flu. I stopped using a PC cause it working MOST of the time.

Canon 8400F scanner not recognized by 10.5.7 on G5 Powermac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.