Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

itunes randomly pauses!!!!!!!!

Every time i open itunes to listen to a song, the song will randomly pause. sometimes it pauses 5 or 6 times in about 10 seconds. it's very annoying and i will be very grateful if anyone could tell me why this happens and what to do about it!

20" imac Intel Core Duo, Mac OS X (10.5.7)

Posted on Jul 2, 2009 9:27 PM

31 replies

Feb 2, 2017 9:44 AM in response to macmonkey10

I am having the same issue as well, but it's not only the music that's the issue. It's Siri she started randomly turning on and asking me what I needed help with. So eventually I got tired of that and went and turned her off, but that still didn't work, when I turned her off the 'voice control' started randomly turning on. It's been happening ever 30 seconds to a minute both music and voice control. The music seems to be more frequent though.

Oct 12, 2009 3:54 PM in response to macmonkey10

Do you have a large music library? I have more than 60K songs, 1200 movies and 2500 audiobooks. Even if I select a song, iTunes pauses for several seconds and I can hear disk activity.

It got so bad I created a new library just for listening to audiobooks and watching vids. That smaller library never pauses.

I think the problem is that the iTunes database wasn't designed for large libraries, every time you do anything, it has to write the changes to the database file, and if there are lots of entries, the file can hit 250MB in size and more. That takes time to update.

Nov 23, 2009 9:27 AM in response to macmonkey10

I also have this problem...iTunes will randomly pause or play when I move my MacBook from my lap to a table or back again and sometimes just randomly...iTunes will also start up on it's own and start playing a random song or podcast. This problem is well documented and is affecting a large number of us and Apple is doing nothing...I haven't read one solution online and the Genius Bar was at a loss...Please Apple help with this annoying problem!

Dec 21, 2009 8:31 AM in response to SRI5

I just started to experience this same issue. When I play music through iTunes on my iPhone, songs will frequently pause or randomly fast forward through a song. During my 15 minute commute in the morning, I'll have to restart a song 10 times, VERY annoying. I took my phone to apple and they replaced it, they didn't have a fix. I loaded up the new iPhone with my back-up iPhone files and started having the same issue, so it's definitely a software issue. I then tried restoring my iPhone, which I didn't want to do, and I'm still having the problem. I have a new iMac with iTunes and luckily I'm not experiencing the issue listening to my music at home. Does anyone have a fix? I'm about ready to get an Android, I can't deal with this bug.

Dec 23, 2009 1:51 PM in response to SRI5

I have the same problem when I'm trying to play iTunes music on the living room sound system using Airport Extreme. Never had a problem until a couple months ago. Bought an AV cable so I can play music on sound system through tv using ipod, but now I can't multi task watching sports while I listen to music and read. Still no fix?

Jan 11, 2010 1:47 PM in response to Chris Todd

I am having the same problem and I think I know the answer, at least for myself. I have all my music on a separate HD connected via firewire. This works to keep my large 35 GB library off my already busting Macbook HD, but is a pain should I need the music files when I am on the road on the mainland and my separate HD is at home on the island. The few songs I have that are actually stored on my Macbook have no pausing problems, but once I open iTunes with the HD attached, those songs are moved to the HD and the same songs will always pause after that, usually every 10 seconds or less. I think it is the problem created with the conversation between my laptop and my external hard drive and there isn't enough ooomph to keep the file flowing. Makes me wish I had a different way to store all 7729 songs and foley clips.

Jan 13, 2010 8:00 AM in response to macmonkey10

Hello All!

I just got off the phone with Apple Care and have found at least one solution to this problem: The iTunes preferences files specific to the User have been "messed up." Here is a step-by-step on how to diagnose and fix:

1. To confirm this is this issue, create a new user, log out of the troubled User's account and back in as the new user. This should give you an empty iTunes Library. Launch iTunes and import a couple of songs (from CD or Store) and play them. If they play through without pausing then this is in fact the problem.

2. Now log back in as the User who is have the trouble. Click on the User in right column of the finder. (It has the house icon.) Go into Library / Preferences. Scroll down until you see all of the fields that start with "com."

3. Locate all of the files that contain "com.apple.itunes..." and drag them to the desktop. Restart.

4. This will create new Preferences files in your profile but will not effect the contents of your library or playlists. It will however clear custom equalizer settings. No big deal.

Launch iTunes and play...

That should fix it! You can then move the old preferences files now on your desktop to the trash! Happy listening!

Jan 13, 2010 2:21 PM in response to aesthetica

Thanks for the advice, but this does not work if the majority of your music and sound files are located on a separate hard drive. I did as you suggested and now things are really screwed up as iTunes can not find where the majority of my library of 7500 plus files are located (since everything apparently reset itself). I tried re-directing iTunes to where the main folder is on my external hard drive but it will not play what is stored on my Macbook then. I must have something wrong somewhere, but at least before I had access to both storage places... it just kept cutting out the music played from the external HD. I am sure it is the problem with the external HD that can't keep up with the Macbook? Is that possible? I sure hope I can eventually combine both groups again as before.

itunes randomly pauses!!!!!!!!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.