📢 Newsroom Update

The iPhone 16 and iPhone 16 Pro lineups, Apple Watch Series 10, the new black titanium Apple Watch Ultra 2, AirPods 4, and new colors for AirPods Max are now available! Learn more >

You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple ID, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

iOS 18 is now available

Customize your iPhone in more ways than ever, stay connected with friends and family, and relive your favorite moments. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Does iPhone 3G have the features of the iPod Touch?

Hi there, I am planning to get either an iphone 3g or an ipod touch. I am unsure of which one to get. I love the features of the new ipod touch, and does the iPhone 3G have all of the features of the new ipod touch? Where can I find this info? I know 3Gs is the newer one but I can get an iPhone 3G for free if I sign up for a phone company in my area. I don't care about text messaging or that stuff. A phone that I can use to call and receive calls will do. I do however love the features.

Now, I want to know if the iphone 3G has the features the the new ipod touch (2nd gen) has.

Windows Vista

Posted on Jul 4, 2009 7:57 PM

9 replies

Jul 4, 2009 9:42 PM in response to tml81

I have both, so let me try.

Better is not a word I would use. They are both good in their own way, but the iPhone has more functions (phone and SMS obviously) including GPS for location services, and GPRS/EDGE for connectivity when not near wifi as well as camera.

The iPod touch is thinner and lighter; and I also think it is better on battery life, but that may be in part because several of the apps unavailable to the touch are somewhat processor or graphics intensive: I have to charge the iPhone usually once a day, while I may get a couple of days out of the iPod touch.

Depending on where you are (and I note you show you are in Canada - Rogers) the cost of the iPhone may be higher with service charges, while this can be offset as these are monthly: you have to buy the touch outright.

If you want the device for music and videos, plus synchronisation of contacts and calendars along with a few games, the touch might suffice. However, it is not a stripped down iPhone and the iPhone is not a beefed up iPod touch. They do have separate identities and uses.

Jul 5, 2009 7:40 AM in response to tml81

Thanks, does the iphone 3G have the accelerometer too like the ipod touch 2nd gen? Reason I am still interested in the iphone still is because one I am getting it free and second, I am getting a really good deal with the service charges as per my needs. Like I said, if the iphone can do what the ipod touch can then I really don't need to spend $300 on the ipod touch. I don't care about SMS or anything, just some of the features and call/receive calls will do for me.

I was reading a review between the iphone 3G and the iphone 3Gs -

http://www.engadget.com/2009/06/08/iphone-3g-vs-iphone-3g-s-the-tale-of-the-tape /

In the wireless connectivity part, it says the iPhone 3G has 3.6mbs HSDPA - does this mean that I can use the wifi at only that rate? Since I have a 16mbps internet connection, but I can only surf at 3.6mbps?

Jul 5, 2009 8:14 AM in response to tml81

The iPod touch does have the accelerometers like the iPhone. If you are getting the iPhone under such favourable terms, you would almost certainly do as well to go that route rather than take the touch (I had a touch for about a year then was lent the iPhone).

As for speeds, yes the iPhone (and touch) are limited, but you are not going to be using them at home only. EDGE and GPRS and 3G are not as fast as wifi, but the device is limited: it works fairly well keeping me up to date with email and other data.

As for SMS, I hear that N. America doe snot use this as much: really useful and quick (and cheap) way to keep in touch.

Jul 5, 2009 10:37 AM in response to tml81

it says the iPhone 3G has 3.6mbs HSDPA - does this mean that I can use the wifi at only that rate? Since I have a 16mbps internet connection, but I can only surf at 3.6mbps?

That's not what it means. 3.6mbs HSDPA refers to the speed of the cellular data network--it has a radio that will handle that speed network. This doesn't have anything to do with the speed you will get over wi-fi, which operates totally separately from the cellular data network.

Jul 5, 2009 11:29 AM in response to tml81

To explain it better, both the second generation iPod Touch and "iPhone 3GS" are the same as far as everything including Nike+ except the phone parts.

Both do music
Both do offline games (3G/3GS are needed for online games unless you have a paid hotspot account)
Both have Nike+ (second gen touch and 3GS if I recall the talks)

However, 3G/3GS have the GPS, phone, abilities to play online games anywhere, camera, video recorder, etc. and the iPod Touch avoids all that. Oh and the 3D Graphics Accelerators.

Does iPhone 3G have the features of the iPod Touch?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.