Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't Repair Permissions

When I attempt to repair permissions, I get this message: First Aid failed....Disk Utility stopped repairing permissions on "Macintosh HD"because the following error was encountered: The underlying task reported failure on exit.
When attempting permissions repair using "Macaroni" I get this error message.
"Error detected while verifying/repairing permissions on disk0s2 Macintosh HD: The underlying task reported failure on exit (-9972)
Started verify/repair permissions on disk disk0s2 Macintosh HD
Error -9972: The underlying task reported failure on exit"
I used my Installation Disk to do a disk repair but it reported that
"the disk appears to be O.K"
I ran DiskWarrior but still can't repair permissions. Same error message.
What's up with all this?

MacBook pro Penryn 17" 2.5 GHz, Mac OS X (10.5.7)

Posted on Jul 25, 2009 11:41 AM

19 replies

Jul 25, 2009 12:48 PM in response to AnonyMouse

The most frequent cause of the "underlying task reported failure on exit" messages that I have seen on this site is due to a design flaw in the Leopard version of "repair permissions" that causes it to fail when it is unable to read the permissions database, something that can come as a result of you guessed it -- incorrect permissions.

Make sure that the user "installer" (' uid=96') has "read" access over the path to "/Library/Receipts/db/a.receiptdb", manually correcting them if necessary, then try running "verify" or "repair" permissions again.

Jul 25, 2009 1:08 PM in response to AnonyMouse

HI,

This stuff can get confusing!

First, you are using 3 different utilities where you only need one. Keep it simple.

To repair disk permissions do this.

Quit any open applications/programs. Launch Disk Utility. (Applications/Utilities) Select MacintoshHD in the panel on the left, select the FirstAid tab. Click: Repair Disk Permissions. When it's finished from the Menu Bar, Quit Disk Utility and restart your Mac. *If you see a long list of "messages" in the permissions window, it's ok. That can be ignored. As long as you see, "Permissions Repair Complete" when it's finished... you're done.* Quit Disk Utility and restart your Mac.

To repair errors on the startup disk do this.

Insert Installer disk and Restart, holding down the "C" key until grey Apple appears.
Go to Installer menu (Panther and earlier) or Utilities menu (Tiger and later) and launch Disk Utility.
Select your HDD (manufacturer ID) in the left panel.
Select First Aid in the Main panel.
(Check S.M.A.R.T Status of HDD at the bottom of right panel. It should say: Verified)
Click Repair Disk on the bottom right.
If DU reports disk does not need repairs quit DU and restart.
If DU reports errors Repair again and again until DU reports disk is repaired.
When you are finished with DU, from the Menu Bar, select Utilities/Startup Manager.
Select your start up disk and click Restart

While you have the Disk Utility window open, look at the bottom of the window where you see Capacity and Available. Make sure there is always 10% free disk space. Not enough disk space can cause directory corruption.

"*I used my Installation Disk to do a disk repair but it reported that*
*"the disk appears to be O.K"*

*That is exactly what you want to see.*

Run Disk Utility to repair permissions. Run Disk Utility to repair the hard disk from your install disk when needed.

DiskWarrior is only needed if Disk Utility cannot repair errors on the startup disk itself.

Macaroni is a great disk utility but it wasn't written by Apple. You can use it to delete cache files once a month.

Carolyn 🙂

Jul 25, 2009 1:33 PM in response to biovizier

biovizier wrote:
The most frequent cause of the "underlying task reported failure on exit" messages that I have seen on this site is due to a design flaw in the Leopard version of "repair permissions" that causes it to fail when it is unable to read the permissions database, something that can come as a result of you guessed it -- incorrect permissions.
manually correcting them if necessary, then try running "verify" or "repair" permissions again.

Quite frankly, "Make sure that the user "installer" (' uid=96') has "read" access over the path to "/Library/Receipts/db/a.receiptdb", is way above my head. I don't understand.
Where do I find user "installer" (uid=96)?

Jul 25, 2009 1:41 PM in response to AnonyMouse

Sorry, I forgot that the crippled version of "Get Info" in Leopard doesn't provide access to system users, unlike in earlier OS X versions.

Try launching "/Applications" > "Utilities" > "Terminal.app" and enter the command below (it might be best to cut and paste):<pre>
ls -ld /{,Library{,/Receipts{,/db{,a.receiptdb}}}}</pre>

The results should provide an indication of whether incorrect permissions are responsible for the error, and if so, what files or folders are affected, and how to follow up to address the issue...

Jul 25, 2009 1:56 PM in response to Carolyn Samit

Carolyn Samit wrote:
HI,
This stuff can get confusing!

Confusing? Yeah, in spades.

Keep it simple.
I wish I could!
To repair disk permissions do this.

I DO know how to repair permissions. As I explained in my initial post, I am unable to do so because of the error message "The underlying task reported failure on exit".
Verifying/repairing disk reports that "the disk Macintosh HD appears to be ok."

Jul 25, 2009 2:07 PM in response to AnonyMouse

Ok...

When you run Disk Utility and repair disk permissions, the results are probably a long list of what are referred to as, "messages". They are a result of recent software updates and can be ignored.

You might see something like this. http://support.apple.com/kb/TS1448

*"Verifying/repairing disk reports that "the disk Macintosh HD appears to be ok."*

This is telling you that Disk Utility repaired the "underlying task reported....." as long as you see;
MacintoshHD appears to be ok, that means it was repaired.

Are you experiencing any problems like apps quitting expectedly or freezing?

Message was edited by: Carolyn Samit

Jul 25, 2009 2:08 PM in response to biovizier

biovizier wrote:

Try launching "/Applications" > "Utilities" > "Terminal.app" and enter the command below (it might be best to cut and paste):<pre>
ls -ld /{,Library{,/Receipts{,/db{,a.receiptdb}}}}</pre>

The results should provide an indication of whether incorrect permissions are responsible for the error, and if so, what files or folders are affected, and how to follow up to address the issue...

Ok, here's what I got after entering {,Library{,/Receipts{,/db{,a.receiptdb}}}} in terminal:

~ user$ ls -ld /{,Library{,/Receipts{,/db{,a.receiptdb}}}}
ls: /Library/Receipts/db: No such file or directory
ls: /Library/Receipts/dba.receiptdb: No such file or directory
drwxrwxr-t@ 63 root admin 2210 Jul 24 06:44 /
drwxrwxr-t+ 60 root admin 2040 Jul 24 06:44 /Library
drwxrwxr-x 2 root admin 68 Jul 25 10:41 /Library/Receipts
Macintosh:~ user$

I'm afraid that it's all "Greek" to me.

Jul 25, 2009 2:30 PM in response to AnonyMouse

I sincerely apologize - after suggesting to cut and paste to avoid typos, I had included a typo in the command. The command should have been:<pre>
ls -ld /{,Library{,/Receipts{,/db{,/a.receiptdb}}}}</pre>

Nevertheless:
..." ls: /Library/Receipts/db: No such file or directory"...

This shows that your problem appears to be that you do not have a permissions database, i.e. the whole "/Library/Receipts/db" folder, which contains the "a.receiptdb" permissions database file is missing.

Currently, I am not aware of a method to generate a new permissions database when the original is absent (unless you happen to have another machine configured identically). It is likely that if you recreate the "db" folder, then as you install new software, a new database will be created, but it will only address files installed by that update and not the rest of the system previously installed.

Perhaps try checking your backups to see if you can find a copy of the "db" folder -- if it is recent enough and nothing major has been installed since it was deleted, it should be possible for "repair permissions" to use that. However, if other updates have been installed, the database will be out of date for those items and it might be necessary to reinstall those updates.

If a backup is not available, I think the best solution at this stage -- if you consider the ability to run "repair permissions" to be important enough (and you may not consider it important) -- would be to back up your data (just in case) and perform an "archive and install". The least disruptive option, (i.e. the one thath preserves user and network settings) should be fine.

Jul 25, 2009 3:07 PM in response to biovizier

biovizier wrote:

..." ls: /Library/Receipts/db: No such file or directory"...

This shows that your problem appears to be that you do not have a permissions database, i.e. the whole "/Library/Receipts/db" folder, which contains the "a.receiptdb" permissions database file is missing.

What mystifies me is what would cause the permissions database to disappear?
I've run permissions repair countless times over the past several months without issue. It's only today that I've experienced the problem at hand. It's never occurred before in all the years that I've owned Macs?
Anyway, I'll do an archive and install.

Jul 25, 2009 4:59 PM in response to AnonyMouse

..." what would cause the permissions database to disappear?"...

I don't know. But removal of that folder would normally require authentication so if you can recall anything you authenticated for recently, perhaps an Apple installation gone wrong, or else a bad third-party installer, or something else you provided a password for is responsible...

Can't Repair Permissions

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.