Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone won't restore, this ALWAYS happens after an update!

Everytime there's a new software update available this happens, grrrrrr! Usually after 2 hours of trying my iPhone finally decides to start working again. But not this time, I've been trying to restore my iPhone for over 5 hours now and nothing seems to be working! And when I try to restore my iPhone the screen goes black and after 5 minutes of trying to "prepare the iPhone to restore" it tells me there was an unknown error. W-T-F, Apple? Why does this ALWAYS happen? Why is it that everytime there's a friggin' software update available it crashes my iPhone? There has to be a way around this, right? Can someone please tell me W-T-F I need to do? I've already rebooted the iPhone several times and restarted my PC, what else can I possibly do?

Windows XP Pro

Posted on Aug 3, 2009 2:27 PM

15 replies

Aug 3, 2009 3:14 PM in response to SoCalSkippy

SoCalSkippy wrote:
Thanks for the help, but nothing that page contained helped me one bit.

I wonder if I should just delete iTunes and re-install it?

What is the exact message you see in iTunes when trying to restore the iPhone?

Do you see the same issue when trying to restore or update the iPhone in another account? The article 4n6doc linked will walk you through creating another user account.

-Jason

Aug 3, 2009 3:22 PM in response to Jason L

If this happens every time, then don't do an update and restore at home. Make a Genius Bar appointment and do it there with them.

Things that can lead to problems:
- Using an iPhone with both a Mac and a PC and then updating on the one that is not primary
- Jailbroken iPhones
- iPhones that have unsupported 3rd party software on them like RIngtoneMaker or MissingSync for iPHone
- User accounts that are not correct on iTunes, either there are too many of them, or it is not set to the right user for the iPhone
-iTunes that is not updated to the current newest version
-iPhones that are too full memory wise -- you need to have a couple GB free no matter what size memory your iPhone has...(take off the movies and some albums before updating, then put them back when done if you disc is too full)
- iPhones that have too many apps on them, especially if you have not done a full backup first and you have downloaded apps ON your iPhone rather than through iTunes on your computer then synced them over

I'm not saying that ANY of these applies to the Original Poster -- just that they are common reasons for update problems.

I would do it at the Apple Store with the Genius. If they see the problem, let THEM troubleshoot.

Aug 3, 2009 3:54 PM in response to RonAnnArbor

And just to clarify, here's exactly what's happening to me:

* I get the screen with the picture of the iTunes logo and the sync cable pointing towards it.

* When I sync my iPhone I'm told that "iTunes has detected an iPhone in recovery mode. You must restore this iPhone before it can be used with iTunes."

* I then click "ok" and then I click "restore" and then I click "restore and update"

* Then a message appears that says: "extracting software...."

* Once that's done I get a new message that says: "preparing iPhone for restore...."

* Once that message pops-up I hear a beeping from my PC; the same beeping it makes when I first plug-in my iPhone, I believe it's the sound my PC makes when new hardware is plugged in. This leads me to believe that my iPhone is being turned off and turned on again by iTunes for some reason.

* Then the screen on my iPhone goes black/blank and after about 5 minutes of "preparing iPhone for restore...." I'm given a message that says: "iPhone could not be restored, unknown error. (1604)"

Aug 3, 2009 3:50 PM in response to SoCalSkippy

Try calling Apple support....I did and they were very patient and talked me through it. Unfortunately by restoring the phone, I had to re-enter all of my calendar data as it is not supported by iTunes, (most everything else, contacts, photos, and music were recovered when I synced my phone). In addition, I had to re-enter passwords , etc., but it is once again working fine.

Aug 3, 2009 3:54 PM in response to SoCalSkippy

I have a similar problem and a possible solution to yours and mine.

I attempted a restore due to the fact that my icons didn't match the apps, and I got stuck. Mine gets stuck on "connect to iTunes". So, I connect to iTunes and iTunes doesn't even recognize it. It happened again on Saturday when I attempted the 3.0.1 update. Both times I had to drive all the way to Pittsburgh, which is 70 miles one way. The Genius attaches my iPhone to his computer and blam-o, it updates fine.

This time I asked for a new phone. He told me that it's not the phone, since he is able to update/restore it fine. The problem, he says, is that when I activated it the very first time, my PC downloaded a corrupt file. This file, he says, is used in updating and restoring. I can use a computer, but have no idea on the techy stuff, so maybe someone else can argue the point.

Anyway, I have a PC, so these are the directions he gave me, and I did do them myself and it did not affect the syncing on my phone. It's up to you as to whether you want to try it. I took a chance 🙂 Plus, if you have a MAC, I don't know where your files would be.

DIRECTIONS:
Close iTunes > My Computer > Local Disc > Documents and Settings > Click whatever your computer log in is (Mine for example, is HP_Owner) > Application Data > Apple Computer > iTunes From the iTunes file, delete anything that has anything to do with the iPhone...you should see about 3 or 4, I can't remember, I know there was iPhone Software Updates and a couple more.

So, I came home and did all of that. He said it should restore and update fine after that, because iTunes will download a new file next time. I didn't try it, because if it DIDN'T work, then I'll have to head back to Pittsburgh. I'm going to wait for 3.1 and see what happens then.

If you try this and your phone then restores or updates, please let me know! Like I said, I followed the directions to a "T" and I've seen no harmful affects. I can't say it worked, but it didn't cause anything bad to happen to my computer or iTunes either. Good luck!

*also of note, prior to going to the Apple Store, I attempted all of the usual tricks first to "unbrick" my iPhone, such as uninstalling and reinstalling iTunes and it did not help. Also, my iPhone is not hacked or jailbroken in any way.

Aug 3, 2009 3:57 PM in response to SoCalSkippy

SoCalSkippy wrote:
* Then the screen on my iPhone goes black/blank and after about 5 minutes of "preparing iPhone for restore...." I'm given a message that says: "iPhone could not be restored, unknown error. (1604)"

Is the PC a desktop or laptop?

Make sure the iPhone is directly connected to a high-speed USB2 port on the PC, using the cable that came with it. This article: http://support.apple.com/kb/TS1286 provides other general tips that will resolve many USB connection issues.

-Jason

Aug 3, 2009 4:01 PM in response to SoCalSkippy

Glad your phone is working again.

If I were you, I would take RonAnnArbor's advice. The next time there's an update, rather than installing it yourself, make a Genius Bar appointment and let them do the update. If there's a problem, they will fix it for you. Either way, you will save yourself a lot of frustration.

Aug 4, 2009 9:13 PM in response to SoCalSkippy

Here is how to fix this:

* Restarted windows
* IMPORTANT - Connect iPod THEN open iTunes (or let it open automatically if you have it set to open automatically)
* iTunes recognises iPhone and suggests firmware update
* Click yes to update the iPhone and it downloads the update.
* iTunes says extracting software
* iTunes says 'Preparing iPhone for update'
* the iPhone will disconnect and go into DFU mode (totally black screen, look closely it's not powered off just totally black)

**This is where mine would hang and eventually give me a 1604 error**
If this is the case for you, start the process from the top with the following changes.

* While the iPhone is in DFU (black screen mode) go to task manager (ctl altdel on your keyboard).
* in task manager go to the 'processes' tab
* look down the list and find itunes.exe and right click on it and select 'end process'
* itunes should now close
* note iPhone should still be connected during this and have the black screen still
* restart iTunes and it will recognise the iphone and ask to restore the iPhone
* follow through by clicking on restore iPhone
* it will extract the software again yet this time the firmware update should go through

iPhone won't restore, this ALWAYS happens after an update!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.