Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Aperture 1.5.6 and Snow Leopard

Just installed Snow Leopard and tried to put pictures on Aperture but get a message that my version of Aperture cannot be used with this version of MAC OS.

Can this be true? If so, why has there been no notice that upgrading to Snow Leopard might make some Apple programs obsolete????

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.5.1)

Posted on Aug 28, 2009 6:42 PM

17 replies

Aug 28, 2009 7:14 PM in response to A A P L

Thanks for the response but OS upgrades don't almost always do that. Maybe Windows but I have upgraded MAC OS 3-4 times and have never had to purchase new versions of my software. Other than the forums, where has Apple mentioned this "benefit" of the new OS. I read all of the marketing material for Snow Leopard and no where is this mentioned.

Aperture is an Apple program that I paid $200 for, has put all of my photos into an Aperture library that I cannot retrieve without buying the $200 latest version. Avoiding this kind of rip-off is why I switched away from Windows.

Aug 28, 2009 8:02 PM in response to Chustle

You can upgrade to Aperture 2.1.4 for $100 and get a markedly better program.

Aperture 1.5.6 was replaced with Aperture 2.0 almost 18 months ago now. Yes, you will have to upgrade Aperture to use it with Snow Leopard, or you can go back to Leopard and continue using Aperture 1.5.6. It's your choice.

But to continue supporting all versions of Pro Apps with all versions of Mac OS X is a morass of a support matrix, and Apple has elected not to do that, just as Adobe doesn't support Photoshop CS2 on Snow Leopard.

Aug 29, 2009 9:28 AM in response to A A P L

No offense but why are you posting on this question thread? You run your post count up by three but have not said anything worth reading.

Your comments are insulting, assume things about me you could not possibly know and have been wrong in the little you have posted. If you don't like my question, don't have an answer, and don't have anything else to say but insults, just find something else to do.

Aug 29, 2009 9:34 AM in response to Chustle

Actually, you're mistaken.
I've offered a number of valuable pieces of advice, however, you choose to be insulted and mad at Apple (and me) because you want things to work your way - which is not the way this world works.
I'd tell my kids the same thing.
It's meant to help get you over the fact that this is reality, and you have choices.
You can ignore, "yell" at me, or continue doing the same thing.
Einstein had a term for that...

Sep 20, 2009 2:51 PM in response to Chustle

Chustle... I am with you on this particular Apple program not working based on the FACT that Aperture is not currently on the official Snow Leopard blacklist. Here is the official blacklist:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3258

Hopefully some one at Apple support will update the official blacklist. I have tried to email them directly requesting this.

Sep 21, 2009 8:02 PM in response to Chustle

I'm with the OP on this problem. I checked the Apple support web site for app's not working with SL and nowhere was it listed Aperture 1.5.6 is not compatible, otherwise I would have not upgraded to SL. I have an extensive Aperture Library of photos I use for my work that have been collected over the last two years. Now I'm being held hostage by Apple for another $100 to use my Aperture program that I originally paid $200 for.

Why should I purchase any new Apple applications, if by design they make them unusable every two years to force you to upgrade.

Again, there was no warning on the Apple web site that Aperture 1.5.6 would not be compatible with SL. This is false and misleading advertising.

Sep 21, 2009 9:24 PM in response to T_Bro54

T_Bro54.... Strangely, Aperture WAS temporarily on the blacklist and then disappeared. I don't know if there is a versioning error and the website reverted to an older blacklist. SO one way that potential users of Snow Leopard and Aperture 1.X can really learn about this incompatibility is to search for threads like this one using a search engine.

A work around for now is to open your photos in iPhoto by choosing File --> Show Aperture Library. To reset your camera import preferences, connect your camera and go to Applications --> (launch) Image Capture and set your camera to use iPhoto instead of Aperture. Now when you connect your camera, iPhoto should launch.

Hope that helps

Sep 22, 2009 5:28 AM in response to OregonStreams

Thanks for the suggestions on using iPhoto. I had to do this already to access my Aperture library. It's a work around, but an unacceptable one.

It's interesting you mention Aperture was on the blacklist, then disappeared. This proves some deception by someone at Apple to pick up more upgrade dollars. This shows a total lack of integrity at Apple for being honest with its consumers.

Oct 12, 2009 9:19 AM in response to werwerw

werwerw wrote:
It is not right to force their customers to buy new products with no notice or warning. We must sue them....

nobody is "forcing" you to do anything.... apple certainly didn't force you to upgrade to Snow Leopard, you did that on your own and you obviously didn't bother checking for application compatibly issues first (which is the first thing you should do before upgrading ANY operating system).

Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard Compatibility List:
http://snowleopard.wikidot.com/

Oct 12, 2009 10:40 AM in response to Chustle

"If so, why has there been no notice that upgrading to Snow Leopard might make some Apple programs obsolete????"

Chustle, I understand your frustration, and I'm not saying this to make you more frustrated or angry, but anytime you upgrade an OS there is the potential to break currently working software. I agree that in an ideal world perhaps all OS upgrades should be backward compatible. But even if it was technically feasible, it would not be cost efficient and IMO the OS would be so large and sluggish no one would want to use it.

For any OS change, due diligence is required on the part of the end-user (you) to research whether upgrading will adversely affect your most important software, and then decide on whether it is worth it to you. The onus is on the end-user to determine this, not the manufacturer, because they have no way to know the complexities of your system - which software/driver/network/codec versions you are running.

I just upgraded to SL this weekend, but before I did so I researched it to ensure that my Aperture 2.1.4 would be compatible as well as my version of Final Cut Express. They were (I had to read through tons of Aperture and Final Cut forums before I found my answer), so I upgraded. Had they not been I would not have. I believe there were some comments in there from others about 1.x versions of Aperture not working, but I can't be sure. If there had been a gray area where I could not find definatively whether Aperature 2 or Final Cut worked with SL, I would have just waited until I could have verified it. But that's just me. I don't need to be on the bleeding edge if there is some question as to compatibility.

Same with my PC - I may want to upgrade my PC to Windows 7 but if it is not backwards compatible with my Premiere Elements or Photoshop Elements yet I will not upgrade until I can afford the software that is compatible with it.

Again, I am not saying this to be combative - you have a right to your take on the situation as I have a right to state mine.

I hope your road getting back to a productive state is quick.

Aperture 1.5.6 and Snow Leopard

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.