Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Brother MFC Control Panel - Scan

I have not upgraded yet. Does anyone know if the Brother control panel still works? I use the scanning feature everyday for signed documents and the like and really need that. I have a 7820N set-up through router and connected wirelessly to computers. I can scan from it and obviously print. Thanks

Late 2008 Macbook, Mac OS X (10.5.8), 2,4 GHZ, 4GB RAM, 320 GB HD

Posted on Aug 29, 2009 6:02 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 29, 2009 6:42 AM

Yes it does, I've upgraded and it works fine in 32bit mode and it will also download new drivers make sure you have the latest version.

Message was edited by: Ando5
22 replies

Aug 30, 2009 9:30 AM in response to imrdata

I have a wireless MFC9840cdw. I had no problems printing after SL installed, but the Control Center Utility no longer appeared in the menu bar. I couldn't find it using spotlight either. I googled it and saw a post to simply reinstall Control Center from the Brother disk. When I did, there was a warning that there was newer software on the computer than on the installation disk. I continued anyway, and Control Center was installed. Interesting enough, my custom presets were there when the re-installed Control Center, I was glad to see that. I was not looking forward to setting up the custom pre-sets on 4 computers, and didn't have to. So far I have no printing or scanning issues.

Sep 2, 2009 7:25 AM in response to imrdata

I was unable to use the control center initially.

However, without installing anything at all after the SL upgrade, ImageCapture.app shows my 7820N as a shared device on my network. The scanning functions are mostly there and work rather well, although I don't see any way to keep presets like I had on my control center. Also, I can't figure a way to use the walk-up functions for scanning to a specific computer -- the printer has the computer destination in it, but it can't connect to the computer.

(later) I did go to the brother support site and obtain the scanner driver update. This appears to simply be a TWAIN driver, but after running the installer and rebooting, the Control Center re-appears on the menu bar. Scanning works from the control center, but I still can't find a way to configure the walk-up scanning functions.

Message was edited by: Kirk

Sep 2, 2009 8:55 AM in response to imrdata

When I loaded SL my Control Panel disappeared totally. I called Brother and they had me download and install a file called brxtwain5_320c. They also told me to go into Print and Fax preferences and delete my old printer and then re-add it. Things seem to work now, but Brother hasn't certified them for SL. There are significant (and I don't like them) differences in the printing tools, you can now go to print and a scanning menu comes up so you can scan without using control panel. I'm having another problem that started up in the past month or so, (probably at 10.5.8) When I scan to PDF using control panel, prescan is ok, scan to jpg is ok but scan to pdf turns document 90 degrees (like you put paper in flat bed sideways. Bottom of doc gets truncated. Work around is to use new scanning interface or use Adobe Acrobat Pro to scan. Brother doesn't have answer.

Sep 2, 2009 9:17 AM in response to Kirk

I made an error in my earlier post. To scan, open print & fax preferences, click on the Brother printer and you will see print and scan tabs, use the scan tab. If you want to send a fax use the normal printing interface, but use the drop down in the window below the page selection and pull down to fax. Again, I don't like it, but it's usable.

Sep 2, 2009 9:35 AM in response to lynnandvernon

The Control Center vanished, but...

1 the TWAIN plugin still works, if you have Rosetta turned on. I can and have scanned using the TWAIN plugin using both Photoshop CS2 and Graphic Converter 6.5. I have not tested anything beyond CS2 'cause I don't own CS3 or CS4 and see no particular reason to buy 'em. (Memo to Adobe: as long as CS2 still works, and there is no 64-bit version of Photoshop and InDesign and Illustrator for Mac, in direct contrast to what's available for Windows, I shall be keeping my credit card in my wallet. Deliver a 64-bit version and we can talk.)

2 the new version of ImageCapture picks up my Brother devices, even over the network. The old version of ImageCapture had problems picking them up even when connected by USB.

It doesn't seem that the Control Center is still needed.

Sep 8, 2009 12:02 PM in response to Stryke Chng

I have a Brother 7820N and have installed Snow Leopard. My computer is connected to the 7820N wirelessly via an Airport Express. Like everyone else, the Brother control panel has now gone away. I am still able to print wirelessly, but I can no longer scan. When I attempt to scan, the 7820N message screen says "connecting to PC", but never completes the connection and there is no scan. Before installing Snow Leopard, the 7820 connected to my computer and successfully scanned. Is there a fix? Thanks.

Sep 8, 2009 12:24 PM in response to DavidJ

Five fixes:

1 use Apple's Image Capture. It works on my Brother MFC 440CN, and on other Brother MFC systems.

2 use the TWAIN drivers and an application such as Graphic Converter or Photoshop. Again, my MFC 440CN works fine with TWAIN.

3 use Apple's Preview. The version which ships with SL now talks to the scanner via Image Capture.

4 use the printer application created when you add the printer using Print & Fax. There will be two buttons, one 'Print' and one 'Scan' in the upper right corner. The 'Scan' button picks up the scanner element in the MFD, again using Image Capture.

5 Brother Tech Support says that Brother is working on a replacement for not merely the Control Center, but for the scanner driver and the printer driver as well, and that it will be available 'soon', where 'soon' was defined as 'possibly this month, certainly before the end of the year'.

Please note that the options that use Image Capture require that you _launch Image Capture and set the scanner element as a known Image Capture device at least once before you use them_. Once Image Capture knows that your device is there, you'll be okay. But you have to tell it where to look, first. This is especially important if your device, like mine, is sitting out on the network rather than being connected by USB, 'cause Image Capture does not look on the network unless you tell it to.

Brother MFC Control Panel - Scan

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.