1 19 20 21 22 23 Previous Next 413 Replies Latest reply: Feb 11, 2010 9:54 PM by MacAdamy Go to original post
  • 300. Re: no tethering on officially unlocked iPhone
    xorosho Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
    (Sorry for my bad english)

    So, I'm not alone.
    I bought unlocked iPhone 3GS from Apple Store to use it with my italian operator (WIND). Wind allows tethering and doesn't differentiate tethering and mobile connections (APN is the same).
    I don't understand why Apple don't allow tethering with "unknown carriers". I understand Apple's policy with supported operators, but Apple hasn't any contract with Wind.

    I'm very angry.

    Message was edited by: xorosho
  • 301. Re: no tethering on officially unlocked iPhone
    HumanBerlin Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
    xorosho wrote:
    (Sorry for my bad english)

    So, I'm not alone.
    I bought unlocked iPhone 3GS from Apple Store to use it with my italian operator (WIND). Wind allows tethering and doesn't differentiate tethering and mobile connections (APN is the same).
    I don't understand why Apple don't allow tethering with "unknown carriers". I understand Apple's policy with supported operators, but Apple hasn't any contract with Wind.

    I'm very angry.

    Message was edited by: xorosho


    Welcome i the Club! Please bomb the Apple Support with complaints. The more they get the better to fight for our rights.
  • 302. Re: no tethering on officially unlocked iPhone
    xorosho Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
    I'll do.
  • 303. Re: no tethering on officially unlocked iPhone
    A.t.t.pple Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
    I´m sure that Apple will see some other way to assist att in that users dont tether on their network, other than closing tethering for a great number of cutomers.

    I can tether with my 100$ non-smartphone, so I would think that I could tether with my very expensive unlocked iphone.

    I believe european customers wont stand for partially locked "unlocked" phones and be quiet about it.
  • 304. Re: no tethering on officially unlocked iPhone
    HumanBerlin Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
    Today I wrote this to the Apple support in the US/Mr. J:

    Dear Mr. J,

    i bought a official unlocked iPhone 3 GS in Italy. It is forbidden for Apple and others in Italy to connect the sales of devices with the sales of carrier contracts. There has been advertised by Apple that the iPhone 3 GS supports "tethering".
    Since your firmware update 3.1 without any warning and notification Apple restricted my unlocked iPhone. I cannot use tethering any more, even if my carrier allows it explicitely.

    The shop where I bought the iPhone told me, "We sell only phones with firmware 3.0 - if you update it is your mistake. We cannot accept to return your phone."

    The carrier I use said "Unfortunately APPLE denies to give us signed ipcc-files or even to communicate with us. So it is a problem between you and Apple. We offer a data flat and full functionality to use it with any device you select. But unfortunately your device is not supported from the hardware or software side currently."

    For the moment I use my 5 years old Siemens mobile which can be used as modem without any restrictions and I need this functionality. I am convinced that Apple will not damage his own image. My carrier and my dealer cannot support me, because Apple does not support them. Due to the fact that I need the so called "tethering"-functionality, I decided to order the new Palm Pre. I still consider the iPhone the better device, but it is useless for me with your firmware restrictions.

    Please inform my, where I can send my iPhone to get the money back I paid for it or give me back what I gave you my money for: a completely unlocked iPhone 3G S with firmware 3.0.

    Yours sincerly

    Message was edited by: HumanBerlin
  • 305. Re: no tethering on officially unlocked iPhone
    lillracksingen Level 1 Level 1 (15 points)
    Wow! What happened to that excellent long post from Iceland I read earlier this morning? Why was it censored completely? I can understand that the e-mail address of an Apple employee should not be posted but what was wrong with the rest of the post? The main point which I agree with was that Apple never issued any warnings that the latest update would remove vital functionality from all iPhones - even officially unlocked ones. Very deceptive behavior which I would not expect even from Microsoft.

    FunkySpaceMonkey has posted a method for regaining tethering on 3.1.2 phones. Google it!
  • 306. Re: no tethering on officially unlocked iPhone
    iPhone-Test Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
    Apparently my previous post here was met with disapproval by the powers that be and promptly removed (but not before a couple of people had responded to confirm that they were in the same boat). Unfortunately they didn´t tell me which part of the post they didn't like so I guess I'll have to try posting it back in pieces:

    *How is it possible not to see anything wrong with this picture?*

    I am the (up till now) proud owner of a carrier unlocked 3GS 32Gb iPhone purchased in Hong Kong. Apple sold the phone with firmware 3.0, accepted FULL price for it with NO carrier subsidies and NO carrier restrictions and then later introduced such carrier restrictions SURREPTITIOUSLY through a firmware upgrade (to 3.1.2).

    It would be one thing if the phone had been sold with such known restrictions and limitations, but that was NOT the case.

    At no point in the upgrade process was I warned that:
    A) The firmware upgrade would introduce carrier restrictions previously not present on the device.
    B) The firmware upgrade could not be undone/rolled back

    No, I was URGED through iTunes to accept a purportedly NECESSARY incremental firmware upgrade to improve security and functionality of the phone.

    Apple decided to unilaterally cripple my device, remove heretofore present functionality and then seek to dictate to me who I can and cannot purchase services from and/or do business with by withholding the now necessary carrier file (as evidenced by an e-mail quoted in the removed message that was received from Apple).

    Apple's conduct in this matter can only be described as dishonest and it´s trade practices considered deceptive.

    I firmly believe that if Apple persists in denying purchasers of carrier unlocked phones (i.e. those they have previously sold unlocked phone with no restrictions) the ability to tether then Apple should prepare to pay hefty fines in the above mentioned countries (Italy, Belgium, Greece, Hong Kong, Malaysia, Australia and New Zealand to name a few) and significant damages to international customers adversely affected by the company's unilateral decision to extend their US business model to countries where it is ILLEGAL to lock cellphones to specific carriers and all phones must be sold unlocked to allow the customer free choice in their selection of carrier.

    You can´t get "just a little bit pregnant" - either a phone is locked, or unlocked - there is no in-between. They can´t lock some features and not others.

    Besides, Apple's conduct to date invites the question: Which feature of my device will they block me from using next? GPS? Text messaging?
  • 307. Re: no tethering on officially unlocked iPhone
    iPhone-Test Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
    Delputte wrote:
    Would somebody have an email message in which apple communicates the "signed carrier files only for official partners"? Such an email, with full headers, could be used for legal action against apple in some EU countries.

    I have such an e-mail and will be happy to provide it to you. Where would you like to have it sent?
  • 308. Re: no tethering on officially unlocked iPhone
    kimvette Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
    iPhone-Test wrote:
    Apparently my previous post here was met with disapproval by the powers that be and promptly removed (but not before a couple of people had responded to confirm that they were in the same boat).


    Subscribe to the thread via email so you receive all posts. They usually don't delete them so quickly the emails don't go out.
  • 309. Re: no tethering on officially unlocked iPhone
    CrayWind Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
    I've seen some people proposed Apple to provide certain operators with signed profiles. I don't like solution, as it does not work for me.
    Also mainly based in UK, I spend decent amount of time in Ukraine and some time in EU as well. I have several different sim cards to minimise my spendings. Now, when I can easily tweet my current number to my friends and co-wokers, it's more important to have cheap mobile internet rather than same phone number.
    My 3GS from Italy was mainly bought because of tethering feature. I expected to be able to stop carrying my old ME600i and second card per country with me just to be sure that my MBP is always online. All of mine operators allow using mobile phone as modem. To be honest it was 3GS advertisement where I've seen word ''tethering" for the first time. I want my iPhone to work with all my operators. I've read my license and it just says that I can't use my iPhone in certain areas, but none of countries where I use it is on the list.
  • 310. Re: no tethering on officially unlocked iPhone
    HumanBerlin Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
    CrayWind wrote:
    I've seen some people proposed Apple to provide certain operators with signed profiles. I don't like solution, as it does not work for me.
    Also mainly based in UK, I spend decent amount of time in Ukraine and some time in EU as well. I have several different sim cards to minimise my spendings. Now, when I can easily tweet my current number to my friends and co-wokers, it's more important to have cheap mobile internet rather than same phone number.
    My 3GS from Italy was mainly bought because of tethering feature. I expected to be able to stop carrying my old ME600i and second card per country with me just to be sure that my MBP is always online. All of mine operators allow using mobile phone as modem. To be honest it was 3GS advertisement where I've seen word ''tethering" for the first time. I want my iPhone to work with all my operators. I've read my license and it just says that I can't use my iPhone in certain areas, but none of countries where I use it is on the list.


    Why dont you sell your iPhone in Ebay as long as someone wants to buy this device and switch to a phone without restrictions? On the other hand you can jailbreak it or ask you lawyer to bring Apple to the court. Which option do you prefer. Apple is just an arrogant company which wants both...your money and for the iPhone and provision from there "autorized partners (carriers)". Who needs Apple?
  • 311. Re: no tethering on officially unlocked iPhone
    MakX Level 1 Level 1 (5 points)
    Bought my iPhone from Vodafone in New Zealand, factory unlocked. I moved the phone over to Telecom XT and after the 3.1 upgrade, tethering was gone.

    Apple are falsely advertising that their phones are fully carrier unlocked for certain countries. All of the features can only be used on official carriers that support tethering -- unofficial carriers, even if they do allow tethering, have the option disabled.

    Apple need to either change their policy and warn the public that the phone will NOT be fully unlocked on unofficial carriers, granted the phone is sold unlocked in those countries.

    I have contacted Apple regarding this but have yet to see a reply.
  • 312. Re: no tethering on officially unlocked iPhone
    shadowbeast Level 2 Level 2 (210 points)
    For those of you complaining about no tethering this and no tethering that....I suggest the following links.

    http://www.apple.com/iphone/countries/

    The above link lists ALL of the countries that support the iPhone.

    http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1937

    The above link shows which carriers in the aforementioned countries SUPPORT tethering.

    I would assume this list contains all countries and their associated partners for the iPhone.

    If your country/carrier is not on the list of carriers, why would you think tethering, or any other feature for that matter, would work?

    If you attempt to tether with a carrier that is not on that list, you are essentially wishing to unlock/jailbreak your phone which, as we all know, is only available in a few countries.

    My suggestion is to review the above links and stop complaining that Apple borked your tethering because it really has nothing to do with apple in my opinion.

    Have a nice day.

    Message was edited by: shadowbeast

    Message was edited by: shadowbeast
  • 313. Re: no tethering on officially unlocked iPhone
    maverick2k9 Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
    shadowbeast wrote:
    For those of you complaining about no tethering this and no tethering that....I suggest the following links.

    http://www.apple.com/iphone/countries/

    The above link lists ALL of the countries that support the iPhone.

    http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1937

    The above link shows which carriers in the aforementioned countries SUPPORT tethering.

    I would assume this list contains all countries and their associated partners for the iPhone.

    If your country/carrier is not on the list of carriers, why would you think tethering, or any other feature for that matter, would work?

    If you attempt to tether with a carrier that is not on that list, you are essentially wishing to unlock/jailbreak your phone which, as we all know, is only available in a few countries.

    My suggestion is to review the above links and stop complaining that Apple borked your tethering because it really has nothing to do with apple in my opinion.

    Have a nice day.


    I am willing to bet your post won't be deleted by Apple moderators

    Coming to the topic, Does apple expect me to go to a support website (http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1937) even BEFORE I buy the iPhone in order to find out which feature is disabled/enabled ????????? I am sorry, But I am not an Apple fanboy who has plenty of spare time to look up vague support site which is not even linked from the iPhone feature list site -> http://www.apple.com/au/iphone/iphone-3gs/tethering.html.

    In any case, my country (Australia) and carrier (Optus) is on that list. But only problem is Optus and Apple have joined hands in their greed to extract more money from paying customers. They want to charge $10 per month to use tethering feature on an unlocked phone. http://www.smh.com.au/digital-life/mobiles/optus-iphone-tethering-comes-at-a-pri ce-20090618-cizn.html

    The amount of bad publicity this issue has generated will mean that more and more people will look at "unoffical" options to "break" free from greedy corporations.
  • 314. Re: no tethering on officially unlocked iPhone
    shadowbeast Level 2 Level 2 (210 points)
    Feel lucky that you have tethering...

    I am in the US and we do not.

    The post was not meant to degrade anybody but rather point out a few important facts.

    And why wouldn't you do research prior to buying a high-tech item such as the iPhone?

    When you shop for a computer, do you stroll down the isle with your eyes closed and pick the very first one you see when said eyes open?

    Its the same concept....Research my friend, research.
1 19 20 21 22 23 Previous Next