Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone firmware update 3.1.2 is out! How's it working for you?

Whew relief at last! but 'your mileage may vary'. I am very curious how well it's working. I really hope 'comatose' is a word we can quickly forget.

I was at 3.1 last night and had hopefully my last coma ever. I put on 3.1.2 and it went very smoothly other than for some reason some of my apps lost their data. (i lost hundreds of entries from my 'Lose-it' weight management program (AWESOME by the way; down almost 20# since July).

Since putting on 3.1.2, however, phone not quite as responsive as yesterday on 3.1 (something i can deal with if it never 'goes coma' again), but once in a while it's a pretty long pause, like a 4 sec. pause in the middle of a tapping a word; again if it's a trade-off to have the phone work 100% of the time i can cope with that.

Anybody that does try the upgrade and has a problem, please go through the normal steps of putting on a clean install before 'going ballistic'. Basically, i would recommend doing a backup, putting the phone into DFU BEFORE the first attempt of 3.1.2 (which i didn't do... could be related to the 'stutters' i'm getting right now).

I recommend this method:

1. backup your phone manually (in case it doesn't ask) -> right-click on phone and pick backup
2. Get your phone into DFU mode (search apple help or google; you-tube is has great guides)
3. restore the phone while in DFU. In my experience, the phone is dark while DFU restore
4. activate the phone and 'play around a bit'; i use m.me so i can have my contacts back w/o sync
5. if things are not going well, i would go back to step 2 and re-install
6. test drive for at least a few hours before doing a 1-hr restore from backup (of your data).
7. come back here and give some feedback if it's working (or not).

So.. for me, the summary is: super-smooth 'restore' to 3.1.2 but like a 'moron' (don't take offense, it's a term of endearment for a smart person that doesn't do something the best way by being hasty).. i did just a direct upgrade from iTunes w/o heeding my own advice and DFU the phone first.

So.. i have had a couple instances of 'non response' to things like hitting the home button, the sleep button, but i've had that since 3.0; it was why i upgraded to 3.1 in the first place. I'm very curious about why my 'accidental' install of 3.1 was so darn fast, and i want it back, so over the weekend i'll do a DFU re-install of 3.1.2 if it doesn't clear up with a restart.

No coma yet, but too soon to know if 3.1.2 is the reason. If you have a perfectly working phone at 3.0 or 3.01, i wouldn't bother upgrading, the only 'super cool' thing you'll be missing is the ability to sort your home pages icons in iTunes (super amazing; best part of 3.1 OS for sure). Just wait a week or three to see what others say first!

Oh.. if you really want a clean install.. use a fresh 'user' on your computer to do the update, then just don't bother syncing, and switch back to 'you' before doing 'restore from backup'.

Ok, wish you guys all luck, hope that everybody has a fully operational phone/ipod after this.

-awr

iPhone 3.1.2! woo hoo., Mac OS X (10.5)

Posted on Oct 9, 2009 3:20 PM

193 replies

Oct 9, 2009 3:55 PM in response to andrewwynn

Background apps? They're not supported.

If you have 7 pages open in Safari and don't want them then why don't you close them??????

Seriously, it's easy to do: open Safari, tap the number that's bottom-right and then tap the red 'X' on the pages that appear. Don't get confused between 'web-pages' and 'apps' though, because Safari deals ONLY in web-pages.....

Oct 9, 2009 4:10 PM in response to andrewwynn

I updated to 3.1.2 and 24 hours in, it's worked fine - no glitches.
A few details - after the problems with 3.1 - I did downgrade back to 3.0.1 to get my phone working again.
Yesterday, I did a back-up first, then took and additional safety step and copied the back up to a thumb drive - Mac users, your back up is located here: ~/Library/Application Support/MobileSync/Backup/
I then did a "Restore" before adding 3.1.2 - and I would really recommend this doing this if you're still experiencing problems.
the Restore, then backup scenario took almost three hours, so plan ahead.
It's only been 24 hours, but so far, so good. And if Apple reads these things - YOU CAN'T DO THIS TO US AGAIN. THESE ARE OUR PHONES - for many of us, the only phone we have!

Oct 9, 2009 6:20 PM in response to RestlessFool

RestlessFool wrote:
Background apps? They're not supported.

If you have 7 pages open in Safari and don't want them then why don't you close them??????

if you would recall... i already said because i was 'being a moron' :-D i.e. i should close out the old ones more often to avoid RAM limitations.. because even if safari is not RUNNING in the background; the information is held somewhere for those pages. (RAM).. since there is no 'hard drive', not exactly sure where Virtual Memory would come into play. I will definitely check out the before/after memory situation if the activity app is still available! Plus.. just because OTHER developers can't have background processes doesn't mean apple can't. Being an apple developer since like '92, i've seen many times when they broke their own programming guidelines (not that they aren't allowed to change the rules; they write 'em).

RestlessFool wrote:

Seriously, it's easy to do: open Safari, tap the number that's bottom-right and then tap the red 'X' on the pages that appear. Don't get confused between 'web-pages' and 'apps' though, because Safari deals ONLY in web-pages.....

Actually with OS 3, they even added another nice feature; you can now close the last page; in 2.x you had to create a new empty page to close the last filled page.. with 3.0 you can skip that step, it's one of the very NICE things about 3.X.. which btw.. i will actually TAKE the occasional hiccup to have the features... i would consider 2.0 a 'beta' 'cause 3.0 is a work of art.

Aussie YZF R6 wrote:

It's called System Activity Monitor in the Apps Store. It's the only one left that purge the ram.

Sweet; i love when somebody can share helpful info like that!

-awr

Oct 9, 2009 6:24 PM in response to andrewwynn

It's awful. I downloaded it and started the install on my phone and the phone died, just erased the memory and died. Took it to the "genious bar" who said "well we can't do anything because it appears to have been water damaged". I have no idea how it tells them that, but refusing to help with a software problem is inexcusable. Likewise, this is my only phone and not having it is an extreme inconvenience. Luckily I have my old phone to use while this tempermental POS gets worked out. This is the LAST apple product i'll ever buy! Those of you who haven't upgraded, DON'T! God help you if you have trouble, this company will not help you!

iPhone firmware update 3.1.2 is out! How's it working for you?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.