Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Magic Mouse Loses Connection

My Magic Mouse keeps losing its connection. Has any one else had this happen to them. I reapplied the update and had gone through the set again but the connection repeatedly is lost. Luckily I still have my wired mouse plugged in or my IMAC would be useless.

IMAC, Mac OS X (10.5.6)

Posted on Nov 1, 2009 1:39 PM

357 replies

Jan 17, 2017 9:50 AM in response to wispa

Just to add this info: I'm having connectivity issues like crazy and I'm using

Sanyo Eneloop rechargeables.

I will never be using a wireless keyboard/mouse with non-rechargeable batteries. Did any of you guys ever consider the immense amount of waste you create by using new batteries ech time the old ones go empty?

Apr 1, 2017 8:03 PM in response to ArnieB

My magic mouse is circa 2013 and it has been disconnecting since I bought it. Hence I never used it, was an extremely expensive paperweight. Reading this thread so I tried 2 things:

1. cleaned the battery contacts, new batteries

2. turned off blue tooth of my iPhone.

Working like a charm now. Has not disconnected on me so far - going on 2 hrs. Before it disconnects every 2 min.

Apr 2, 2017 12:31 AM in response to dontmesswithmama

Since I reported this fault (over three years ago) it seems to have largely gone away for me. As I have not really done anything to correct the issue I can only assume that subsequent updates to the OS have resolved a software issue. I did originally try all the various "fixes" suggested on this and other sites and none worked consistently.

I still believe this was a poor piece of design - the contact springs are not strong enough to maintain contact with the batteries, so if there is any vibration they jump and briefly lose contact. Battery life also has an effect on this. Low power levels are more vulnerable and as an aside the power consumption of these mice is huge. A set of batteries last less than a month and the meter never shows more than 70 or 80% charge - even with new batteries straight out of the pack. Neither the keyboard or the touchpad have this issue, so its something in the mouse design/construction.

Nov 1, 2009 9:44 PM in response to ArnieB

Hello Arnie:

I have suggested this elsewhere and it seems to have helped several people with similar problems.

Trash a preference file and restart (com.apple.bluetooth.plist)

Make the mouse a favorite:

System preferences>bluetooth. Highlight the mouse and click on the little gear thing and select show more options. Click on the gear again and make the mouse a favorite.

Barry

Nov 4, 2009 9:45 AM in response to stansil

Hello Stan:

For future reference, you will get wider readership (and, hopefully, assistance) if you post questions as a new thread.

The preference file I mentioned is located in Macintosh HD>library>preferences. After you restart, OS X will rebuild the preference file with default values automatically.

As I indicated above, making a Bluetooth device a favorite frequently helps with disconnect issues.

Barry

Dec 7, 2009 10:43 AM in response to Kenneth Haim

I was having the same problem... getting a real mouse with a cord fixed the problem instantly... the magic mouse is without question the worst thing to come out of apple since the mighty mouse... the connection goes in and out all day long... probably spent 10 minutes out of every hour waiting for lost connections... when it does work, you feel as though you have to press twice as hard, and hold on for dear life to keep the mouse working... I see the might mouse like dating the best looking girl in college even though she's as dumb as a fence post... it takes a long time to get past her looks, but once you do and dump her for something good looking and brighter, your life is a thousand times better... the amount of trouble a dumb girlfriend or rotten mouse provides isn't worth hanging it... avoid the magic mouse at all costs... it's not worth the trouble... it should be noted i lost the connection TWICE writing this post...

Message was edited by: jeffbrooks

Dec 7, 2009 1:03 PM in response to jeffbrooks

A very helpful thread. I'm sure that many users aren't having many problems, but my past experience with wireless mice suggests that disconnection issues due to low power, inconsistent networks, and hardware constraints can make the way for an unpleasant computing experience. The basic features of the Magic Mouse are impressive, but I still haven't found anything that beats a powered Kensington trackball.

Magic Mouse Loses Connection

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.