Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't install 10.6.2

I'm running into a problem installing 10.6.2. I first tried to install it with Software Update, but when Software Update was doing the install I got a spinning cursor. I killed Software Update and tried again, but I got the same result. I then tried downloading the update and installing it, but Installer just sits at the "Preparing Mac OS X Update..." window. At this point I can't quit Installer because it gives me a "The Installer is busy. The window can't be closed." message.

Any suggestions on how to get installs working? I don't see any helpful messages in the console.

Message was edited by: weisbach

MacMini, Mac OS X (10.6.1)

Posted on Nov 10, 2009 5:30 PM

15 replies

Nov 10, 2009 6:38 PM in response to weisbach

Try this:

Repairing the Hard Drive and Permissions

Boot from your SL Installer disc. After the installer loads select your language and click on the Continue button. When the menu bar appears select Disk Utility from the Utilities menu. After DU loads select your hard drive entry (mfgr.'s ID and drive size) from the the left side list. In the DU status area you will see an entry for the S.M.A.R.T. status of the hard drive. If it does not say "Verified" then the hard drive is failing or failed. (SMART status is not reported on external Firewire or USB drives.) If the drive is "Verified" then select your OS X volume from the list on the left (sub-entry below the drive entry,) click on the First Aid tab, then click on the Repair Disk button. If DU reports any errors that have been fixed, then re-run Repair Disk until no errors are reported. If no errors are reported click on the Repair Permissions button. Wait until the operation completes, then quit DU and return to the installer. Now restart normally.

If DU reports errors it cannot fix, then you will need Disk Warrior and/or Tech Tool Pro to repair the drive. If you don't have either of them or if neither of them can fix the drive, then you will need to reformat the drive and reinstall OS X.

Download the 10.6.2 Combo Updater and try again. Be sure you do not download the server update.

Nov 10, 2009 8:56 PM in response to Kappy

I haven't tried booting from the installer disk, but I tried using disk utility to verify my hard drive and it says it is OK. I tried repairing permissions and it reported that it could fix several problems, but one problem remained that it couldn't fix. I then tried installing again, but I got this error: "The Installer encountered an error that caused the installation to fail. Contact the software manufacturer for assistance."

It is pretty surprising that this system has a problem, it is only 3 weeks old. I guess I need to try one of those tools.

Nov 11, 2009 1:43 AM in response to weisbach

HI,

Make sure there is sufficient disk space.

Right or control click the MacintoshHD icon. Click Get Info. In the Get Info window you will see Capacity and Available. Make sure you always have a minimum of 10% to 15% free disk space at all times.

Try using the standalone 10.6.2 update available here.

http://www.apple.com/downloads/macosx/apple/macosx_updates/macosxv1062update.htm l

When you can't update from the Apple Menu / Software Updates or System Preferences / Software Updates, always try Apple's standalone update pages.

If you are successful, after the installation, repair disk permissions.

Carolyn 🙂

Nov 11, 2009 6:49 AM in response to Carolyn Samit

Carolyn,

While that is a good second approach, a bigger problem exists, that this glosses over. A fresh install of Snow leopard fails to allow installs, out of the box. This is a major defect that needs to be addressed.

I to install Snow Leopard fresh on my Macbook Pro Core 2 Duo, only to have Apple software update fail, saying it cannot save ANY updates. I have enough space as well. This *****. Apple should have done more testing before releasing this OS. Beating Windows 7 out of the gate, only to fail before turn one, is not the way Apple should do business. Sure I can download each individual update, then install, but doesn't that go against the "it just works" motto? This is worst than Windows by far...

Dan O

Nov 11, 2009 7:33 AM in response to weisbach

Left over remnants from software update left behind? I know early downloaders found they were getting timed out, had to bail/quit the update.

I never install Mac updates without first making a backup I can boot from (usually just a 10 minute update process) and booting from another drive (so I am running current OS and using the last Disk Utility rather than even 10.6.0).

Stand alone combo updates have another advantage, you can install to system volume other than the one you are currently booted from and running. Meaning run DU (and Disk Warrior) first and without even booting from your main hard drive, apply the update, repair permissions, then boot from it.

I may use Software Update for other programs, but I always download the standalone as well for future.

Because it was busy, I'd leave it for awhile. Then look for the downloaded package and any temp files.

If you had a backup image ("clone") you could always just restore to where it was previously.

Windows creates "restore check points" before starting an update, something that I've come to appreciate, easy to rollback drivers also.

One final thought, Apple First Aid in Disk Utility is safe, conservative, but has not eliminated the need for 3rd party utility that do more and can find more errors. Plus, even verifying a live system isn't perfect, so I wouldn't trust it to know if a system is okay. Only means it didn't find anything. Doesn't mean the file system is in perfectly good health.

Nov 11, 2009 9:04 AM in response to weisbach

I tried to install the update this morning and I dearly wish I had not. The install failed and now my MacBook Pro is unusable. Disk Utility (on an install disk) and Disk Warrior also fail and freeze, the track pad is dead, gestures are gone and the finder will not launch. If a programme launches it takes minutes. I am not a happy camper right now. For what it is worth, I did try doing all the above from a secondary account as well. If I try to reinstall from my original Snow Leopard disk, is it going to wipe out my files, or is this a safe way to start again?

Nov 12, 2009 6:15 AM in response to weisbach

My original post was deleted since it moved into "rant" territory.
Just as well the reader wasn't on the phone with me.

Was able to restore 10.6.1 from time machine. There is a message asking if I am sure I want to erase the system drive and ALL data. Doesn't mention that it will be replaced with all time machine data. But it got me back up by about 7:00 pm but it DID work. Expect to spend some time fixing plists and prefs. They do not come back seamlessly.

Never was able to successfully instal 10.6.2 without formatting a drive that had no errors or problems reported. Disk repair said that my drive had a "node" problem that it could not repair. IMHO the upgrade didn't "node" what it was talking about. After formatting system drive, combo upgrade did install.

It will be some time before I let another system UG install on it's own.

Nov 12, 2009 7:45 PM in response to weisbach

Curious. I just tried installing unrelated software from Apple and I ran into this installation problem again, the installer just sits with the progress bar up, but never installs. The only console message from the installer is:

" * -[NSMachPort handlePortMessage:]: dropping incoming DO message because the connection or ports are invalid"

Nov 13, 2009 1:36 AM in response to Donald Palmer

Don,

Exactly how much more testing was needed? Answer: Enough to make sure we can install OS and run Apple software update succesfully at a minimum.

How much testing was done? Answer: Not enough apparently.

Sounds like a lot of uninformed opinion. Answer: I am informed enough, in the fact that bought the computer, bought the software, followed the instructions exactly, and it failed.

All the updates worked for me, why not you? Answer: Unsure. More testing may have produced the answer.

Clean the junk off your computer's hard drive, install SL, update to 10.6.2, migrate your TM backup and see what happens. Answer: I tried, but only got to the Install SL step. If I would have got through the steps you listed, I would not have had to post the comment/question.

Dan

Nov 13, 2009 2:23 PM in response to Danny O

Dan,
I sounds like you might have a hardware problem if you can't install SL on an empty machine.
Or could it be that the install disk is faulty, I've heard problems with some disks. I've also heard of problems with some memory modules that don't meet the more stringent requirements of the new SL systems.
Have you tried installing SL on any other of your Macs?

Don

Can't install 10.6.2

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.