Previous 1 2 3 Next 527 Replies Latest reply: Aug 8, 2015 12:09 AM by MondDevon Branched to a new discussion.
persol19 Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
I have a year old wireless apple keyboard (the small aluminum one) and lately it has been eating batteries.
This did not happen before I installed snow leopard however that might not be the cause.

Is anyone else having these problems?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

MBP 15" 2.2 Santa Rosa, Mac OS X (10.6.2)
  • Barry Hemphill Level 8 Level 8 (37,065 points)
    Hello p:

One of my two BT keyboards is doing the same thing - very little use, but using lots of battery power. That one is attached to a G5 running OS X 10.5.8 so OS X 10.6 is not the cause.

Candidly, I have ignored the issue as I use rechargeable batteries (2650 mAh Duracells) and a 15 minute recharger (both quite reasonable new on eBay). I have a drawer full of rechargeable batteries so I am never more than 15 minutes from replacement. Rechargeable batteries do not last as long as Lithium ones (voltage difference, I think), but that makes no difference to me.

• ReLu Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
    Hello Persol

I have the same problem on two BT keyboards (on a PowerBook and MacBook Pro respectively) since I updated the driver in order to use Apples new mouse.
  • DaddyPaycheck Level 6 Level 6 (16,035 points)
    Yes, I have had this problem and no, it shouldn't happen.

As Barry mentioned you can use rechargeable batteries, or better yet, have it repaired/replaced under warranty or AppleCare.

Message was edited by: DaddyPaycheck
  • bjsully Level 1 Level 1 (15 points)
    I also have experienced this problem. I have a wireless aluminum keyboard (short style) that has been eating batteries since I upgraded to Snow Leopard. Two sets of batteries (six) since the upgrade. I also noticed my wireless mighty mouse also using batteries. I have since gone to the new magic mouse, so we will see if the new mouse has an appetite.
  • NI3LS Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
    Same here.

Updated to the new Magic Mouse Software and the battery life is shorter from both!

10.6.2 doesn't resolve it!
  • Jcpudd Level 1 Level 1 (145 points)
    I can't exactly pin point when this started happening but it was either after a keyboard firmware update or the installation of the new driver for my magic mouse. But I barely use my keyboard and had the same batteries in it for over 6 months. Now since one of these update (2 to 3 weeks ago) I have had to replace the batteries twice, with no more than 30 minutes of usage a day.

Hopefully Apple can get the ball rolling on a fix.
  • persol19 Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
    Thanks for the replies everyone. Im going to look in getting some rechargeable batteries asap.

I doubt I would be able to have the keyboard replaced at this point because it is already at least a year old. I'll just have to wait and see what happens.

I hope this problem can be resolved although I doubt it will be anytime soon because of the bluetooth update needed to use the new magic mouse.

Thanks again,
  • NI3LS Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
    I'm using rechargeable batteries for over six months now. No problems at all.

It seems a lack in the Software Update for the Magic Mouse/Wireless Keyboard.

The Magic Mouse does work much longer than the keyboard, with the same batteries.

Apple, resolve this, please, can't work with this!
  • ShadowX Level 2 Level 2 (280 points)
    I'm having the same issue. I picked up a Magic Mouse right when they became available. At the time, I was using my USB keyboard but I also had the short aluminum (3 battery) bluetooth keyboard in my closet. Since my new mouse is wireless I decided to start using the BT keyboard as well to go all wireless. Since then, the batteries in the mouse have been fine and still report 75% charge but the batteries in my keyboard have needed to be replaced 3 times already. I'm using normal Energizer batteries (not rechargeables). I do use the keyboard quite a bit (probably 8 hours a day) but I remember when I used this keyboard in the past the batteries lasted for many months, not the few days they are lasting now. I put in new batteries in the keyboard yesterday and today I see it is reporting only a 77% charge already.

I am running Snow Leopard on a Mac Pro.
  • jaynewt Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
    Exactly the same issue here, since upgrading to the Magic mouse my batteries are being gobbled up. I replaced them just last night and today they are down to 68%. So much for apple being green! Apple please fix this now!
  • coreygs Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
    I am having this exact problem going through about a set of AAs every week on my keyboard. Started happening about the same time I got the new magic mouse. Hope apple releases an update soon to fix this...
  • ashtonskye Level 1 Level 1 (10 points)
    after upgrading to 10.6 and purchase of a mighty mouse, my never used 3 battery apple wireless keyboard goes dead in two weeks time
  • youngcr Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
    Seeing the same issue, keyboard batteries lasting little less than 2 weeks now. Was a couple months prior to Snow Leopard.
  • BayouTiger Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
    Add me to this list since adding the Mighty Mouse I have been through 4 sets of batteries.
Previous 1 2 3 Next