Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Connecting to McDonald's WiFi

I am not a networking newbie.

McDonald's with WiFi - check
AT&T DSL Account Credentials - check

For the last two years I've been able to use McDonald's WiFi with my MacBook using my AT&T login information. Just pull up a browser and then get prompted to login. Enter DSL email address & password and then I'm online using their WiFi.

Today I went to McDonalds with my new iPod Touch expecting a similar procedure and experience but something else happened.

I chose the Waypoint WiFi and got a good signal but whenever I tried to do anything requiring online access I got a blank white screen with a bold header labeled "LOGIN". There was no place I could see where I could enter my login credentials. I also tried the WiFi SSID labeled ATT and got the same results.

I even tried just opening a page in Safari hoping to get the login web page but it said I was not connected even though I had a signal. Then the white login page came up again. I cannot tell what this blank white page is from ... the iPod Touch O/S, Safari, or something else... it doesn't seem to be a Safari page since I don't have the controls.

Anyone have any insight to this issue? Or at least know what program is putting up the white page?

(2) Mini 1.66 Ghz Duo Core • MacBook 1.83 Ghz Duo Core, Mac OS X (10.5.8), (2) B+W G3/500 • Gigabit G4/1.6 Ghz Dual

Posted on Dec 16, 2009 5:53 PM

13 replies

Dec 17, 2009 6:37 AM in response to sparky67

I haven't tried logging on at McDonalds (mainly because I would rather starve than eat anything from there) but the screen you are getting to login is probably correct - and not configured for mobile devices. Try your touch in landscape and drag your finger to scroll around the screen until you find the login fields.

Dec 17, 2009 7:58 AM in response to luvlabs

luvlabs wrote:
Try your touch in landscape and drag your finger to scroll around the screen until you find the login fields.

This was not a Safari screen, or if it was, it did not act like one. Could not switch to landscape and when I said it was completely blank, I meant it already filled the screen white with no scroll bars and no spillover to scroll to. There was also no address bar at the top, just the gray bar with the word "LOGIN"... no other buttons or controls.

Dec 17, 2009 4:29 PM in response to sparky67

No, it isn't a Safari screen but it is certainly like a web page. If it doesn't rotate to landscape, that might be fine. However, despite not having any scroll bars you should be able to drag the screen around with your finger.

What does your laptop login screen look like for McDs? This might just be a problem of bad html on McDs part. I've run into similar problems with Panera's log in screens.

Just thought of one more thing - after you "connect" to the McDs WiFi, tap Safari. Whatever page comes up, try to renew it. You should get the logon page that way.

Message was edited by: luvlabs

Dec 17, 2009 4:35 PM in response to luvlabs

luvlabs wrote:
No, it isn't a Safari screen but it is certainly like a web page. If it doesn't rotate to landscape, that might be fine. However, despite not having any scroll bars you should be able to drag the screen around with your finger.

- no, *cannot move it around at all* is what I mean by "no scroll".
- all white with a grey bar across the top and the word "LOGIN" within the bar.
- cannot click on anything except a "cancel" button in the very top of the screen.
- no toolbar or address bar.
- does not rotate to landscape mode.
- no other boxes, inputs, or buttons.

What does your laptop login screen look like for McDs? This might just be a problem of bad html on McDs part. I've run into similar problems with Panera's log in screens.

With the MacBook on previous trips I simply open a browser and get a McDonald's welcome page with WiFi login options. I select whatever option pertains to AT&T DSL users and enter my login credentials... never an issue.

When I tried this on the iPod's version of Safari, I get an error about not being connected and this Login Screen we've discussed pops up.

No, it isn't a Safari screen but it is certainly like a web page.

What do you mean? If it's not coming from Safari, what program is generating this?

Dec 18, 2009 10:01 AM in response to sparky67

All the information that I have read says that free wi-fi at McDonald's is not to begin until 2010. Though I've never tried it, my understanding is that currently you have to pay for wi-fi at McDonald's or Starbucks, unless you have some free arrangement with your ISP.

This may explain why you are getting the strange screen. What happens when you go to Panera's where wi-fi has been and is still free?

Dec 18, 2009 10:10 AM in response to Frank Deale

Frank Deale wrote:
All the information that I have read says that free wi-fi at McDonald's is not to begin until 2010. Though I've never tried it, my understanding is that currently you have to pay for wi-fi at McDonald's or Starbucks, unless you have some free arrangement with your ISP.

This may explain why you are getting the strange screen. What happens when you go to Panera's where wi-fi has been and is still free?

As stated in my original posting, I am an AT&T DSL customer which entitles me to free Wifi at McDonalds. I just login using my DSL email address & password. Been doing that with my MacBook for several years.

I have not tried other hotspots yet.

Dec 18, 2009 10:15 AM in response to Frank Deale

Frank Deale wrote:
Also some of the ISP providers that provide free wi-fi at various commercial locations only provide it for laptops and not for hand-held devices like the Touch. This is certainly the rule for Verizon.

This may be the case... which is why I posted this topic. Hoping to get firm confirmation from anyone that can or cannot connect with their Touch at McDonalds.

However since AT&T is also the sole iPhone provider, I'd be very surprised if they exclude iPhones from their free Wifi hotspots. Yes, AT&T customers who are entitled to free AT&T Wifi can lookup these Wifi locations on the AT&T site... all Wifi equipped McDonald's are listed.

Dec 19, 2009 10:40 AM in response to sparky67

The screen is generated as part of the network login screens - this was added with 3.0. Not sure why, I guess some programmer thought it was a good idea. It normally works as advertised so the only thing I can come up with is that page source (McDs or AT&T) is poorly written (wouldn't be the first time) and does not display properly.

Sorry I don't have a fix for you.

Dec 19, 2009 10:58 AM in response to luvlabs

luvlabs wrote:
The screen is generated as part of the network login screens - this was added with 3.0. Not sure why, I guess some programmer thought it was a good idea. It normally works as advertised so the only thing I can come up with is that page source (McDs or AT&T) is poorly written (wouldn't be the first time) and does not display properly.

Sorry I don't have a fix for you.

Thank-you. That explains a lot.

It's certainly dissapointing given that these are AT&T hotspots.

Dec 23, 2009 9:54 PM in response to sparky67

Today I tried two more "free" hotspots.

*1) Staples.* I got the screen with the Login bar across the top again but this time it was a page of terms & conditions with an "agree" button at the bottom. I clicked agree and I was connected. However I could NOT use Safari nor Mail. This was odd since the weather program was updating just fine. Before you say "Staples does not want you surfing the web or checking email"... the terms & conditions page said specifically that you are allowed to check your email... however not sure how you can do this if they are blocking your browser.

*2) Panera Bread.* Same login screen again with terms & conditions. Just click "agree" and get online with no restrictions that I could see.

So it seems that McDonald's just has an issue with how the login page/system is designed to work with the Touch.

Connecting to McDonald's WiFi

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.