Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Casing Cracked

Hey, the casing on my MacBook cracked. Even though my computer is no longer covered by apple care, I called them and made an appointment with the Genus Bar. They Replaced the casing for free. 🙂 It turns out that the casing, keyboard and trackpad are all in one piece. Now I have a new keyboard, trackpad, and casing.

MacBook (White), Mac OS X (10.6.2), Late 2007+ iPod Touch 2nd Gen

Posted on Dec 20, 2009 10:04 PM

33 replies

Dec 28, 2009 10:27 AM in response to iceman123

Glad that they fixed yours. Mine has cracked 4 times now. The casing is really awful. Worse still, I was told today, when I went in to get it fixed, that in the future, Apple won't fix it, saying that it is my fault. This problem is very well documented and clearly a design flaw. Apple seems quite unwilling to do what it takes to fix the problem.

Fixing the casing doesn't fix the problem. Fixing the design flaw does. Blaming customers doesn't fix the problem either. It just makes us less inclined to support their products.

Dec 31, 2009 4:08 PM in response to BarryCT

I had that same issue about a year after purchasing my Macbook. They said it was my fault, when I really saw no way that it could be. I keep it in a hard plastic case, it never gets banged around, and when I take it around, it's always in a secure, laptop backpack. I had to really go at it with Apple to get it replaced and they finally did it, although they warned me that next time, I would have to pay. It really is frustrating since I love Apple's products.

Feb 5, 2010 6:10 PM in response to iceman123

i have the first generation macbook which i bought on launch.

after finding out that they replace the casing due to the crack recently, i went to the genius bar tonight.

the genius basically told me i am out of luck since u have to get it fixed within 3 years from purchase date.

this i found quite unfair.
1. apple never release official info. regard this repair
2. it is a design fault by apple
3. not everyone keeps up with apple news all the time - if i didn't google it recently, i would've never know about this
4. upon research, some ppl are still able to get it replaced after the "3 year time limit" - why the discrepancy?
5. there shouldn't be a time limit for this repair period - i had to live with my macbook all taped up for years now.

just some ranting..

i doubt this will change anything.

I don't really care much for the crack, its only aesthetic.
I thought I'd get it fixed so I can sell the macbook and upgrade to a macbook pro.

Guess not.

Will probably never buy anymore Apple products in awhile.

Feb 12, 2010 11:03 AM in response to iceman123

They replaced mine a couple of days ago. I brought my Macbook (1.1) in to have the dead optical drive assessed. When I asked if they still sold new top cases, the Genius Bar person said she was actually doing the paperwork to replace it free and was planning to surprise me.

Am I to understand that the new top case is just a fragile as the original? I notice several people have had to replace theirs more than once.

May 2, 2010 8:24 PM in response to iceman123

I have a 13” white MacBook that’s 2 1/2 yrs. old and still covered by Apple Care. On the right side of the bottom case I now have a hairline crack that is emanating from a screw hole and is 1/2” in length. I took my MacBook to the Apple store. They denied coverage saying it is only a cosmetic problem and in no way interferes with the operation of my MacBook. I also called Apple tech support. They also agreed that Apple Care doesn’t cover this problem. Apple Care isn’t cheap. However, their extended warranty has too many loopholes to see the value in buying this product.

May 3, 2010 10:48 AM in response to BruceRobin

My wife's white macbook is cracking again for the _third time_ in the [same places (front and back).|http://www.flickr.com/photos/guapogringo/sets/72157623855162007] Plus, the fan is grinding while she is in class (teacher) so she can't have it on during lecture. Moreover, it looks like the case is also discoloring from the heat. She always complains about the heat so I imagine the cracking and possibly the discoloration are related to the heat.

We took it to the genius bar over the weekend for the fan and cracking plastic. We were told it was "cosmetic" and would not be covered under her Apple care warranty. I called customer service (Applecare) and they are sending us a box to send it in. The box came on Sat so we'll see what happens.

Needless to say I think this is our last Mac-anything.

May 3, 2010 11:17 AM in response to JohnBradshaw

Facing same problem third time in 9-10 month, free replacement is not a permanent solution ( even free replacement cost me around USD 190 each time in terms of fuel ), problem is there and comes every 2-3rd month, damage body looks too bad and its impossible to use it during business meetings, do not know why i bought the Apple instead of Sony Business Laptops ( never faced any issue during last 10 years with Sony Business Laptops ) + recommended to cousin who just bought iPhone and MacBook. Woking performance of workbook is ok but cracked body........

Apple must replace the complete body as its complete disaster in design and material selection.

May 3, 2010 6:58 PM in response to Mehmood Aslam

Mehmood Aslam wrote:
do not know why i bought the Apple instead of Sony Business Laptops ( never faced any issue during last 10 years with Sony Business Laptops )

Coincidentally, my wife owned two Vaios before buying the Macbook, and still her has her last one. Neither of them cracked or had any failures. Couldn't tell you how good or bad Sony's customer service is b/c _we've never had to call them._

May 3, 2010 7:35 PM in response to iceman123

I had the exact same thing happen to me. My 2007 white Macbook is my baby and I take such good care of it. Still, despite that my top case cracked. Apple replaced it for free while I waited even though I was out of Applecare. Excellent service- I made sure to give great feedback for my Park City (in Lancaster, PA) store.

May 3, 2010 10:11 PM in response to nickux

Good, i think, material selection in old books was good, i bought this book in July last year and got same problem third time, now i have asked Apple to advise permanent solution as replacement and replacement is not a solution. Even Free replacement cost me USD 190+/- per replacement ( its fuel cost only ).....hotel and other expanses are separate. Over and above all, now i am disturb mentally and feel uncomfortable during business meetings as i could not take laptop in meetings due to cracked body.

Let see how the Apple react.....

May 8, 2010 7:10 AM in response to Mehmood Aslam

My wife's computer came back last Thursday... I opened it up, nothing was repaired. They didn't replace the cracked bottom case or the grinding fan. However, they did replace the top case keyboard but for what reason I have no idea (it was not cracked, or had any problems). _Frustrated doesn't even begin to describe it._

I imagine we will send it in again sometime next week...or the week after. My wife and I are sort of tired of dealing with them, we're ready to just chuck this thing in the garbage and get another Vaio.

May 15, 2010 12:49 AM in response to iceman123

I had my cracked case replaced for the 4th time this week. Must admit, I'm very disheartened. I love my MacBook, but I'm tired of this problem!!!!!!! While the folks in the Apple store were nice, they kept reiterating cases don't typically crack this many times. Based on several posts here, it's not as uncommon as they seem to suggest. They may not have meant it in such a way, but I felt like there was a strong suggestion that I'd done something "wrong." At this point, I **** near baby my MacBook, because I feel like it's fragile.

I appreciate Apple's willingness to replace the part for the life of my machine, but I don't want to go through the hassle of having to bring my MacBook in for all eternity to have this defective part replaced. All I want is to have the problem resolved, once and for all.

Apple, please help!!! What can be done to ensure this problem doesn't recur? I'm really TIRED of this!

May 15, 2010 5:06 PM in response to Ro115

Ro115 wrote:
I had my cracked case replaced for the 4th time this week. Must admit, I'm very disheartened. I love my MacBook, but I'm tired of this problem!!!!!!! While the folks in the Apple store were nice, they kept reiterating cases don't typically crack this many times. Based on several posts here, it's not as uncommon as they seem to suggest. They may not have meant it in such a way, but I felt like there was a strong suggestion that I'd done something "wrong." At this point, I **** near baby my MacBook, because I feel like it's fragile.

I appreciate Apple's willingness to replace the part for the life of my machine, but I don't want to go through the hassle of having to bring my MacBook in for all eternity to have this defective part replaced. All I want is to have the problem resolved, once and for all.

Apple, please help!!! What can be done to ensure this problem doesn't recur? I'm really TIRED of this!

[You're not alone.|http://www.flickr.com/photos/guapogringo/sets/72157623855162007>

My wife's MB was finally replaced with a unibody model but not without a fight. We're contemplating selling it and getting another Vaio. We had been refused warranty service on it twice in their retail store and had to get it handled all through Apple customer service. These things are _not reliable_ enough for constant use, like in a classroom environment.

The last thing to go wrong on it besides plastics was [the fan was grinding.|http://www.flickr.com/photos/guapogringo/4609238085/in/set-7215762385 5162007> The LCD was replaced about a year ago (too dim to see) and the battery went not long after.

We are telling all of our friends, family, and colleagues about our experience(s) and how they were handled.

MacBook Casing Cracked

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.