Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Wi-fi issues with new 3.1.3 update

Just updated to the new FW 3.1.3 and now my iPhone 3G wont connect to my wi-fi. It see's it but when I select it, after a few seconds I get a error: "Unable to join the network."
I reset my router and still nothing. MBP and PS3 can get on just fine.
Anybody else having issues?

MacBook Pro ~ Oct 14, 2008~, Mac OS X (10.6.2), 2.53GHz, 4GB RAM, nVidia 9400m & 9600mGT 512mb, 320GB hdd

Posted on Feb 2, 2010 6:35 PM

95 replies

Feb 2, 2010 6:56 PM in response to Goaliegeek

No such problem here.

Try selecting the network to view the network settings and then select Forget Network to remove the network and network settings from your iPhone. Follow this by re-joining the network.

If no change, go to Settings > General > Reset and select Reset Network Settings. This will delete all wi-fi network settings from your iPhone. Try re-joining your wireless network.

Feb 3, 2010 12:06 AM in response to Goaliegeek

Reading this and the other posts on Wifi problems is disturbing. My iPhone 3G is on firmware 3.1.2 so not sure that reverting back to 3.1.2 will help as I have the same problems. It also appears that 3.1.3. will exacerbate the problem. Sounds like its time to harass Apples Support staff and developers to get a proper resolution to this issue as this problem is starting to really irritate.

I use a Netgear WNDR3700 wifi router at home. It has support for all bands. At work I use a Belkin router (exact model not remembered) I see the same problems. At my mates house with another Netgear router (DG834G) I see the same problem.

Until the last few weeks I can't say I've had any problems with WiFi on my 12 month old iPhone 3G (firmware 3.1.2 (7D11). However, these last few weeks this phone just can't stay connected to WiFi networks for any great period of time; sometimes minutes, sometimes seconds.

I've tried manually adding wifi networks following hints from other users on the forums, but this doesn't work reliably.

I've now done a full reset of the network element based on advice in Apple's own iPhone WiFi troubleshooter. I'll see how that goes. http://www.apple.com/support/iphone/assistant/wifi/#section_5

I don't believe this issue will be resolved without Apple's action, so come on Apple please help us. We love our iPhones, just don't like to see issues with them!

Feb 3, 2010 5:53 AM in response to Goaliegeek

Hi

I have the same problem. My iPod Touch connects to the WiFi-network but the connection is unstable and slow. My MacBook Pro runs on the same network and has no problems. This problem have been around since iPhone OS 3.x. Apparently it has something to do with the WiFi-router since it is not a problem on all WiFi-networks. The problem is just that most WiFi-routers doesn't allow much configuration of the WiFi-signal.

I hoped that Apple had fixed this problem in the 3.1.3 version. But they didn't. And it shouldn't even be hard since the WiFi-part of the 2.x version worked.

Feb 3, 2010 4:46 PM in response to Goaliegeek

I was having the same issue, my router was visible in the list and looked like it was connected, but 3G was still showing on the home screen. Changed from DHCP to Static and set my IP manually and it worked. And has been connected for the last hour with no drop outs. No idea why that's any different but if it helps someone then great 🙂

Feb 4, 2010 7:19 AM in response to Goaliegeek

Hi. There is most definitely a problem for a lot of us. It is of course not necessary for people to tell us they had no problem (nor is it helpful).

There is a lot of chatter on the internet about this with suggestions for people to clear network settings (working for only some). Others suggest the static IP solution. Some reset network settings only to be given a greyed out wifi switch. Soft resets are suggested too.

I suspect this is something Apple is working on frantically, the only question is will they tell us how they're getting on?

Wi-fi issues with new 3.1.3 update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.