Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

WPA2/Enterprise wireless connection

I am at college and the campus-wide wireless network is a WPA2/Enterprise network. It requires login credentials that are the same as the student logins to the school email and other things. My problem is that often times when I open my laptop and connect to this network it prompts me for a login. I have already put in the username and password and it has been stored in the WPA profile for this network. I have checked the profile and the option for always prompting for the password is not enabled. I am a bit hesitant to bring this to the school's help desk because last time i had a problem with connecting on the network they wanted me to reconfigure my whole computer. I have tried deleting the WPA profiles and making a new one and that did not seem to change anything. Is there anything I can do to make the login prompt go away and not bother me anymore?

MBP 2.53Ghz Unibody 4GB RAM, iPod Touch 16GB 1G, Mac OS X (10.6.2), Mac Developer

Posted on Feb 17, 2010 6:08 AM

35 replies

Apr 26, 2010 6:59 AM in response to a Mac user

I'm an IT administrator for a university and have been having this problem for several weeks as well on snow leopard machines. 10.6.3 does not fix it... It's a big problem when the whole appeal of using a wpa2 network to avoid logins every time, actually breaks and leaves the user disconnected. It's just not saving their password for the network and continually reverts to automatic.

Apr 26, 2010 7:34 AM in response to spiz

something I have noticed is that the WPA2/Enterprise network at my university seems to use a certificate that is not being registered as signed by a certificate authority. I had to press "trust" on it when I originally joined the network. Something else I have noticed is that Leopard noes not seem to have this issue, nor does my iPod touch. All other students here with macbook pros from the school are running 10.5, and they have no idea what I am talking about when I say I have to put a password in to connect to the network.

The prompt to rejoin the network happens most times when I reboot. only sometimes does it happen when I close my laptop and then open it again.

Apr 28, 2010 11:51 PM in response to a Mac user

I have the same problem too. At home it connects perfectly, but at work, it keeps prompting for userid/passwd. I have tried deleting the entries from Network Preferences & Keychain. But every day I'm having to delete and recreate the entries.

If I don't delete, then I find multiple entries of the same network under the Airport section in Network Preferences->Advanced.

Jul 21, 2010 4:25 PM in response to a Mac user

I still seem to be having this issue. I was about to start going through and trashing settings files to see if that helped.

The strange thing about all of this is that it doesn't seem to store the passwords in keychain when they're entered, though if I delete that and try setting things up again in the network under the Network preference pane from scratch it doesn't make a new entry for passwords entered after that point. I feel like this might be either that the preference pane doesn't have permission to save out settings appropriately and that it's silently failing.

This is quite irritating. So far I've mostly just ignored the issue and re-entered my password each time, but I just ran across another user complaining of the same, also, I believe, on 10.6.4.

WPA2/Enterprise wireless connection

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.