Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Move to Trash - This item will be deleted immediately?

Suddenly starting today I've started to get the message "this item will be deleted immediately" when I move anything from any folder to the trash.

Anyone know how to return to normal behavior and/or causes of the problem?

iMac 24", Mac OS X (10.6.2), Bluetooth keyboard and Magic Mouse

Posted on Mar 8, 2010 11:18 PM

19 replies

Mar 8, 2010 11:19 PM in response to lwd

Click on the item in the Finder's sidebar with the house icon and verify that you are able to write to this folder in the Ownership & Permissions section of the Get Info window, and that it isn't locked; if it is already set this way and you get that error, open the Terminal in the /Applications/Utilities/ folder and run the following:

mkdir ~/.Trash

If you get a message stating that the folder exists, run the following:

sudo chown $UID ~/.Trash
chmod u+rwx ~/.Trash

The first command in the second set will prompt you for your administrator password; nothing will appear in the Terminal window while it is being typed. In either case, click on the Finder icon in the Dock with the Control and Option keys pressed, and relaunch it.

(50715)

Sep 16, 2010 5:33 AM in response to Brad Crews

i don't have a master password for my system

Are you referring to the true "master password" that you establish in addition to your account password when you set up a FileVault account, or do you mean that your regular admin account does not have a password? If the latter, see:
*Mac OS X v10.5, 10.6: sudo command requires a non-blank admin password*
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4103?viewlocale=en_US

Sep 16, 2010 6:00 AM in response to jsd2

i have never set any passwords at all for my computer and i am the original owner. however, i figured out that sudo doesn't work without a password, so i went to my users account and set a password for myself so i could use it in terminal. however, now terminal doesn't work. when i open it, it remains stuck on the login screen. so now i'm trying to figure out how to get terminal to work again...

Move to Trash - This item will be deleted immediately?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.