Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mail Messages Suddenly Blank!

New messages display properly, but about 1 hour ago for no reason my older messages are just showing up as blank. It's almost as if it can't find where they are whats happened? When I double click the message just BLANK!!

Screen Shots Here

http://windmachine.biz/wp-content/themes/Windmachine/lewsfiles/1.png

http://windmachine.biz/wp-content/themes/Windmachine/lewsfiles/2.png

Macbook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.2), I LOVE MY MAC

Posted on Mar 11, 2010 5:52 AM

100 replies

Mar 11, 2010 6:12 AM in response to thomas_r.

Mailbox Rebuild just wiped everything other then the last 4 emails I got after the problem. OH GOD

HOWEVER I just logged in to my hosting online went to the mail section and I could see all the emails. Must be a mail thing I can't understand why its behaving this way. Its the same in my Sent folder too.

Message was edited by: Lewis-

Message was edited by: Lewis-

Mar 23, 2010 4:44 AM in response to Lewis-

I also have this issue, suddenly noticed loads of sent messages were blank!! then noticed loads of old inbox messages are too. Did the rebuild but that wipes all the blank ones away... Even if I re-add the account and download them from the server that won't bring back the sent messages,.. plus this just shouldn't happen on my shiny new macbook pro & snow leopard should it!

Jul 6, 2010 8:05 PM in response to Lewis-

I'm having same problem, same symptoms. (In fact, I hadn't noticed my Sent items were also missing from a POP account until I checked following your comment.)

Attempting to rebuild mailboxes as suggested by someone here did not work--it erased all mention of emails older than yesterday.

I'm attempting to restore from backup, but it's a month old. I will have lost at least a month's worth of email.

Jul 30, 2010 10:13 AM in response to Lewis-

I, too, have found myself with the same issue. Note than the blank eMails are still in their respective folders within the Mail folder in the user Library. If I search for something, they still show up in spotlight, and if I double click any of them they open in Mail with full content. I can then move them into a folder and they work fine, but I have thousands of them and i don't know how to get them to recover! I've tried the rebuild as well with no success.

Aug 31, 2010 10:34 AM in response to maxperts

maxperts experience exactly reflects mine. Rebuild makes the emails seemingly disappear completely from Mail, though they are findable with Spotlight. I've not seen it happen to emails that I've filed into folders, only those left in the Sent box. This is a potentially disastrous bug, we need to be able to find our sent mail - that's the point in having the database!

Aug 31, 2010 12:59 PM in response to Lewis-

This started after the 10.6.4 update that occurred last Tuesday for most of us. It seems to effect Exchange types of email accounts the most. I have switched and set my Exchange 2007 account as an Exchange IMAP account and while the syncing up and down doesn't work perfect it is working and functional again as a mail client. I spent forever on the phone with Apple Care and didn't receive any solutions except to check back with someone next week and see if something can be found. I didn't change anything except running the update from apple. My machine is pretty much stock with no ad in's or custom scripts running. I feel there are a lot more people out there with this issue then Apple realizes. FYI my Exchange account works fine in Entourage, but I can't stand to use that program.

Aug 31, 2010 3:05 PM in response to blaguire

The same thing is happening to me and I just got my macbook pro. I did a few updates it told me to do and then the mail started showing blank messages. I hope they fix this really soon because I prefer to use mail versus going to my optimum homepage which is a pain. If anyone finds out anything helpful regarding this issues I would appreciate the knowledge! 🙂

Aug 31, 2010 3:26 PM in response to Lewis-

This problem is most probably related to indexing messages and you can simply solve it by following these steps :

(1) Quit Mail if it's already open

(2) Copy your ~/Library/Mail folder to your desktop as a backup incase something goes wrong

(3) Trash or move to desktop that file ~/Library/Mail/Envelope Index

(4) Open Mail and you will be presented with a Mail Message Import message, click continue and let it do what it has to to

That would simply import and reindex all mail messages rebuilding the database, Envelope Index is a SQLite database that stores key information about your emails. Over time it can get corrupted in a way that wouldn't knock out your Mail application. Furthermore, that should speed you your Mail application and dramatically reduce your emails size. I hopt that will solve your issue

Mail Messages Suddenly Blank!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.