Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Google Search- How to turn off search suggestions

Hi,

Is there a way to "turn off" "search suggestions" in the search field. As I find it quite annoying when I type then move the mouse and something else gets selected other than what I typed.

Thanks

Safari 4.05

Mac Mini 1.42 / iMac's C2D 2.66Ghz / G5 Duel 2Ghz / G4 PM's, Mac OS X (10.5.8), 10.5 on G5 and iMacs

Posted on Mar 24, 2010 5:37 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 24, 2010 5:45 PM

Hi Bill,

Try here. http://www.mydigitallife.info/2008/09/13/disable-google-suggest-in-the-search-bo x/

Carolyn 🙂
19 replies

Mar 24, 2010 7:13 PM in response to Bill Burkhardt

I'm running Snow Leopard, 10.6.2 maybe that's the difference... argh!

Ok.. if I come across a fix we haven't tried, I'll post and hopefully someone else will have an answer.

Might you have a Safari 3rd party plugin or add-on? Go here for trouble shooting 3rd party plugins or input managers which might be causing the problem.

Safari: Add-ons may cause Safari to unexpectedly quit or *have performance issues*

🙂

Mar 27, 2010 12:41 PM in response to Bill Burkhardt

Hi Bill

Easiest way to eliminate the Google "help" search prompts is to install 3rd party freeware Glims. Latest version build is available here.

Once installed you'll find Glims as a separate panel in your Safari Preferences. If it doesn't appear in the panel list, click on the right pointing arrows at the end of the Preference Panels.

Glims provides a number of very useful features for Safari. Specific to your needs, go to Glims' search suggestions sub-panel. There, you can deselect the "auto complete phrase in the search field". Additionally, Glims provides a very helpful search drop down panel for quick access to searches.

There's more to discover with Glims. Clicking on the various sub-panels will reveal other features, including specific search engine options.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Google Search- How to turn off search suggestions

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.