Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iTunes Password Input keeps popping up

I keep seeing a pop-up asking me for my iTunes password.

Anybody else have this problem or know why this would happen?

Posted on Apr 5, 2010 8:55 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 28, 2017 10:22 PM

Got an iPh 7 a few days ago, and now this irritating pop-up message from iTunes or iCloud or iTunes store asking me to log-in every second I cannot use my phone as I cannot do anything except cancel that message.

After reading various blogs and posts, and rebooting, restarting, signing in and out of iTunes and creating new accounts and all that, I realised the message pop ups only happened when I restored my phone from a previous back up (which did NOT have the problem). It did not happen when I set my phone as a NEW phone.

That was no good to me as I needed all my contacts etc.

Finally today, a solution (fingers crossed but that annoying message hasn't appeared in 2 hours):

Settings > General > Reset > Reset All Settings (the very top option).

I do not know if resetting network options etc will work but I wasn't willing to take the risk anymore.

I lost my settings for alarms, ring tones, etc, but I still have all my messages, contacts, photos, apps and all.

I know some fixes help only some gadgets. This (hopefully) worked for mine.

28 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 28, 2017 10:22 PM in response to philipkd

Got an iPh 7 a few days ago, and now this irritating pop-up message from iTunes or iCloud or iTunes store asking me to log-in every second I cannot use my phone as I cannot do anything except cancel that message.

After reading various blogs and posts, and rebooting, restarting, signing in and out of iTunes and creating new accounts and all that, I realised the message pop ups only happened when I restored my phone from a previous back up (which did NOT have the problem). It did not happen when I set my phone as a NEW phone.

That was no good to me as I needed all my contacts etc.

Finally today, a solution (fingers crossed but that annoying message hasn't appeared in 2 hours):

Settings > General > Reset > Reset All Settings (the very top option).

I do not know if resetting network options etc will work but I wasn't willing to take the risk anymore.

I lost my settings for alarms, ring tones, etc, but I still have all my messages, contacts, photos, apps and all.

I know some fixes help only some gadgets. This (hopefully) worked for mine.

Apr 5, 2010 9:12 PM in response to philipkd

philipkd wrote:
I keep seeing a pop-up asking me for my iTunes password.

Anybody else have this problem or know why this would happen?

Security. If someone steals your iPad or iPhone, you don't want them buying several hundred dollars in songs.

Usually, you don't have to input a new password, as long you have one continuous session on your iPad.

I hope this helps out.

Apr 5, 2010 10:30 PM in response to OrangeMarlin

I understand the security-aspect, where if you go into iTunes and are buying something, but you're in a different session, it asks for your password. That's good, and that's the way the iPhone works.

But with the iPad, I'm on my home screen, or in Safari, or whatever, and wham, I get a random pop-up that asks me for my iTunes password. I have no idea what that's about, and it's not related to any purchases or anything I'm initiating.

Apr 6, 2010 12:06 AM in response to philipkd

I asked the same questions yesterday, but at the time I found it limited to the iBooks. It seems the problem has become quite universal, and the iPad requests a password most of the time when you turn it on (any app, and most irritatingly, at the most random and inopportune times). There's no question in my mind that this is a bug. If someone has a workaround, it would be particularly helpful.

Appreciated,
Jesus

Apr 6, 2010 9:11 AM in response to Johnathan Burger

I think I figured out the problem. I had some songs that I purchased, that were downloading, but I had paused them while they were downloading. And I left them that way since day One.

After syncing (which led to the full downloading of all my stuff), I haven't noticed any errant iTunes pop-ups for the last 30 minutes.

I'll reply back if this wasn't a permanent fix.

Apr 6, 2010 2:38 PM in response to philipkd

This happens on my iPad every time I wake it up after not using it for a while AND while I am using it. I had to type it in immediately upon waking my iPad up, when in accessed iBooks, when I accessed iTunes, when I accessed the App store, and once while I was just browsing the web.

It is an extremely annoying issue that I hope they fix asap.

Apr 7, 2010 9:05 PM in response to philipkd

I'm also experiencing this, however I can't seem to see any sort of pattern or correlation with how I'm using my iPad. I might be browsing with Safari, reading something in Instapaper, reading Twitteriffic, etc. Sometimes it appears when I launch an app, other time it appears a few minutes into a session. Its pretty annoying. Here's hoping its fixed soon..

Apr 8, 2010 8:01 PM in response to philipkd

It just happened to me for the first time today. Kept coming up, then came up when I turned it on.

I went to the App Store app and it came up as soon as the app started. So I filled in my password and pressed OK, then I made sure the search window was blanked out (clicked the x), then I put the store in "the Featured" section then exited the store app. I then flipped through all app windows (to make sure that no app had been paused during a download) and after that it hasn't happened again. Don't know which part of the above actually did the trick.

iTunes Password Input keeps popping up

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.