Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Outline Text?

Can you outline text in Pages?

PowerMac G5/AppleTV/iPhone 3GS, Mac OS X (10.5.7), 2 ghz/4 gb of RAM

Posted on Apr 12, 2010 7:20 AM

17 replies

Apr 12, 2010 10:10 AM in response to Greg Vrchoticky

You can achieve outline text by Format > Font > Outline, but the text will be transparent.

To fill text with color, gradient, or image – with or without outline

In Pages, create text. Large and heavy. (About 72 pt.) Then: Print > Open PDF in Preview. Crop. (Not too tightly.) Save as PNG.(To Desktop.) Drag PNG into Pages. (Text is now an object.)
Insert square shape. Drag and re-shape so that it is slightly larger than text. Then: Graphic Inspector > Fill > Color or Gradient or image.
Drag shape or image to cover text, send backward behind text (If edge of fill color shows, select and reduce size.). Select text. Select Instant Aplha. Click inside each letter.
To make text background transparent, Select All > Group, then Print > Open PDF in Preview. Crop. Save as PNG.(To Desktop.) Drag PNG into Pages. Apply Instant Alpha outside text.
For an outline or shadow, apply Stroke and/or Shadow at this point. (Use Graphic Inspector.)
Select text and drag corner to enlarge or reduce. To change only height or width: Metrics Inspector > uncheck Constrain proportions.

! User uploaded file!

Walt

Apr 24, 2010 12:46 AM in response to Walt K

Thanks for this, I have been trying to work this out for about an hour this morning.

However, as a very amateur graphic designer, having worked with adobe illustrator and indesign, I think that the lack of a text stroke option is bad. I am a very recent convert to the mac (1 week) and I am loving it, but small frustrations like this are bugging me. I can do this using indesign or ms word in seconds just by selecting an menu option or toolbar button an a palette.

Another problem with the method that you gave is that the text is no longer editable.

cheers anyhoo!

scottyc

Apr 24, 2010 8:37 AM in response to the1scottyc

Scotty,

Welcome to Apple Discussions

I don’t disagree with anything you said. However, if you want anything to change you must take your suggestions to Apple. We’re only users here. Click on the Pages menu and you’ll find an option to provide feedback to Apple.

In the meantime, you can use Art Text for a simpler and faster method. But that doesn’t remain editable either, unless you save it and go back to it to edit.

Walt

Apr 25, 2010 8:11 PM in response to the1scottyc

Hi the1scottyc

Welcome to the Forum. 🙂

Whilst Pages will not do a true stroke or outline of text, Indesign, Illustrator, and many other programs that do this, are available on the Mac. It is not a shortcoming of the Mac.

Look here for alternative software:

http://www.freeforum101.com/iworktipsntrick/viewtopic.php?t=71&mforum=iworktipsn trick

Peter

Apr 28, 2010 12:50 AM in response to PeterBreis0807

PeterBreis0807 wrote:
Hi the1scottyc

Welcome to the Forum. 🙂

Whilst Pages will not do a true stroke or outline of text, Indesign, Illustrator, and many other programs that do this, are available on the Mac. It is not a shortcoming of the Mac.

Look here for alternative software:

http://www.freeforum101.com/iworktipsntrick/viewtopic.php?t=71&mforum=iworktipsn trick

Peter

Hi Peter

I realise that, and I am really enjoying my new mac. I just think that this task is probably something that a lot of people like to do, especially children who make posters for homework etc. I just assumed that most software did this with relative ease nowadays.

thanks

Scottyc

Apr 28, 2010 6:02 AM in response to the1scottyc

the1scottyc wrote:

I realise that, and I am really enjoying my new mac. I just think that this task is probably something that a lot of people like to do, especially children who make posters for homework etc. I just assumed that most software did this with relative ease nowadays.

Some programs do it with ease but you have to have several programs. Pages doesn't do it with ease but ArtText 2 might do it. Learn to use several programs along each other.

Apr 30, 2010 5:01 PM in response to Greg Vrchoticky

I do this regularly.. I read all the replies, and one comes close. Here's what I do

- enter my text on a pages layout page
- select a thick font and make it as large as possible on the page.. black color
- create a box shape. leave green, size to the full page and then Arrange>send backward
- you now have a green screen with large black text
- file>print>PDF>Save PDF to iPhoto. this makes a high res copy in iPhoto in a new "ALBUM"
- delete everything on the screen
- open Media Browser>Photos>Album and drag in your high res copy.. this is a FLATTENED version
- as the other post suggested, drag in other artwork or create a gradient fill with colors of your choice
- push this object backward
- use Instant Alpha on the black text, which allows the artwork to shine through the letters
- FLATTEN this with the file>print>pdf to iphoto trick
- delete everything on the page, drag in the new flattened doc back in, resize
- click on the GREEN. choose instant alpha and make the GREEN transparent
- NOW the outline! highlight the letters. Graphic Inspector>Stroke>Line of any color!
- and you can also add a SHADOW - I've gotten away from the Blur, take it down to 1

A couple of extra steps but it's worth it - the resulting graphic can be save and resized anywhere as a logo

Apr 30, 2010 8:11 PM in response to PeterBreis0807

Unfortunately this is convoluted, clumsy, offers limited control and results in a graphic with rough edges.

Turning the text into a bitmap is pointless, better to turn it into a vector pdf.

I have noticed NO 'rough edges' in any of the graphic/text I've created.. and I find it handier to store the intermediary files in iPhoto than dumping them on my desktop. I will try a few all-PDF projects but predict there will be no difference at screen or even print resolution.

As for convoluted and clumsy, please supply a method which uses fewer steps but still allows the text - with content other than simple color - to be outlined as the OP requested.

May 2, 2010 12:20 AM in response to PeterBreis0807

Some great ideas here - Peter - this is the method I have been using with illustrator. Incidentally, still being a very new mac user, do apple read these forums at all to garner ideas of what people want in future releases? I really think an option pages shouldn't be that difficult to implement, although I suppose there are easy enough work arounds.

cheers

scottyc

Outline Text?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.