Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Question:

Question: iphone making random calls

My iphone is making repeated calls to people in my address book. This is not pocket dialing. Today I left the phone on a window sill and it made multiple calls (10 or more to some contacts) to multiple contacts in a 20 minute period. Also does this while in the lock mode.

Has anyone else seen this and found a solution?

Thanks

3gs, iPhone OS 3.1.3

Posted on Apr 20, 2010 6:37 PM

Question marked as Helpful

Jan 9, 2016 3:04 PM in response to macnovice1 In response to macnovice1

MY iphone 5s is doing the same thing EXCEPT to numbers NOT in my address book or on my call log!! I've been getting a lot of calls from unfamiliar numbers, and now I wonder if they are all people who are returning calls from my phone. I've noticed too that my battery isn't holding up the way it used to. Are these indications that my phone has been hacked?

Jan 9, 2016 3:04 PM

Jan 25, 2016 6:33 PM in response to Camila the Hun In response to Camila the Hun

I have been having the exact same issue with my 5s running 9.2.1. The calls from unfamiliar numbers have increased within the past few weeks, and I only found out what was happening because someone left me a message saying they'd gotten a call from my number. No outgoing calls, never called that number before. But my battery is also getting really bad. I thought it was just age, or leaving it connected to a charger all the time (which I've stopped doing), but now that you mention it this seems like it could be related.

Not sure if it is relevant, but more often than not (and almost exclusively within the past month), the unfamiliar missed calls all have the same area code and first 3 digits as my number... seems like this can't be a coincidence. Would love to be able to stop this.

Jan 25, 2016 6:33 PM

Jan 6, 2014 8:31 AM in response to macnovice1 In response to macnovice1

This has been happening to me as well. Calling random numbers not in my contacts and they don't show up in my outgoing call logs. I have an iphone 5, OS 7.0.4....only reason I know it happening is because these people I have no idea who are call me back! So has anyone really figured out a solution?

Jan 6, 2014 8:31 AM

Nov 18, 2015 6:03 PM in response to jdeca In response to jdeca

It seems like there are actually a number of issues, or at least multiple ways the issue appears:

* Some phones are repeatedly redialing the last called number

* Some are dialing a random number from the recent calls list

* Some are not seeing evidence of a call on their phone, but are being told they have called someone (sounds like spoofing to me).

* Some, like mine, only called one time, to a number not in my contacts and that I do not believe I have had previous contact with.

I have an iphone 5s running ios 8.1.3. I woke up this morning and saw on my home screen what looked like a missed call from my own number, but in the recent calls list it turned out to be an outgoing call from my phone to a number I do not recognize that was cancelled before the call connected. I should add that it was not a random group of numbers, but a legitimate phone number in my country (I have not called to see who it is). I did not make any calls prior. This happened while the phone was charging next to my bed with a (presumably) authentic apple charger (an older model).

While these may all be related, it seems to me that there might be far different circumstances for the different versions of this issue, and any one simple solution is not going to apply across the board. And the more I think about it, the less convinced I am that this could be an accident.

[Edited to add clarity]

Nov 18, 2015 6:03 PM

Sep 12, 2015 10:16 AM in response to macnovice1 In response to macnovice1

Wow. I never heard of this, until it happened to me last night, and then I started researching the issue today.

My iPhone 5S, running iOS 8.4.1, was sitting on my nightstand, locked, plugged into a charger. Bluetooth is off, because I don't use it. I heard a voice, so I got up to look out the window. Then I heard another voice, and realized it was my phone. It was calling two numbers from my recents list. I kept hanging up, but it would dial again a few seconds later. Then it went to the Home screen, then to Search. I waited to see if something would be entered into the search field, but it didn't. But then it started launching apps, like NFL. I powered down the phone, so I could go to sleep.

I have powered on the phone, and used it, this morning. But the problem has not reoccurred yet.

Reading through this years-long thread, I see the same symptoms have persisted for all these years. I propose that at least the majority of 'solutions' posted here have nothing to do with the problem. Many times, it is coincidence when you take an action and then the problem stops. This is not a hardware button problem, or a voice activation problem, or a Bluetooth pairing problem. This is most likely a virus installed with a recently installed app, or some malicious service on the Internet spoofing our phone numbers.

I will continue researching, to see what has been figured out.

Sep 12, 2015 10:16 AM

Dec 5, 2013 10:49 AM in response to macnovice1 In response to macnovice1

My phone has been making and receiving unexpected FaceTime calls for the past several weeks. My phone will be sitting on a table, or wherever, when I receive a call from one of my contacts. "So-and-so would like to FaceTime." If I decline the call, the person calls me back asking why I called. I swear I didn't call, but phone records on both devices show otherwise. I haven't found many answers to this issue. iPhone 5 running iOS7.

Dec 5, 2013 10:49 AM

Apr 20, 2010 6:41 PM in response to macnovice1 In response to macnovice1

This has happened to me twice and been reported by others a few times. I've never seen a solution. You can try a Reset or Restore and/or maybe a new SIM. As I said, mine did it twice but never again and I didn't do anything other than a Reset.

http://manuals.info.apple.com/enUS/iPhone_UserGuide.pdf

Apr 20, 2010 6:41 PM

Nov 21, 2013 12:03 PM in response to Leveneficus In response to Leveneficus

I think I found the problem. First off, I rarely use bluetooth headset with this particular AT&T phone. But though none active, I have several paired up with it. Last night while the random calls were happening, I deleted all recent calls from the phone except my home phone number. I turned off the phone went to bed. I turned on the phone in the morning, sure enough within 5 minutes it started calling my home phone. I look at the iPhone, it showed no bluetooth connection icon, while I was looking at it, it made another call to my home phone while the previous call is still active. While I was fussing with the iPhone to figure out what's wrong, I received a call, while I was on the call, the iPhone put that call on hold and started calling my home phone again. While it was doing all that, it revealed that there is a Bluetooth connection with a VOX headset. I gathered all my Bluetooth headsets both from the house and from the car, all of them were either dead (no battery juice) or completely off. So, for some strange reason iPhone thought that I was connected to a Bluetooth headset that is not even on, and not only that it thought I was actually pressing the dial button on that ghost Bluetooth headset. In order to be 100% sure that the issues are not caused by an actual headset, I looked at my other iPhone to see if I ever paired this VOX headset with it. As it turns out that I had, so I tried to connect to the VOX headset with no avail. So, I am sure that the iPhone was connecting to a ghost headset.

How I solved it: I removed all paired Bluetooth devices from the affected iPhone. That’s it. Hope this would help someone.

Nov 21, 2013 12:03 PM

Feb 25, 2016 2:08 PM in response to Camila the Hun In response to Camila the Hun

After researching this problem and/or similar problems all involving iPhone 5's , 4's and 6's too, I'm convinced that this is a REAL issue and not something that Apple should be ignoring. Some forums actually have belittled people when they were describing their problems with the random unattended calling from a locked iPhone. Apple simply denies there is a problem despite the fact that there was a known bug in a previous iOS (7?) that allowed calls to be made from a locked phone. Apple rarely admits to causing problems or making mistakes...

In my case, I received a bill from AT&T which showed a HUGE charge that indicated I was over my limit by about 1300 minutes - @ $00.45 per minute. Yes - it was a 585$ bill. I discovered that my phone (Not ME) had dialed a random number and maintained the connection to that number for several hours. This number was called once a day for 4 consecutive days, the longest call lasting over 7 hours. I KNEW I never made those calls, but unlike other descriptions, my device DID reflect those outgoing calls. I don't think my phone would have lasted 5 consecutive hours let alone 7+. SO I disputed the charges, but it's tough to prove those calls weren't made intentionally when your device is showing the outgoing calls. The number was a Business Communications company and when I called the number from a different phone, I was prompted for a pin number to connect. AT&T basically explained to me that they were going to refund the charges, but it was clear they were doing me a huge favor by doing so. My phone has not made any unattended calls since those days in January, but now I'm paranoid as heck that it will happen again. I'm going to back up my phone and do a reset.....I can't think of any other way to really wipe it clean, despite the work it is going to be to re-install the essential applications. This time, to be safe, I'm only going to install the apps I need - I'll forget about the toys and games for now....I'm due for an iOS upgrade so I'll do that too....I just hope something like this will never happen again. Good Luck!

Feb 25, 2016 2:08 PM

Feb 3, 2016 4:44 PM in response to mauh In response to mauh

I've just had something very similar happen to me but I'm not sure if this is the same issue.

I was heading for bed when I saw my iPad light up and my friend was calling me. My iPhone and iPad are linked so I pulled out my phone to answer the call only to realise that my phone wasn't ringing????

I was already confused as it was late and I knew my friend had gone to bed a good while ago. Anyway I then went to answer my iPad which only then tried to connect to my phone to relay the call, which unsurprising failed...

So I rang back my friend and after waking her up and explaining, she was both confused and terrified that someone was in her room using her phone or iPad.

The strange thing is there is no record of the call on any of our devices and it definitely wasn't her iPad directly ringing mine as hers was turned off.

It must have been some sort of technical fault with my phone, it's interesting people are mentioning viruses as I always thought that kind of thing was impossible on Apple devices.I t's quite funny looking back at it but it freaked the **** out of us both at the time and we're struggling for an explanation.

Feb 3, 2016 4:44 PM

There’s more to the conversation

Read all replies

Apr 20, 2010 6:41 PM in response to macnovice1 In response to macnovice1

This has happened to me twice and been reported by others a few times. I've never seen a solution. You can try a Reset or Restore and/or maybe a new SIM. As I said, mine did it twice but never again and I didn't do anything other than a Reset.

http://manuals.info.apple.com/enUS/iPhone_UserGuide.pdf

Apr 20, 2010 6:41 PM

Reply Helpful (11)

Jun 18, 2010 12:38 PM in response to macnovice1 In response to macnovice1

I just recently purchased an iPhone and this started happening to me today. The phone was sitting on my desk, I glanced down and it was calling someone. It has since called that same person almost 10 times.

I did some checking on the Net and have found other reports of this as well and then I found this article. This article is a wake up call! No pun intended. Bottom line is the iPhone (as well as other smart phones) is like a mini computer but without the anti-virus software and this may be a virus on our phones.

The scary part is this could be used to dial a pay service such as a sex line and guess who will get stuck with the bill?!! So the people making the virus could also be the owners of the sex lines thus that is how they are making money off of each one of us.

In another forum one user mentioned she was on a call with a friend, unknown to her, the phone called someone else and the voice mail picked up. She knew the person and found out the voice mail was recording her conversation with the original caller and they did not even know this was happening.

Scary stuff. So now we need to find and purchase anti-virus software for our phones - another $100.

I don't like it.

http://www.articlesbase.com/cell-phones-articles/virus-makes-call-by-itself-on-c ellphones-a-new-wave-of-attacks-to-come-1481784.html

Jun 18, 2010 12:38 PM

Reply Helpful

Jul 22, 2010 8:09 AM in response to macnovice1 In response to macnovice1

It happens to me but only to the last person called (incoming or outgoing). It normally happens when I lay it flat on my desk (which is metal). It also happens when I just finished a call and I just leave the phone on it randomly calls but it calls as a blocked number

Jul 22, 2010 8:09 AM

Reply Helpful

Jul 31, 2010 8:18 PM in response to Jisatsu6189 In response to Jisatsu6189

Same thing has been occurring on my 3GS, usu. after I finish a call. I'll put the phone down, or in my pocket, then I pick it up a few minutes later and it has called some number on my recent calls list, sometimes 4 or 5 times, figured it was me accidentally forgetting to lock the screen, but just happened a few minutes ago and all I had done, was set the phone down. The post above about the virus is really quite disturbing, I'm glad I checked this thread out. Thanks

Jul 31, 2010 8:18 PM

Reply Helpful

Aug 27, 2010 2:04 PM in response to jdubba In response to jdubba

Just to report the same problem, in my case, the phone seems to call when I hang up from a previous conversation. The iPhone calls random numbers in my address book, some of whom I don't even call but maybe text once in a while, it cannot be a user error. It has happened 3 times in a few months (that I noticed anyway), I wasn't happy when it decided to called my cousin's mobile in a foreign country, of course it went to her voicemail and lasted forever.
It happened again today, just after I called my boyfriend, I still had the phone in my hand when I saw the call being made on the screen to another friend I hadn't spoken to for 2 weeks. At first I thought it was an incoming call but realised it was the iPhone calling out by itself, and the call history confirmed this. Very annoying.

Aug 27, 2010 2:04 PM

Reply Helpful

Sep 17, 2010 6:16 AM in response to Roger Faust In response to Roger Faust

My wife's iPhone 4 with the latest iOS (4.1) just started doing this yesterday. It was on a stereo dock and was paired with a bluetooth headset, but she didn't press anything. It just made a call on its own. This is very disturbing since it was very late at night. I hope Apple can address this issue and offer a solution.

Sep 17, 2010 6:16 AM

Reply Helpful

Sep 18, 2010 11:10 PM in response to macnovice1 In response to macnovice1

The issue that I'm having is similar to this one also. I had had no issues to my phone before 4.1 update. After the 4.1 update, my phone started to call the last number in the recent call list. If I left my phone in my pocket, it will do this 8-10 times a minute, most of the calls showed up as canceled, but some of them actually connected. I had one case, where in the matter of 10 minutes, called the same number 75 times...This is so completely annoying and no way to go back to 4.02...My only work around right now is to always clear my recent call list after every call I make...Hope this gets fixed soon, as I seems completely software related...

Sep 18, 2010 11:10 PM

Reply Helpful

Sep 28, 2010 7:49 PM in response to macnovice1 In response to macnovice1

Same issue with iphone G3 running system 4.0. The last call was made to a number that has never been in my address book - I received a call from it just once, several weeks ago, that call wasn't even listed in the "recents". Not a chance that I could press any button by accident - the phone was locked.

Apple Support suggested "restoring as new" through iTunes and call again if the calls keep happen.

Sep 28, 2010 7:49 PM

Reply Helpful

Oct 4, 2010 5:41 PM in response to macnovice1 In response to macnovice1

my phone seems to call the last person on my "recent" list.

could be embarrassing. yesterday a friend told me he had a voicemail from me and it was me putting talking to my son while we put the baby in the car. my friend said he wasn't paying attention to the message (couldn't tell who it was from) until his name came up and he heard me apologize to my son for being late b/c my phone had called my friend on its own and i didn't want to be rude and hang up on him. luckily, i think that is all i said.

but geez!

this is AWFUL!

Oct 4, 2010 5:41 PM

Reply Helpful

Oct 15, 2010 3:47 PM in response to macnovice1 In response to macnovice1

My iPhone 3g with the latest 4.1 iOS began dialing out all by itself out of the blue last night - it was sitting on the desk in standby mode and had not been touched in a couple of hours, and the last sync / software update was 1-2 days earlier. It repeatedly called the last number in my recents (who happened to be a sensitive business contact), minutes or seconds apart. I did the 2-button reset, and called my own land line. It then started repeatedly calling that number all by itself, much more quickly seconds apart.

This was a very disturbing and serious problem. I called AT&T 611, spent 20 fruitless minutes with a rep who said he was new and connected me to a tech support line that answered it was off hours. I then drove 10 miles to the nearest AT&T store, where the rep was not sympathetic or concerned at all, and just demanded repeatedly if I had Applecare, and if not then it was my problem to replace the phone, and claimed I would get the same message from Apple. I then drove to the Apple store where it was nearly closing time and of course you had to have a Genius bar appointment, which couldn't be had until the following afternoon. Neither AT&T or Apple had heard of the problem before. The Apple Store greeter suggested restoring the phone. Both Apple & AT&T said it was unlikely to be due to the SIM card in any way. Both Apple and AT&T reps did the 2-button reset again, and the Apple rep tried turning off the TTY on a hunch - all to no avail.

The phone continued repeatedly & randomly call both the last 2 dialed numbers, anywhere from seconds to more than 1/2 hour apart. This finally stopped after I did the iOS restore. Total elapsed problem window, about 5 hours. It has been 20 hours now since the restore with no recurrence.

I dearly hope it never happens again. I've had the phone since it released in 2006, and NEVER had any problem like this - it's not only embarrassing but really very scary - this is my primary communications device.

There was no timely support available with either Apple or AT&T. The Apple rep was at least more polite, and admitted that even if I had bought Applecare as the AT&T asserted I should have, it would (a) not have gotten me official support help any sooner in this situation, and (b) since the phone is over 3 years old Applecare would have been expired anyway!

I wish there was official Apple recognition & guidance somewhere on the web for this kind of thing (is there?). The only suggestion/solution I know of - to restore the iOS on the phone & hope!

Oct 15, 2010 3:47 PM

Reply Helpful

Dec 12, 2010 5:04 PM in response to macnovice1 In response to macnovice1

Has there been no reply to this issue? My phone has started dialing random number. The numbers are numbers I don't think I have ever called from my phone but they are in my 'contact list'. I would like to know what to do or how to fix it. It is rather annoying. I have had people call me and say why did you call me and not say anything. HELP ANYONE!

ps. I don't know what OS I have but I have a 3G phone that I have had for 11 months now.

Dec 12, 2010 5:04 PM

Reply Helpful

Dec 12, 2010 6:01 PM in response to macnovice1 In response to macnovice1

I am having the same problem on the iPhone 4. I noticed this right after updating to the 4.2.1 OS. It seems to be automatically turning on "Voice Control" at random times and then dialing whatever it thinks you said. This is happening when I have the phone in my coat pocket or just laying on the table nearby.

Dec 12, 2010 6:01 PM

Reply Helpful
User profile for user: macnovice1

Question: iphone making random calls