Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPad Camera Connection Kit: Raw Image and Flip Video

Hi
Now that the connection kit is shipping, perhaps someone can answer these questions. I want to use the iPad as a storage device for photos and (Flip) video when I travel to avoid carrying a laptop.

1) Can you view a raw image on the iPad that doesn't have a JPEG image paired with the raw image?

2) Can you then retrieve the raw image and copy to a computer in its original form?

3) Can you import, then retrieve Flip video files and copy to a computer in its original form?

Any other comments how useful the iPad will be for this purpose?

Thanks!

Dave

Message was edited by: David Strait

2009 MP 2.66 GHz 8 Core, 16 GB RAM, Radeon 4870, Mac OS X (10.6.3), 17" MacBook Pro I5

Posted on Apr 22, 2010 5:49 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 22, 2010 6:34 PM

I can answer the first one as I downloaded NEF (Nikon Raw) files this evening and they showed up fine on the iPad.

I am interested in the second question as well.

SD
26 replies

Apr 22, 2010 9:21 PM in response to David Strait

I've read that images synced from your computer to your iPad are compressed and the Raw files are not actually transferred to the iPad. I believe that if they are more than 3 megapixels, they will be shrunk to 3 megapixels internally on the iPad (this is still a lot more pixels than the iPad can display which allows zooming in). The compressed photos are about 1mb in size.

For me, this would be preferable (otherwise the photos could quickly fill up the iPad memory).

However, if you have the camera kit and transfer photos to the iPad, I would hope that these would be transferred untouched. Otherwise, the iPad is useless as a field backup.

Ron

Apr 22, 2010 9:31 PM in response to Shadow99999

I took some RAW files and uploaded them to the iPad. Native resolution 4000x3000 pixels and file size 14.6MB.

I then connected the iPad to my computer and opened Lightroom. I imported the files to lightroom (copy files to new location and import). When I check the finder the files show 4000x3000 and they are 14.6MB.

Note: iPhoto and Aperture also recognize the files for import.

Apr 23, 2010 12:57 PM in response to David Strait

Just to be clear...

To get images to the ipad:
You need to use one of the two camera connection kit dongles. I've used both. One with an SD card and the other connected to the camera. Both worked perfectly.

To move images off the iPad to a computer:
You do NOT need the camera connection kit. You use the regular USB iPad cable that came with your charger. Connect the iPad directly to the computer. This is exactly what you would do if you were synching your iPad or doing a firmware update. Instead of going into iTunes, open one of the photo apps. Start the input process as you would normally do from a card reader but the source of the files is the iPad. For example in Lightroom on the input pane you click where it shows the iPad and then the thumbnails will populate in the input pane.

Apr 23, 2010 10:57 PM in response to David M Brewer

Wow. That is a surprise and a disappointment. If I understand correctly, you didn't attempt to transfer the video from the Flip directly to the iPad with the camera connection kit, but by syncing with your computer. If Flip videos don't load on the iPad via the computer, there is no way you could hope to use the camera connection kit to transfer Flip videos!

I'm kind of amazed that Flip videos won't load at all!

Thanks,
Dave

Apr 24, 2010 7:58 AM in response to David M Brewer

David Brewer, can you please outline how you got 1080p movies on the ipad. Did you use the camera connection kit? Or sync with iTunes? Are these hollywood movies, or homemade movies? What camera are you using.

.Mov files from my 5D will not come across to ipad with sync or with CCK. Even 640x480 .mov will not come across. iPhone movies do play however.

Message was edited by: RussW

Apr 26, 2010 9:21 AM in response to teb

I know Teb said this, but it's a very, very crucial point and I just want to be extra clear that what I'm reading is correct. . .

I know that when you import RAW files to the iPad via itunes syncing it resizes them to a much smaller "iPad compatible" format JPEG. Correct? So the question becomes, does this downsampling process NOT TAKE PLACE when using the direct camera connection kit?

If I read your post correctly, Teb, you can take RAW files DIRECTLY to the iPad using the camera connection kit and then sync them OUT of the iPad directly into Lightroom (or Aperture, I'm hoping) and have them maintain as original sized RAW files. Is this right?

This is a very crucial point that so far nobody at Apple has been able to answer for me (not even waiting on hold for several minutes with AppleCare), and it definitely determines what size iPad I'd look to get.

Has anyone tried this with Canon CR2 files? I shoot a 5d mk II, no SD card - CompactFlash. So for an input I'd likely have to go directly from the camera line out, I'd imagine. Has anyone tried plugging a CF card reader into the USB port of the camera connection kit? Does this recognize? If so, does it have the same effect?

So. . . We can get RAW files into the iPad and then OUT of the iPad again as native, unfiddled with RAW files. . . . Right?

(Yes, I know I'm supposed to say "iPad", not "The iPad", but really. . . it just feels weird. It's not a proper name. It's not like Steve Jobs came on stage and said, "Now, introducing our new product line: Larry". . . .)

Thanks.

msg

iPad Camera Connection Kit: Raw Image and Flip Video

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.