Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Announcement

Introducing the iPad Pro with Apple M4 chip, the redesigned iPad Air in two sizes, and the all‑new Apple Pencil Pro. Watch the event >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cannot sync movies on Ipad

Folks,
Is anyone having issues syncing movies on the ipad. I have tried all options and my entire movie library refuses to move over to the iPAD. Is this a known bug or something that apple needs to fix. All my movies are syncing with my iphone and Apple TV without any issues.

Regards

MAcbook Pro

Posted on Apr 25, 2010 1:46 AM

51 replies

May 25, 2017 3:59 AM in response to parunkum

Hello all - first time I've ever contributed to a forum.

I had an infuriating issue when I attempted to Sync some M4V Movies to my iPad - I would tick the Checkbox in iTunes alongside the Movie I wanted and the storage space on my iPad didn't change.

I was ready to give up until I tried changing the value of the H.264 Level from 5 to 4. Happy days! The Movies in question Sync perfectly now. The H.264 Profile is set to High which is usually the default value.

Hope this helps someone out there.

Apr 26, 2010 3:26 PM in response to parunkum

is there some kind of error message? Is there an exclamation mark ⚠ next to the iPad in iTunes to show there's an alert?

What is the formatting of these movies? Have you tried to deauthorize/reauthorize in iTunes? Have you tried viewing movies or videos purchased off of iTunes, including the free tv shows or music videos? Have you tried downloading the content directly onto the iPad without going through iTunes?

Apr 26, 2010 8:35 PM in response to dlg_az

The same problem.

I have tried converting videos with the following specs:
(1) H.264, 1280*720, 3000 Kbps, 30 frames per second with AAC audio as 128 Kbps, 44.1kHz, 2 channels

(2) H.264, 640*480, 1500 Kbps, 29.97 frames per second with AAC audio as 128 Kbps, 32kHz, 2 channels

Please drop in my ticket and any advice will be appreciated
http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=2413260&tstart=0

Jun 18, 2010 7:03 AM in response to parunkum

I run into this same problem on occasion. For some reason iTunes thinks a movie isn't compatible with the iPad even though the movie IS compatible. Instead of letting the user override this and allow the movie to sync, Apple in their new "big brother" mode simply won't let you even try to play the file. Grrrrr....

However, if you know the movie format is fine (or just want to try it), you can add the movie to the iPad using Air Sharing HD (their may be other software which performs this same function). You can then play the movie directly in that app. Unfortunately, Air Sharing HD does not remember your location, so if you stop playing in the middle you will have to find your place again manually. This has allowed me to play a number of movies which are properly encoded but which iTunes refuses to sync to my iPad.

Hope that helps!

Jul 4, 2010 5:56 AM in response to Stefan1138

iTunes gives an option "Advanced -> Create iPad or Apple TV version"

I have just tried that with one movie I couldn't sync. After that, it could sync. However the file size doubled (??), so for me this is not a satisfactory solution (given that storage space on my iPad is somewhat limited).

Original movie (cannot sync with the iPad):
Kind: MPEG-4 video file
Size: 60.9 MB
Bitrate: 159 kbps

After converting (can sync with the iPad):
Kind: MPEG-4 video file
Size: 119.5 MB
Bitrate: 125 kbps

If someone has any insights that would be much appreciated

Jul 11, 2010 2:00 AM in response to Bob Worthingham

I've got a similar problem. I've just created some tutorial movies for a DVD I'm making. There are 22 movies, all the same format. (30fps, 1280 X 720 H.264) When I try to sync those with the iPad, only about half will sync, although I have plenty of space left on the iPad. (64GB model)

Since I know all movies are the same format, this is frustrating. Hope there's a fix soon.

Jul 31, 2010 11:29 PM in response to Mike James3

Again, I'd strongly urge you to run the videos you cannot get on the iPad through Handbrake with the Apple TV settings, then try to get them on the iPad. This works for me very time. BTW: I don't think it's a movie format issue, I suspect it has to do with the audio. Not sure what exactly it is, since I compress all of mine with the same preset in Compressor, so in theory, they should all be the same.

Cannot sync movies on Ipad

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.