Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPad Power Button No Longer Working

Hi all- I got my iPad (32Gb) on launch day and it has been a wonderful piece of tech to use- until today, when the iPad's power button simply stopped working. The iPad is still in mint condition, kept in a case, and handled like a gem- but pressing the black power button in the top right corner does not turn on/off the screen... it's as if the power button doesn't connect to circuitry at all. All the other buttons (home button, vol. rocker, screen lock) still work just fine.

Since the power button worked before, I wondered if it was a software problem and did a full system backup and restore- but, alas, even after the restore the power button simply doesn't do anything.

Has anyone else seen experienced this problem? I checked other online forums and it seems at least a handful of other users have also experienced this too- what to do? The nearest Apple store is a couple hours away, which is why I ordered the iPad to be shipped to me on launch day.

I appreciate any advice you may offer- thanks!

iPad, iPhone OS 3.1.3, Power Button

Posted on Apr 27, 2010 9:05 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 15, 2017 2:14 AM

I just had this issue a few minutes ago except my Ipad air was not working on both power button and home button so I had no way on swit on my iPad but I thought on how the iPad screen switches on if you plug it in I used hey Siri I told Siri to off my iPad but Siri can't do that sadly Apple better add that in. But for some reason I wanted to press both my power and home button hard although it wasn't working until i saw the apple symbol when the iPad restarts. It worked after that restart. SO JUST PRESS BOTH POWER AND HOME BUTTON IT MIGHT WORK.

EDIT: My power button was also not working.

50 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 15, 2017 2:14 AM in response to Axanite

I just had this issue a few minutes ago except my Ipad air was not working on both power button and home button so I had no way on swit on my iPad but I thought on how the iPad screen switches on if you plug it in I used hey Siri I told Siri to off my iPad but Siri can't do that sadly Apple better add that in. But for some reason I wanted to press both my power and home button hard although it wasn't working until i saw the apple symbol when the iPad restarts. It worked after that restart. SO JUST PRESS BOTH POWER AND HOME BUTTON IT MIGHT WORK.

EDIT: My power button was also not working.

Oct 7, 2017 8:02 AM in response to mikesaber

Your trick solved the problem!!! Thank you! My POWER button and HOME button both quick working at once. I thought perhaps the battery was dead, so I plugged my iPad Air in to recharge it. Ah, but the device came on and showed it was 63% charged!!! I could not press the Home button to log in, however, so there was nothing I could do, except now I had the knowledge that the device was charged and should be working. A Google search brought me to this forum, and your suggestion which solved my problem. It works!!!

Jul 19, 2010 6:25 AM in response to FXL

im having the exact same problem, so after reading several different troubleshooting Q&A's, i did the reset in the setting folder. now the ipad not only has a non working sleep/wake button, but it wont even load into the OS, it gets the apple icon screen, sits there for about 5 minutes and then restarts itself. it continues to do this until the battery is dead. im so dissapointed because it has not even been out of the box for 3 days, and has less than 2 hours of use on it. im going to the apple store this morning to have this problem fixed. im hoping to actually upgrade from the model i have to the next one up if they will let me pay the differance that is.

we shall see.

Sep 8, 2010 5:47 AM in response to Axanite

My power button has not worked since day one out-of-the-box on my brand new 64GB WiFi iPad. Had this new toy for about 10 days now and nobody can understand how a power button can miss quality assurance from the assembly factory. Have tried restoring, letting the battery run out, and all other sorts of combinations of button pressing and it simply does not work. I live in Europe and this was a gift bought in the US, so "taking to a mac store" is not an option. All of the resellers over here are giving me different stories about the best way to resolve. Any ideas? Just trying to avoid letting this thing out of my death grip cause other than the power button issue, it works fine - until i need to power down or reset 😉

Please, someone admit they had a similar issue?

Dan

Sep 8, 2010 9:36 AM in response to kelld00

Is there an Apple owned retail store or an authorised Apple service centre where you live ? I believe the iPad has an international warranty so at the very least you may be able to get it repaired if not replaced.

I'm not sure if you're in or fairly close to Amsterdam. Although I don't know Dutch looking on Apple's Dutch website it seems as if there maybe several stores that offer Apple product service like iCentre, Media Markt and MacHouse.

Sep 12, 2010 11:39 PM in response to Mr.C UK

I had to give it up. They refused to exchange it on the spot. There was no question about the malfunction and they assured me it would be resolved, but they gave me no options - just to leave the iPad with them and walk away with only a piece of paper. So the "iCentre TechZone" said they would ship it to the Netherlands Apple center for evaluation and then send me another unit within one week. Why should they part with an iPad - make the customer do it huh? At least it is being resolved.

iPad Power Button No Longer Working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.