Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Faint click/tick sounds near the trackpad area

Hi, I have a week old Macbook Pro i5. It makes light click/tick sort of noises somewhere around the trackpad/keyboard area. I am not able to figure out where and when exactly the sound comes from. It is similar to a sound that would be created when you gently tap on a glass door with a metal piece. It is sort of random and doesn't seem like hard drive noises. Although the sound is not that annoying, I am little bit concerned that it might exacerbate in future. Anyone else noticed a similar issue?

Macbook, Mac OS X (10.5.2)

Posted on Apr 28, 2010 2:20 AM

92 replies

Apr 30, 2010 5:21 PM in response to ziaulhasan

I have the same issue. Sound originates on the right lower side of my pro new i5 15. It's a soft clicking that comes and goes. I believe this is normal sound for a hard drive to make, no? After all hard drives make noise and if you wanted a silent notebook you'd have to get a SSD. Does anyone know if this sound were experiencing normal or not?

May 1, 2010 9:42 PM in response to ziaulhasan

First, look at the lower left hand corner (hard disk). To the right of it, there is a warning label that saids, "Do Not Remove Battery" with the triangle symbol right above it. On top of that, 2 screws are holding a little bracket thing. That bracket is loose. The 2 screws holding it is meant to keep it in place but also meant to be loose on purpose for some reason.

May 1, 2010 10:16 PM in response to ziaulhasan

There are actually 2 of those brackets by the way. I believe if you just open up the bottom lid then just apply it back on by hand, it would keep any moving parts from rubbing. When I first opened it, I noticed there was a mark on the inside of the bottom lid made by the one of the fan. Which allows to me to believe that Apple assembled that MBPs too tight. Therefore, causing some parts to rub. I can't be 100% sure what is making the clicking sounds, those little brackets things does make sense but I"m still not too sure. However, I do know that as soon as I removed the lid, I notice the sound is gone when I apply pressure or move the machine. I would say this isn't too much of a concern as far as for the health of the machine but it is a bit annoying.

Jun 2, 2010 11:36 PM in response to mobproctor

Thank you for this solution...it eliminated the metallic plink sound I was "suffering" through. I removed the bottom cover and noticed that the spring pegs may be making metal-to-metal contact. like mobproctor, I noticed some wearing out as well of the inside of the mbp bottom cover. Once I replaced the bottom cover, the issue was resolved. I believe it's because there was no way I could tighten that cover with the same ferocity of Apple. So at least when it comes that metallic plink sound -- the solution may just be alleviating some of the over-tightening.

thanks again everyone! you saved me a trip to the genius bar!

Faint click/tick sounds near the trackpad area

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.