Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Pro (April 2009) Mini Displayport to HDMI convertor (no audio)

Hi all,

I purchased this MacBook Pro 15" last week, it's one of the new core i7 ones. This is my first mac and so far I am pretty pleased.

Anyways, I purchased a Mini Display Port (Male) to HDMI (Female) Convertor from NCIX (link: http://ncix.com/products/?sku=41249&vpn=Y-5119HF&manufacture=Unitek). When hook up the adapter between my Mac and TV, I get video out (1080p) but no audio!

Since, I am new to this OS, maybe I missed something in the System Preferences panel? Any help is appreciated, I would love to be able to listen to my music through my home theater system. Thanks!

Message was edited by: aren55555

April 2010 MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.3), Core i7, 1680x1050

Posted on Apr 28, 2010 1:12 PM

28 replies

Apr 30, 2010 2:58 AM in response to aren55555

there appear to be a number of adaptors / cables that won't do the job properly with sound.

You can find some discussion of the matter HERE but note that some cables from Monoprice (mentioned in the article) also apparently don't work.

THis one from Griffin apparently does work.

Apple also have a brief knowledgebase item about the matter at http://support.apple.com/kb/TS3065

Cheers

Rod

May 6, 2010 3:29 PM in response to aren55555

Just received an adapter I purchased off eBay for less then $10. Works great, with audio. Purchased from eBay store "Smartlaptopparts". Make sure it says in the ad that it supports audio pass through before you buy. Also, when setting up for HDTV display, you have to go to System Preferences/Sound and select your listed TV on the 'Output' tab. That's what did it for me.

May 8, 2010 9:20 AM in response to jwag1200

Just bought a Moshi mini displayport to hdmi adaptor for my new 13" mbp. I asked the sales person whether it can pass through sound before buying. He said as long as your cables and mbp are HDMI 1.30 then it will be OK. However when I link it up with my Philips 42" TV through the Moshi adaptor and Belkin cable all I get was video only and sound was not passed through. Furthermore, there are no settings to choose for anything besides the built-in speakers. So I go back to the store but cannot get any proper replacement and the store owner advises me to look for it from Apple Store.

I then checked with Apple Stores (Hong Kong) and cannot find any mini displayport to hdmi adaptors specifying both video & audio pass-through. The Griffin Video Display converter is not available from the local Apple Store. Has someone successfully get video and sound to pass through from the new mbp. Can you suggest names for the adaptors so I can look for them from other computer stores here.

It is rather disappointing that there is no appropriate mini displayport to hdmi adaptor available from the Apple Store for the new mbp. There is just no reliable solution out there yet.

May 11, 2010 8:38 AM in response to BEN_S214

Belkin's website says its "1.8m HDMI to Mini HDMI Cable enables delivery of both high-definition video and multi-channel, digital audio from your portable digital devices to your home cinema. It offers an ideal way to connect digital camcorders and digital cameras with mini HDMI (HDMI C) ports to HDTVs or AV receiver with full-size HDMI (HDMI A) ports."
Its price is reasonable too (around USD20). Does anyone try it successfully with audio & video pass through the mbp to hdtv?

MacBook Pro (April 2009) Mini Displayport to HDMI convertor (no audio)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.