Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iTunes automatically changes the genres after update

A couple of minutes ago i updated my iTunes to the latest version.
When i started it. It started syncing my music library.
Now all my manually changed genres are all gone, replaced with the original ones... It has taken me months to get the genres as i want them and all that is gone now. Thank you Apple for that by the way! 😟

Is there any way to disable the automatic sync so that i can use my own genres again without iTunes messing around with them?

MacBook Pro 13, Mac OS X (10.6.3)

Posted on May 3, 2010 4:08 PM

22 replies

May 3, 2010 4:48 PM in response to Chris CA

No, no iPod, just iTunes. The first time I started iTunes it started syncing my library with iStores library I think. And when it was finished the library was all messed up. All genres were changed from my own to the original ones (Witch I don't like) and many song names, albums and audiobooks that I have manually modified was also messed up.
Why in the world would you do something like that? If there is no way to disable that function I will abandon iTunes until it is fixed!

May 3, 2010 6:19 PM in response to Gubbelibubben

The first time I started iTunes it started syncing my library with iStores library

No, that is not anything iTunes does.
And when it was finished the library was all messed up. All genres were changed from my own to the original ones (Witch I don't like) and many song names, albums and audiobooks that I have manually modified was also messed up.

Did you modify the tags with any other program besides iTunes?
Why in the world would you do something like that? If there is no way to disable that function I will abandon iTunes until it is fixed!

It's not a function of iTunes.
Something else changed the tags.

May 3, 2010 10:19 PM in response to Chris CA

I have worked with computers for 15 years. Trust me, I don't have any other program that could do that. The songs, genres and audiobooks were correct just before the update, I played my music in iTunes all day before the update, then during restart of the new version it started a syncronisation or rebuild of some sort and the tags of the audiofiles changed.
It was when I updated iTunes that the tags got messed up.

May 4, 2010 10:48 AM in response to Gubbelibubben

I am bumping this thread because i don´t know why this happened. Does anyone out there have the same problems i have?
All the id3-tags on my files has been replaced by some other tag info. Downloaded and replaced by iTunes when i started it the first time. Some albums my friends have made with the group name CoMa have been replaced by artist names like "Apple Trax" and so on... iTunes must have been automatically gone though my music library and update the files with new information from the iStore or something...
Major Bug!

May 4, 2010 11:06 AM in response to Gubbelibubben

iTunes must have been automatically gone though my music library and update the files with new information from the iStore or something...

None of the info is from the iTunes store except for iTunes purchased items.
If you imported CDs, the info comes from Gracenote.

Any chance you have another iTunes library?
Look for another iTunes folder on your system.

May 19, 2010 2:12 PM in response to Gubbelibubben

I have the same problem! I just discovered it yesterday, when I noticed that a lot of songs were missing from my iPhone. It turns out that I have a lot of smart playlists like "Nice jazz tracks" (genre=jazz, rating >3), and what happened was that iTunes had changed the genres to stuff like "Contemporary Jazz", "Latin Jazz" etc. which completely broke my system.

iTunes also have changed other tags. E.g. I have a lot of tracks with Nas (which is the spelling I prefer), but iTunes has now changed them to "NaS".

I believe this must have happened when I upgraded to the latest version iTunes. Please let me know if you find a fix/workaround. I went through the settings, but could not find anything about this. Also got no warnings/dialogs that this was about to happen.

INCREDIBLY ANNOYING! Shame on you, Apple!

Jun 18, 2010 9:49 AM in response to Gubbelibubben

Same problem here. All 8-bit/chiptune tracks get tagged with "Jazz" genre after I play them. And I can't change it back, it just stays there when I type my genre in manually.

I guess if it's just three of us, Apple won't bother finding any solution.

And it's not the first time my software starts behaving strangely after an update. Better not update at all then.

Jun 18, 2010 2:49 PM in response to i137

Not just the three of you, I have this problem and the problem listed in another discussion. Prior to updating, I had about 60 Genres, now I have 88, many of them with only one or two songs assigned to them. Like those of you here, it is like iTunes changed selected tracks to what it thought they should be.

My other issue is that I had several genres that started with numbers like 80's, 70's Mellow. In those genres anything I clicked on to play would play, but itunes would change the genre to Folk. I fixed that issue for now by using Eighties instead of 80's. But now it means all the decade genres are no longer lumped together.

Very irritating.

Jun 22, 2010 5:06 AM in response to Tom Haygood

hello to all.

i have the same problem as described above. it all started when i updated the itunes a few days ago. and yes, it is VERY irritating!!
my genres starting with numbers are switching not to folk, but to blues. but not every song changes its genre... weird.
right now, i'm thinking about quitting itunes - if i don't use it, the songs info stays the same. or at least that's what i hope.

and let me repeat this - VERY irritating!!

Dec 2, 2012 10:05 AM in response to Gubbelibubben

Same problem here. Got solved by disallowing "show music in the Cloud". After that simply clicking on one of my songs with a changed genre switched it back to my original "homemade" genre designation.

Funny quirk Apple has introduced here. They probably didn't expect their customers to be so "free" to change genres to their own liking. One of my genres is "TomSpecial"...

iTunes automatically changes the genres after update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.