AppleCare is valid worldwide?

Hello

I have just purchased AppleCare for the iPhone.
The reason being I will be moving overseas and wish to have some sort of protection in case anything goes wrong.

My question is, does the AppleCare valid worldwide?
My device is bought within the UK but if I take it to an Apple shop in Singapore, do they do repair/replacement there in case there is a fault? Or does Apple only fix it within the UK?

Kind regards

Posted on May 10, 2010 6:12 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 13, 2023 2:03 PM

Hello,

Though this thread hasn’t been updated in a while, we identified an opportunity here to provide some clarity about the use of AppleCare+ around the world.

AppleCare+ offers local Apple hardware service when traveling around the world, subject to parts availability, and includes same-day service in most major metropolitan areas worldwide.

You can find more information about AppleCare+ for iPhone here: AppleCare Products - iPhone - Apple (UK)

Take care!

22 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 13, 2023 2:03 PM in response to Venomrush

Hello,

Though this thread hasn’t been updated in a while, we identified an opportunity here to provide some clarity about the use of AppleCare+ around the world.

AppleCare+ offers local Apple hardware service when traveling around the world, subject to parts availability, and includes same-day service in most major metropolitan areas worldwide.

You can find more information about AppleCare+ for iPhone here: AppleCare Products - iPhone - Apple (UK)

Take care!

May 10, 2010 6:34 PM in response to Venomrush

This comes from the Apple Care information posted on Apple's Website. Here is the link to the Apple Care terms http://images.apple.com/legal/applecare/docs/EMEAAPP_iPhone_Englishv2.1.pdf

This is the applicable section. I'm sorry it differs some from the one in the US that I am familiar with, but I'm not sure if this means you can go to any of these other countries for service, just that it is offered there for purchase, just like in the US. The easiest thing to do is check with the local Apple dealer and they can explain it.

7. General Terms
a. Apple may subcontract or assign performance of its obligations to third parties but shall not
be relieved of its obligations to you in doing so.
b. Apple is not responsible for any failures or delays in performing under the Plan that are due
to events outside Apple’s reasonable control.
c. You are not required to perform preventative maintenance on the Covered Equipment to
receive service under the Plan.
d. This Plan is offered and valid only in Austria, France (excluding Corsica, overseas departments
and territories), Germany, Ireland, Italy, Spain (including Balearic Islands but excluding Canary
Islands, Ceuta, Melilla), Switzerland and the United Kingdom. This Plan is not offered to persons
who have not reached the age of majority. This Plan is not available where prohibited by law.

May 10, 2010 7:05 PM in response to Venomrush

See here:

http://www.apple.com/support/products/faqs.html

Scroll down to "Where can I purchase the AppleCare Protection Plan?" and click on link to "Terms and Conditions" which will take you to http://www.apple.com/legal/applecare/appgeos.html

I clicked on Asia Pacific PDF (since you said you're going to Singapore). Section 8 (Country Variations) states that AppleCare is only available in the country of purchase. The same goes for the US and UK versions.

Someone may have a direct link to a "worldwide" AppleCare documument, but the results are the same.

May 13, 2010 7:53 AM in response to Venomrush

When did Apple get live chat for customer support? I just went to the iPhone support pages and do not see a live chat option.

Pauline K is incorrect when it comes to the iPhone. The iPhone warranty (including the extended AppleCare warranty) is only valid in the country where the iPhone was purchased. AppleCare only has a worldwide warranty on non-iPhone products.

If I'm in the UK with my US iPhone and have a warranty issue, I cannot get a replacement warranty phone from the UK genius bar. I have to wait until I get back to the US and visit a US genius bar.

May 13, 2010 7:58 AM in response to Venomrush

The Live Chat option pops up under the telephone number.
If you can't see it then it's not available for you.

#

I do apologize for the delay. I have checked with my supervisor and the Applecare for all products does provide global support coverage.
#

Pauline K: You can contact Applecare or check out support pages to locate service providers for the iPhone throughout the world. If one is not local, you can mail in the iPhone for service.
#

May 13, 2010 8:15 AM in response to Venomrush

Pauline may want to read Section 7 of the agreement before she gives out any more incorrect info:

From Section 7:

This Plan is offered and valid only in Austria, France (excluding Corsica, overseas departments and territories), Germany, Ireland, Italy, Spain (including Balearic Islands but excluding Canary Islands, Ceuta, Melilla), Switzerland and the United Kingdom.

http://images.apple.com/legal/applecare/docs/EMEAAPP_iPhone_Englishv2.1.pdf

May 13, 2010 8:28 AM in response to snkhan

I don't see how it could be worldwide since that would mean that every authorized service center would need service units for a variety of countries. If you had a problem here in the US, I'm sure you would not want to be handed an ATT service unit to replace your unlocked UK unit.

The wording of the legal agreement makes no indication that it is worldwide when it comes to the iPhone. I know Applecare works a little differently for the iPods and Macbooks.

May 13, 2010 8:54 AM in response to Venomrush

Chat to another agent, same story.
It seems that this global coverage is not mentioned however it can be assumed it is covered globally, the assumption is made from the knowledge of staff at AppleCare within Apple. We can held them responsible if this is not the case, secondly, for the giving deceptive and misleading information to persuade me into a commercial transaction.

* You are chatting with Shreta M, an Apple Expert

Hi, my name is Shreta M. Welcome to Apple!

Shreta M: Welcome back, how can I assist you?

You: Hello, I would like to purchase AppleCare for the iPhone

Shreta M: Great!

You: However, I am moving abroad and I want to ensure that it is covered globally.

You: Could you please check if this is the case?

Shreta M: Sure!

You: If I purchase the AppleCare iPhone in the UK

You: Can I bring my iPhone to an Apple store in Singapore for example to get it fix if there are any faults arise?

Shreta M: Absolutely! The AppleCare plan is global.

You: Can you please double check this?

You: As I cannot see anywhere on Apple site in the AppleCare section that it said so.

Shreta M: That is one of the many great benefits of Apple Care.

Shreta M: Apple Care on all of our products offer global support as well as parts and labour.

You: Where does it say that on the AppleCare page?

You: Could you please help me find it?

You: I want some sort of written statement.

Shreta M: Sure! One moment while I get this information for you.

Shreta M: Thank you for your patience, I'm still checking this for you.

You: Not a problem.

You: I'll wait here

Shreta M: Thanks

Shreta M: Click here for the AppleCare Legal Terms for iPhone

You: I have read through it

You: But unable to locate where it states Applecare for all products does provide global support coverage.

You: Could you please check with your supervisor?

Shreta M: Did that link open for you?

You: Yes

You: But unable to locate where it states Applecare for all products does provide global support coverage.

Shreta M: I have confirmed with my supervisor that the plan is Global.

Shreta M: The link I provided is for the iPhone. Each Apple product has its own link for terms.

You: Within the terms.

You: It does not say anywhere that it is a global AppleCare

You: This is the reason I hesitate the purchase.

You: Your supervisor said it is global coverage but the Apple terms does not provide this evidence.

You: If I could get a written confirmation from your supervisor.

You: I can safely go ahead with the purchase for the AppleCare

Shreta M: If you needed service or support outside the country you purchased Apple Care you would contact Apple Care first

and they will refer you to where you can get service in the country you are in at that moment.

You: Well i won't know if I can get the warranty coverage until then.

You: If I buy the AppleCare now

You: But found out later I can't use it abroad outside of the UK

You: That would not be acceptable.

You: May I have your supervisor's name please?

Shreta M: I would suggest contacting the source which is AppleCare if you need more proof, my supervisor name is Eileen.

You: May I have her surname as well?

Shreta M: For security purposes we are not able to give out that information

You: The initial would be fine.

Shreta M: It is W.

You: Thank you.

You: I will contact AppleCare

You: Many thanks for your help Shreta.

Shreta M: You are welcome!

Shreta M: Thank you for visiting the Apple Store. We appreciate your business. If you would like more help, please chat with

us again.

Your chat session has ended, if you require further assistance, please wait a few moments and try chatting with us again.

May 13, 2010 9:08 AM in response to Tamara

Tamara wrote:
I don't see how it could be worldwide since that would mean that every authorized service center would need service units for a variety of countries. If you had a problem here in the US, I'm sure you would not want to be handed an ATT service unit to replace your unlocked UK unit.

The iPhone is not hardware network locked.
A service centre can use any iPhone unit and 'flash' it with any firmware of their choice including the network locked AT&T using their appropriate tools. So I don't see a problem here.

An iPhone can be easily unlocked by simply plugging into iTunes - "Firstly, complete the unlocking form. Then place a non-O2 sim into the iPhone and connect to iTunes via a USB cable. iTunes will confirm that the iPhone has been successfully unlocked." - http://shop.o2.co.uk/update/unlockmyiphone.html

So I can assume the process of re-locking the device to a network can easily be done via iTunes when the device is plugged in.

IMEI and iPhone hardware serial number is all is needed to unlock and re-lock by Apple through iTunes interface.

AppleCare is valid worldwide?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.