Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

stuck on 'restoring iphone software'

kept having problems with applications so i restored my iphone. usually a simple task, but this time around it won't get past the 'restoring iphone software' screen on itunes and the progress bar on the phone keeps getting stuck in the same spot (3/4 the way through). i let it sit for 20-30 minutes and it just stays there.

i did a hard reset three times and now i'm on my fourth time with the same problem.

any ideas?

running the most recent version of itunes (9.1.1), restarted computer, tried different usb ports.

macbook pro, Mac OS X (10.5.8)

Posted on Jun 2, 2010 7:26 PM

27 replies

Jun 2, 2010 8:23 PM in response to mcdoobie

Check this out

http://caffeineinduced.wordpress.com/2009/02/16/iphone-software-update-hangs-aft er-installing-att-wireless-card-this-reghack-may-fix-it/

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS1275
"There may be third-party software installed that modifies your default packet size in Windows by inserting a TcpWindowSize entry into your Registry. If your default packet size is set incorrectly it can cause this error. Contact the manufacturer of the software that installed the packet size modification for assistance."

Jun 3, 2010 2:41 PM in response to mcdoobie

could it be something on my macbook pro?

Yes. Software up to date? Itunes up to date? Any firewalls on your router? You might try uninstalling itunes & then reinstalling, follow the directions here as this must be done in a certain order:

1. Disconnect your iPhone, iPad, or iPod from the Mac.
2. In the Finder, locate iTunes in the Applications folder and drag it to the Trash.
3. Move the iTunes icon to the Trash.
4. Choose Go > Go to Folder.
5. Enter /System/Library/Extensions and click Go.
6. Locate the file AppleMobileDevice.kext and drag it to the Trash.
7. Choose Go > Go to Folder.
8. Enter /Library/Receipts/ and click Go.
9. Locate the file AppleMobileDeviceSupport.pkg and drag it to the Trash. If prompted, authenticate with the administrator password.
10. Restart the computer.
11. Choose Finder > Empty Trash and restart the computer.
12. Download and install the current version of iTunes.
13. Connect your device to the Mac again and open iTunes

Sep 20, 2010 11:01 AM in response to mcdoobie

Here's an update for my case: the solution suggested by wjosten only works for me ONCE.... as soon as I try the second restore/update, I'm back to square 1.... same annoying problem!

Also, I NEVER seem to have in /Library/Receipts the AppleMobileDeviceSupport.pkg file, even after reinstalling Itunes 10.

What else could I try to resolve once and for all?

Any further help anyone can offer me will be appreciated greatly.

Sep 29, 2010 9:46 AM in response to mcdoobie

I have finally resolved this problem once and for all....

After researching and googling for a while, I have identified what was causing the problem in my case, it's the "Wi-fi sync" application that I used previously when my iPhone with 3.1.3 was jailbroken.

I have downloaded the uninstaller from the web site and.... bingo!

Problem solved, at last, once and for all.

I hope this helps.

stuck on 'restoring iphone software'

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.