Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Keyboard Keeps Losing Connection

My keyboard keeps losing the connection with my iMac randomly.

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6), 3.06 GHz 1.0TB Serial ATA Drive 4GB 1066MHz DDR3 SDRAM - 2x2GB NVIDA GeForce GT

Posted on Jun 8, 2010 8:36 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 11, 2010 10:50 AM

Lots of possibilities to investigate:

Is there another Bluetooth device active that may be interfering with the connection? Can you turn off the other device if present when not needed? You might try to remove the keyboard bluetooth connection to the iMac and then redefine the keyboard to the iMac. Or you could try an SMC reset or PRAM reset of the iMac. Or power off the keyboard, remove the batteries, insert the batteries, and then power it on. Or...

Have you checked the battery level in the keyboard? It may be functional but getting very low (mine is still fine with 15% power left in the original battery but rechargeables are ready to be inserted when the batteries die).
32 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 11, 2010 10:50 AM in response to iVain

Lots of possibilities to investigate:

Is there another Bluetooth device active that may be interfering with the connection? Can you turn off the other device if present when not needed? You might try to remove the keyboard bluetooth connection to the iMac and then redefine the keyboard to the iMac. Or you could try an SMC reset or PRAM reset of the iMac. Or power off the keyboard, remove the batteries, insert the batteries, and then power it on. Or...

Have you checked the battery level in the keyboard? It may be functional but getting very low (mine is still fine with 15% power left in the original battery but rechargeables are ready to be inserted when the batteries die).

Jun 30, 2010 9:15 AM in response to iVain

I have the same issue.

I've turned off the keyboard and turned it on.

It seems that the Mac still sees it because it acknowledges it disappears and when it comes back

BUT.

None of the key strokes are recognized by programs.

Interestingly if you call up the "Show Keyboard Viewer" ... it shows when and if I tap a key. Now that's pretty weird.

My only solution so far is to reboot. But I may try the "disconnect" bluetooth device method I've read in this forum next.

Nov 11, 2010 6:49 AM in response to iVain

I have the same issue too. Using an aluminium bluetooth keyboard and magic mouse with a 24" aluminium iMac (iMac8,1) running 10.6.4.

The connection to the keyboard keeps getting lost for no particular reason. Sometimes it comes back, sometimes you have to press the power button on the keyboard to get it to reconnect. And occasionally the magic mouse disconnects itself.

There are no other bluetooth devices around the mac so the only interference, if there is any, would be coming from the apple peripherals themselves.

I don't want to go back to wired equivalents, but this situation is becoming unworkable. Could it be an issue with the keyboard's firmware?

Nov 11, 2010 6:57 AM in response to chiff

Have you tried making the keyboard a 'favourite' in Bluetooth Preferences - it resolved my Bluetooth connectivity issues with my MagicMouse?
System Preferences>Bluetooth - select your keyboard on the left and then click on the 'cog' at the bottom and then choose 'add to favourites'.
While you're at it you may as well do the same for the MagicMouse.
Might be worth doing a restart after doing this.

Nov 11, 2010 9:26 AM in response to Paul_31

Thanks Paul - I have given it a go. While in the blutooth prefPane I also noticed there were a lot of pairings that were no longer in use so I deleted all those too.

It's worth mentioning that 'Add to favourites' doesn't appear in the cog menu until after you've selected 'Show More Info'.

Will report on how it goes. Fingers crossed.

Nov 26, 2010 3:40 PM in response to Philbert27

I've set both the keyboard and mouse to 'favourites' and it still keeps happening.

Also, on the odd occasion when I want to Bootcamp into Windoze, holding the alt key down doesn't work because the keyboard doesn't get recognised quickly enough. So, I have a wired keyboard plugged in as well just for dual booting.

I too am starting to question the usefulness of this £60 keyboard.

????????????????

Dec 3, 2010 2:13 PM in response to Sewer Sleuth

Ok, I've been running it with the mouse and keyboard set to 'favourite' for a week or so and the keyboard keeps dropping out with regular monotony. The mouse never appears to drop out. The keyboard worked faultlessly for most of this year, and the problems only started quite recently after the iMac did an Apple software update - I think from 10.6.3 to 10.6.4 but could be wrong.

Anyone got a good fix, apart from going back to the old faithful with its added bonus of a separate number pad?

Dec 16, 2010 3:07 AM in response to Sewer Sleuth

I had this problem as well, only noticed it happening a couple of weeks ago, but it seems to stop when i swith the bluetooth off on my iphone (4.2.1) - so in my case it seems (at the moment anyway) to be the iphone that was interfering.

for info keyboard and track pad are set to favourites and have removed ipad and iphone from bluetooth paired devices.

Keyboard Keeps Losing Connection

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.