Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Unable to import my iPhoto library to Aperture.

I am trying to switch over to Aperture from iPhoto. I wanted to import around 50,000 photos from iPhoto, however every time I tried (3 to date) the library gets corrupted and the photos are unusable. Is there a limit as to how many photos you can import? Obviously the "Import iPhoto library" option is non functional. I have the latest version of both iPhoto and Aperture.

Mac Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.3)

Posted on Jun 12, 2010 5:43 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 12, 2010 6:57 AM

What Mac are you using and how much memory do you have? I was able to import an iPhoto library of about 15K images in one shot without issue. I would try the following if you have not already done so: 1) repair or rebuild the Aperture Library to remove the existing corruption, or create a new library, 1) repair permissions, 2) repair disk-using Apple Disk Utility (you will need to start up from another disk, 3) recognize you may have one or more images in iPhoto that are corrupted--try importing a few images and then gradually build up to 5K to 10K images (or less) at a time into Aperture to isolate the problem. You should also consider turning off face detection initially.
3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 12, 2010 6:57 AM in response to Ferenc Szepfalusy

What Mac are you using and how much memory do you have? I was able to import an iPhoto library of about 15K images in one shot without issue. I would try the following if you have not already done so: 1) repair or rebuild the Aperture Library to remove the existing corruption, or create a new library, 1) repair permissions, 2) repair disk-using Apple Disk Utility (you will need to start up from another disk, 3) recognize you may have one or more images in iPhoto that are corrupted--try importing a few images and then gradually build up to 5K to 10K images (or less) at a time into Aperture to isolate the problem. You should also consider turning off face detection initially.

Jun 13, 2010 5:00 AM in response to wessew

Thanks for your suggestions. I've already tried most of these. I didn't have the time to move the photos is smaller chunks. I have the latest mac pro with 12 gig memory and 2 terabytes of storage. Memory and storage is not the issue. Apperture craps out around 20K of pictures and gets confused about the information. It is very difficult for Apperture to handle projects which are non contiguous in date value.

Jun 13, 2010 6:37 AM in response to Ferenc Szepfalusy

Would you consider doing an Import From iPhoto in which you leave the masters in iPhoto?

As suggested, you may also have corrupt images in the iPhoto database. If you have Aperture’s Activity Window open, did it give you any indication where the problem was occurring.

I understand you may be getting frustrated, but your description of the problem has me wondering what you are seeing. You can try to repair any problem and redo the import (first select the option: “do not import duplicates”).

"Photos unusable" may be describing the weird image Aperture displays when it cannot find the master. If your Aperture Library is functional, you can use the iPhoto Browser within Aperture to import individual photos that had a problem. But I’m not sure if you are at the stage where you have already generated Previews and if it’s just the Previews that are weird and need to be regenerated, or the Thumbnails that need to be redone. If only the Thumbnails are bad, post back for further instructions to save correct them.

Be sure and disable Faces and Places in Preferences while you are initially building up your Aperture Library; you can turn them on later if you wish.

Unable to import my iPhoto library to Aperture.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.