Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 4 hearing aid compatible?

I've spent time looking over the specs for the iPhone 4 on the Apple.com website, and I cannot find any reference to hearing aid (i.e., telecoil) compatibility. Anyone know if this will play nice with the telecoil? I use a cochlear implant, and using a phone that will not interact with a telecoil isn't an option for me. I'm dying to upgrade from my currently horribly inadequate cell phone.

iMac, Mac OS X (10.4.11)

Posted on Jun 20, 2010 3:10 PM

12 replies

Jun 20, 2010 3:30 PM in response to Rodef

I would like to know too, Rodef. Been waiting for a couple of years for Apple to show respect for this market, the hearing impaired and cochlear implant. Beyond me why they don't tap in on it. Baby boomer etc. I own lots of apple products due to my career. This lack of respect for a simple device installed within the iphone is very demeaning. I do know that we can wear a neck loop. By why? Such a hassle. Want to be able to pick up the phone like every one else. TTY. Don't even suggest. Those that mentioned that don't even know what it is. I hope apple got this straightened out. A loophole in the law is a stupid excuse. Guess the best way to know is to wait a few weeks and go down to the ATT store and try it.

Jun 23, 2010 3:22 PM in response to rlbrownrlb

Thanks for checking ribrownrib. That is really unfortunate. I still love Apple's stuff but their lack of respect really rubs the wrong way. Still give it a try when the hoopla dies down. If it doesn't, will have to check out those HTC everybody also seems to like, which does have a good Tcoil rating. But I really wanted to have my whole system insync.

Jun 23, 2010 10:09 PM in response to begnor

I had a chance to play with an iPhone4 today at work.

Without telecoil, there was of course feedback and conversation was impossible. With telecoil there was some electronic noise, but not so much that I could not have a phone conversation. Previous iPhones have been very noisy but this one is definitely an improvement. The volume in my ear was not all that loud, but that may be fixable if I get my aid reprogrammed. The teardown on iFixit looks like it shows a coil at the receiver, but that's probably just the receiver coil and not a dedicated telecoil.

I'm going to play some more when they are more available--you should probably do the same.

Jun 24, 2010 5:13 AM in response to Steve Weller

Very interesting, Mr. Weller. I plan to stop by either an AT&T store or the Apple store and give it a listen with my telecoil and see it how it goes.

Another interesting item. The technical specs page for the iPhone 4 on Apple.com now shows an entry for hearing aid compatibility; I swear it wasn't there a few days ago. But the listing appears to break it down by which wireless network you're using, which strikes me as a little odd. Telecoil compatibility seems more to me about the phone's hardware, not which network it is subscribed to.

Jun 24, 2010 7:22 AM in response to Rodef

The Apple site now says:

Rating for Hearing Aids
3G network - 850/1900MHz: M4, T4
2G network - 850MHz: M3, T3
2G network - 1900MHz: M2, T3

The reason for the difference in T numbers is that the various network technologies use different frequencies, powers, and modulation schemes. This affects the nature of the interference from the radios and how much is picked up by the telecoil during transmission (this is in addition to the noise caused by the CPU and other electronics). My experience with the RAZR is that 2G is much worse than 3G, so these numbers make sense.

The M numbers seem to reflect the same pattern of interference, but must be measured without feedback present, because, for me at least, audio feedback kills everything else and gives it an M0 rating.

Has anyone successfully used any phone with their mic?

Jun 24, 2010 7:29 AM in response to Ryan007

There is a legal requirement for phone manufacturers to offer HAC phones that kicks in when they have a certain number of models, so the timing of the support may be more thanks to the regulatory people than Apple.

From my brief play with the phone yesterday I did not get the impression that iPhone4 telecoil experience was on a par with the incredible quality and attention to detail present on the other features of the phone.

The Retina Display is amazing; what we need now is for the hearing aid support to be so good that Steve Jobs to stands up on stage and touts the "Cochlea Audio" of the device.

Jun 24, 2010 5:00 PM in response to Steve Weller

Some outstanding news in this topic.

I stopped by the Apple Store on the way home from work to have a listen. An Apple store employee used my current cellphone to answer a call I made from the iPhone 4 they had on a table for demo. With the telecoil, I was able to hear and understand him perfectly. I had been waiting almost three years for a moment like that to happen.

Didn't pick one up tonight, because the line for customers without reservations to get an iPhone was insanely long, but I got one reserved, and will be getting an email to let me know when I can come in to pick it up.

iPhone 4 hearing aid compatible?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.